This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"AC 615 backhoe diesel" Fluid recommendations.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "AC 615 backhoe diesel" Fluid recommendations.
    Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 6:01pm
My manual calls for outdated fluids or hard to find/expensive oils. Correct me if i'm wrong but the newer oils with additives like zink may not be good for yellow metals and the old seals in my 1970 ish tractor. This tractor has hydraulic reservoir, Torque tube/power steering reservoir, transmission reservoir, final drives' reservoirs' and engine crankcase reservoir. I believe it has a dry clutch and wet shuttle clutch. Should I worry about the additives in this old tractor? What are you using in your pre 1975 tractors? Thanks
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 6:14pm
I've used Walmart 'universal tractor fluid' in my 1957 D-14s for 2 decades......

Unless YOU have owned it since day one, you have NO idea what 'oils' have been in the machine...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 8:29pm
Old oils had ZINC , new oils have much removed . Zinc was a antiwear additive and needed in many engines . In my cycles I use recing oils now marketed as containing zinc as flat teppet and cam lobes require it . 
  ATF in torque converter , universal tractor fluid in other areas , hydraulics probably calls for 10/30 oil or a good non-foaming hydraulic oil . Engine Oil a oil to meet your area and bepending on gas or diesel - a good farm rated oil or Shell Rotel , Mobil Delvac or other such in 15/40 weight or 30 w oil
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 10:24pm
for the hydraulic / transmission / steering, we use UTF or tractor fluid as Coke said... You might even use it in the final drives.. Many tractors do these days... You can use 80-90 gear lube in the finals if you prefer.. Nothing magic, just generic gear lube.

We have a 1975 FORD 4600, and it uses tractor fluid for everything except the engine which is 15w 40 diesel oil.

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Oct 2023 at 10:26pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
sparky64 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 8:22am
Thanks for the repies. My next question, while looking over the past filters I have used they are all over the place. How do i find out what actually should be used on this machine. Currently as follows Motor napa 1411, hydraulics Wix 51422, Torque/steering Agco 70237000, and Fuel napa 3354 installed 10/2023. I have no idea what really should be used. Thanks
sparky64 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 1:52pm
I just sent an e-mail to Wix maybe they can help?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 6:03pm
NAPA has a good book that should list all the filters needed... I think their ON LINE web page SUCKS.. I have had little luck finding anything unless i have a good idea of what i need first..

Here is a list from All State .... you could cross reference the numbers shown to WIX / Baldwin / Fram... etc. .... their site lists " filters".... you have to figure out for yourself if its engine / hdyraulic / trans.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 6:07pm
type your filter number HERE and it will give you cross reference to other manufacturers.

sparky64 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 9:15am
Still confused with all the diffrent oils I could buy.  As of now I will buy a GL4 gear oil for transmission, 15w-40 engine oil, A cross reference for am303, and some reputable hydraulic fluid suitable for the temperatures I run in. As for filters I reached out to Wix, Donaldson, and Baldwin for a consensus. I used the cross reference table from above to double check. Thanks for everyone's input.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 9:48am
I've used that reference a lot Steve to cross Allis-Chalmers, and Fiat-Allis part numbers over to Baldwin, and Fram filters. 

Some of the filters required for the service on my 11-B are not supported by Baldwin for some reason hence the Fram usage. 

Never had any Fram failures myself and always good service from the brand.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 2:49pm
sparky... 303 i think is an old John Deere spec.. A lot of that stuff these days is crap.. Look at the BACK of the 5 gallon bucket and make sure it lists 20 DIFFERENT specs from various manufacturers.. That will guarantee you are getting a GOOD oil, and nut just low grade leftovers.    ALLIS is 821 spec.... Might also say Alison C4,  FORD M2C134 , CASE, IH, CAT T02.. etc... If there is NOTHING on the back, just "303" , you might want to pass on that.

Edited by steve(ill) - 27 Oct 2023 at 2:54pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 2:52pm
you dont have to spend a lot of money, just make sure your buying a quality oil... example...

This Super Tech transmission fluid contains critically balanced frictional characteristics that ensure precise clutch and wet brake operation with unsurpassed chatter suppression. It also prevents acid formation for exceptional protection against rust and corrosion and meets the following requirements: Allison C-4; John Deere J20A/B/C, J21A, Hygard J14 B/C, Type 303; Case JIC-145, Hy-Tran, MS-1207, 1208, 1209 and 1220; Caterpillar TO-2; Deutz Allis; Ford New Holland ESN-M2C134-D; International Harvester HY-Tran B-6; Kubota; and many more.

Edited by steve(ill) - 27 Oct 2023 at 2:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic