This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D grader back to work - well for a bit anyway

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LangdonStevenson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D grader back to work - well for a bit anyway
    Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 6:53am
So I’ve been running my little Allis D grader for the last two weeks since I got the rams back in it. It’s been a heap of fun (and I’m developing some very nice extra upper body muscle thanks to the steering!) but today I had a setback.

Working on a driveway for a customer and something went “clunking” in the left tandem housing and the left rear wheel locked up.

“Oh dear” said me, or words to that effect. I know what that means (probably).

So I pulled off the inspection hatches and to my actual surprise I see that the joiner link on the rear drive chain has ceased to “join”. Looks like the clip must have come off, then the plate, then the link just popped out.  I was expecting much worse but was pleasantly disappointed.

So half an hour with a couple of screwdrivers, a fair amount of tedious “back and forthing”, and a LOT of oil later I got the chain out of the tandem housing. It looks to be undamaged and in good condition (and the sprockets too). But all of the components of the joiner link are now in the murky depths of the tandem sump. I’m not looking forward to draining that and fishing them out, but I guess I’m going to have to.

So here’s a question: does anyone know what oil I should be running to lubricate the tandem drive chains?

Langdon

Edited by LangdonStevenson - 18 Oct 2023 at 6:55am
Sponsored Links

DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 1:59pm
My D grader had similar problems when I first got it. One of the drive chains from the left side chain box was in the cab. I first took of one of the covers on the chain box and used a magnet to try and find the pin from the master link of the chain. I found the pin, metal chips and a badly battered socket. Some idiot had dropped a socket and didn't bother to retrieve it. I then drained the oil and cleaned the chain box and replace both chains.
The next problem was a loose wheel on one axle. The washer that pushed the tapered bearings hit a step in the axle before the bearings were tight. The solution was having a cup shaped washer made that would go over the step on the axle. The D grader was now ready to work and earn it's keep.

Jack of all trades, master of none
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 7:30am
We used 80-90 in the AD40. Don't know if that's the spec,just what we used.
LangdonStevenson View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LangdonStevenson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 6:45am
Hi Don, thanks for sharing that - seriously, they left a socket in the chain box?! I remembered that I have a magnetic stick, so I pulled that out and went fishing with it. Got the link and the cheek plate - and the broken pieces of another cheek plate!

Here's the scary part: the cheek plate of the links are secured by cotter pins / split pins.  I did not find either split pin, or even parts of them!  My guess is that the bozo who repaired this chain after it broke last time didn't put the cotter pin in at all!  So it was only a matter of time before the cheek plate fell off and the chain disassembled.  Talk about an idiot mistake.

Edited by LangdonStevenson - 21 Oct 2023 at 6:45am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LangdonStevenson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 6:46am
Thanks Steve, much appreciated.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 5:36pm
I am an engineer and not an equipment operator but I grew up on a grain farm in southern Saskatchewan. When I operated any of the machines I almost became a part of the machine. The sound of the engine and the feel of the controls. When I first got my D grader I quickly realized that it had been designed by someone that had never operated a grader. The left and right sides of the hydraulic blade control valves where on each side of  the steering wheel. The front wheel tilt control was on the left side so I relocated hydraulic line so that the left and right blade controls were together on the left side 0f the steering wheel and the tilt control was on the right. Now the were workable. I did many changes to this machine to make it a treat to operate.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LangdonStevenson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 5:47pm
Yes, not the best layout of controls. Mine at least are all together on the right side of the cab. The valve block isn't in great shape though. Probably going to have to do something about that. The joy of old machines...
cuznguido View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuznguido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 9:27pm
The beauty of that control block is in its adaptability and simplicity. Unless the valves have damaged the only maintenance they usually need is o rings and with care, it is a simple job.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 4:21pm
My D grader only had three hydraulic spools, a double on the left that I set up to control the blade and a single on the right that controlled the tilting front axle. When I finished all my modifications and features I had new four spool on the left and the old two spool on the right to accommodate all the new hydraulic functions with one left over to control a power circle that I was working on to install.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LangdonStevenson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 7:39pm
I'm going to have to do some work on my control block. Two of the support brackets that holds the rod that all of the levers pivot around are broken - the rod is currently held in place with a length of wire! Well, it's working I guess...
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LangdonStevenson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 7:42pm
Update: I managed to find a distributor in Sydney for Diamond USA chains and they have a replacement joiner link ready for me to pick up, so Benjamin Jr will be back to 6x4 wheel drive next week. I bought the $20 high strength version (not sure why) but there was also a $14 "normal" strength version. Either way, I'm not sure that I'd want to replace the whole chain...
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LangdonStevenson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2023 at 4:11pm
Great, thank you for that Alvina28.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 12:55pm
Another change that I made was to cut 1' off each end of the blade. I was primarily using it to maintain and build private driveways and 12' was just too wide.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic