This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEW KEY SWITCH EARLY B110

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW KEY SWITCH EARLY B110
    Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 4:28am
Early B110 with push button start. Key is just on/off switch. Old key has been broken off inside tumblers for decades. Dad before and now I just used a thumb nail to turn the key switch back and forth. Hated leaving it like that but it still worked until now. Last week, it took a lot of time and effort to finally get spark to run. Not much of a surprise considering how long it has sat this summer so I didn't think much about it at first. However, after working the old girl a little, it would not shut off with the key switch so I figure now is the time to replace it. Apparently, replacement key switches are NLA and thus rarer than hen's teeth to locate so I assumed that I could use a 2 post on/off key switch just like my WD45 has. Tractor only has 1 wire going to key switch so I connected yellow wire from the new switch to the tractor and then grounded the black wire from the new key switch to the dash. Tractor still keeps running regardless of which position the switch is in. Did I wire the new switch incorrectly???? OR maybe the old switch was still fine but something else on the tractor is not recognizing that the key switch is off?? Any ideas folks?? Thanks
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
Sponsored Links

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 5:53am

The switch on your B110 works in reverse to a normal switch.

The Engine is stopped by grounding the wire to the Points.

So the new switch needs to be open (off) for the engine to run, and closed (on) to stop the engine.

G
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 7:40am
I think I still have a few NOS magneto key switches available. Send me a PM with an Email address for a reply with a picture.  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

The switch on your B110 works in reverse to a normal switch.

The Engine is stopped by grounding the wire to the Points.

So the new switch needs to be open (off) for the engine to run, and closed (on) to stop the engine.

G

Regardless, shouldn't it still work(shut off) in 1 position or the other even if it is opposite of what would be considered normal OR do I really need to connect the black(ground??) wire from the new switch to the tractor wire?? If so, what to do with the yellow switch wire-ground it or just leave it hanging?? Thanks
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 5:00am

Yes it should work. Just connect one post of the switch to ground.

G

The beginning of this Video explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Ud3nWnG68

Edited by Gary - 02 Nov 2023 at 5:06am
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 8:09am
The NOS magneto key switches I have are single terminal switches that ground through the housing with the key on the off position.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 12:41am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

The NOS magneto key switches I have are single terminal switches that ground through the housing with the key on the off position.

Yeah, that was what it had before I took it off and can't seem to find anywhere. Even using the original AC or Simplicity part numbers, I did find a couple listings on ebay listed as NOS but they clearly showed double terminals on the switch.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 6:24am
Sounds like a bad ground. If all else fails, run a ground wire to the block.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2023 at 2:17am
Well, did a little more yard cleanup with the B110 the other day and now the new key switch appears to be in working order as in it will now shut off the tractor when I want it to. No clue why it wouldn't work before but now does without doing anything else to it. Only issue now is that it works opposite of what would be normally desired. On and running, I can take the key out-LOL. Key switch off and the key won't come out. I know I just have to reverse the wires but that will have to wait until the next time I need to work under the dash for something else. Not unhooking all that stuff again unless I really need to.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 6:46am
The reason that you are able to remove the key while the engine in running and not when it's shut of is: you have a distributer switch that is a NO construction, not a magneto switch that is a NC construction. The NO switches have 2 terminals and need an extra wire to make a ground when the switch is in the run position, thus holding the key when used to ground/kill a magneto . A magneto switch will have only 1 terminal and will self ground when in the off position, this will allow the key to be removed when in the off position.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 7:03am

You won't gain anything by reversing the wires.

You will still need to turn the switch 'ON' to complete the circuit and ground the points.

G
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic