This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rotobaler Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotobaler Questions
    Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 5:08pm
Two people, two garage jacks, one come along, two hours.  Could do it in half the time on a second time.  I used to have a 14 frame tutorial on line but cant find it.  I can talk anyone through it if interested.

Edited by Dave Richards (WV) - 11 Nov 2023 at 5:14pm
Sponsored Links

200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2023 at 8:05pm
Make sure the twine knife is new and the tension band on the left rear is not stuck to the drum.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2023 at 1:11pm
Basically an electric over drive,I have a parts baler with one on it.
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2023 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Travis2766 Travis2766 wrote:

What is the gearbox? on the driveline for, why do some rotobalers have it and others don’t? It this the fast wrap that I’ve heard about?

Yup, I believe so, but I've only seen one once, and that was on a baler sitting in a fencerow. They had an electric overdrive that would kick it into warp speed when the twine arm dropped. My understanding was that some of the (many) problems with the continuous functionality/bakcfeed conveyor of the #10's was when the high speed tie didn't kick in: Didn't tie fast enough and while it was wrapping, hay kept accumulating and built up too much backlog ahead of the pickup.

Of course, there were many other issues with the #10's continuous baling functionality - that was only one small part of it. The ones I've seen had to maintain  a pretty slow ground speed, or the upper bypass conveyor would backfeed and drop too much hay in front of the pickup and would start rolling hay into a ball right in the pickup where it was dropping. It was a pretty wacky idea to begin with: The baler was designed to be fed at a certain rate, and suddenly during the bypass period you're feeding twice as much for a short period once the bale ejects. So you either have to maintain a slow enough ground speed to handle twice the feed rate, even though you're only handling it for a small portion of the time and the rest of the time you're not using the baler to its full pickup potential. Or you travel at a decent speed to use the baler's normal pickup capacity, then it gets over-crowded when it does its bypass thing and starts balling up in the pickup.

I think Allis had some of the best engineering in its time, but for that particular instance someone didn't know how to design for steady-state operation.

Edited by DanielW - 08 Nov 2023 at 12:25pm
Travis2766 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis2766 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2023 at 11:06am
What is the gearbox? on the driveline for, why do some rotobalers have it and others don’t? It this the fast wrap that I’ve heard about?

Edited by Travis2766 - 08 Nov 2023 at 11:07am
190XT Series III, D17 Series IV, D15 Series II, All Crop 66 and a whole mess of equipment.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 10:50am
Originally posted by DanielW DanielW wrote:

I'm going to be the odd person out here: If the roads are quiet-ish, country roads (or if you can find a re-routing down country roads) and you don't have any other means of transport, I wouldn't be too hesitant to tow it. Good tires are a must, and you'll want to stop every 20 minutes and pump some grease to the wheels.

I towed an all crop 66 and a 90 from one farm to another, just over 130 km (80 miles). Both wide, awkward tows, and the 66 has bushings rather than bearings. Both went just fine. Probably made a few enemies on the road with how slow I was going, but no major incidents.

See this link, where another guy talks about towing them:

Actually main roads are better more lane width,4 lane even better.We once pulled a Roto Baler thru Richmond VA on Broadstreet before they built I95 and I 64.I pulled a NH 851 over 200 miles
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 10:22am
I'm going to be the odd person out here: If the roads are quiet-ish, country roads (or if you can find a re-routing down country roads) and you don't have any other means of transport, I wouldn't be too hesitant to tow it. Good tires are a must, and you'll want to stop every 20 minutes and pump some grease to the wheels.

I towed an all crop 66 and a 90 from one farm to another, just over 130 km (80 miles). Both wide, awkward tows, and the 66 has bushings rather than bearings. Both went just fine. Probably made a few enemies on the road with how slow I was going, but no major incidents.

See this link, where another guy talks about towing them:

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 8:38am
They all have a swinging hitch.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 6:45am
A guy hauled one to the NY GOTO in June on a declkover trailer. He unloaded it with a winch and a trailer tongue dolly like this 600 lb. Trailer Dolly (harborfreight.com) .
IIRC, he had a wide board he used for the tire under the pickup side tire.

I towed my cousin's Rotobaler about 20 miles when he bought it. it's been a long time, but I didn't think there was any way to "narrow" the hitch for transport. I hauled it from the regular (center) hitch on my truck. It was the first time I hauled a "left hand" implement and it wasn't fun.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 5:15am
I have hauled three on my car trailer. They come apart pretty easy. About an hour to get it apart. Hard part is to get a loader to lift the parts on the trailer.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Travis2766 Travis2766 wrote:

Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

I've pulled a few one for over 150 miles,you need an offset hitch and make sure the baler is closed up.Bring a couple spare tires and a grease gun.

Closed up, so the hitch does swing?

Not exactly swing you need to pull the pins in the hitch,put a block behind the outboard wheel and back up.Don't forget you'll need an AC ball to hook up.
dkattau View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkattau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 8:38pm
They pull just fine with the hitch swung into the transport position. 30 mph, grease the hubs every hour.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 7:13pm
A hundred miles is a long way
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis2766 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

I've pulled a few one for over 150 miles,you need an offset hitch and make sure the baler is closed up.Bring a couple spare tires and a grease gun.

Closed up, so the hitch does swing?
190XT Series III, D17 Series IV, D15 Series II, All Crop 66 and a whole mess of equipment.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 7:12pm
The pick up head comes off pretty easily. I would take the head off, take the tongue off and put it all on a trailer. If it is an orange top, it is at least 60 years old. Your choice but i would rather be taking it apart in a safe place than on the highway
1963D17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1963D17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 6:19pm
My sons 1998 Silverado has a square tube receiver hitch. I got a tube that fit inside it. Welded a receiver hitch box on the end of the tube. Slid it in the open end on the right hand side placing the hitch box behind the rh wheel. Drilled a hole thru both pieces to hold it in place. Worked perfect. Hauled two All-Crops and three Roto-Balers home 30 miles and they traveled right down the middle of the road.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 5:28pm
Darwin W. Kurtz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 4:44pm
I would suggest hauling it, 100 miles on old tires and old bearings is almost always a challenge, although they are pretty wide from outside tire to outside tire. We loaded one once, set it on the trailer with the wheels over lapping each side (Too wide to back up onto any standard trailer ) Pretty awkward to pick up, I suggest an 80-100 horse tractor & loader....our 60 horse barely got it lifted up
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 4:33pm
I pulled one across the GW bridge, in NY, once.  They hadda open the toll guards, but I made it with a coupla inches to spare...  I hauled it on a car trailer, it had one wheel on the trailer, and cribbing under the frame, and the other wheel was sticking out about a foot!  Wouldn't do it for money, nowadays!
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 4:05pm
can you WINCH it onto a trailer with a boat winch ? .... 100 Miles is a LONG WAY.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis2766 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 3:27pm
Have always wanted a rotobaler and I found one that’s about 100 miles away. How much of a pain to tow would this be? Does the tounge swing over to make it narrower? How wide is one when towed? I know I’ll have to stop to grease the wheels often, I’m not sure if there’s a loader on that end to load on a trailer so towing may be my best option. It’s an orange top if that makes a difference. Just want to know what I may be getting in to. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic