This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6 Rubber Fuel Lines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DieselBumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6 Rubber Fuel Lines
    Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 4:15pm
I have a 6000 motor that needs new rubber fuel lines. The old ones are the originals with the cotton jacketing that has been painted over. I took a few apart, and the fittings look like screw-on hydraulic fittings, but the diameters don't make sense. It looks as if a -8 nut is paired with a -6 inside part. Did AC have custom fittings made for extra thick hoses?
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 10:58pm
Lot of the older AC hoses used Air Quip fittings , were replacable hose fittings and ends were reused on new hoses . Finding the hose is not easy so full replacement is sometimes easier , with factory ends already crimped to hose . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DieselBumpkin View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DieselBumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 11:24pm
Are the Aeroquip fittings which you are referring to the crimp type or the hydraulic screw type? I did a search before I posted, and I saw some post from around March of this year about a HD5 where the fittings were deemed unobtanium and the solution was to reuse the fitting but put a hose clamp on it or something. The fittings in his picture(s) look a lot different from mine. Mine are like the Parker 30 or 42 series fittings where you can put everything back together with a vise and a good flare nut or box wrench.

One of the HD6 parts list books calls out the connector as being made by Sealastic. The NWO-run search engines like Google and Startpage are giving me total garbage results, but from what I can tell, the company has/had some relation to Detroit Diesel.

I may just try to make due with what I have. I tried enough hydraulic hose variations that I think that I can make something work. It looks like 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, and maybe 1/2 NPT threading being involved along with -4, -6, and -8 fittings. They don't have to be tight like hydraulic lines, but at the same time, they have to not leak.

My guess--and this is just a guess--is that AC overbuilt the fuel lines using hydraulic hose to make them long-lasting before steel braid fuel lines were a thing.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 5:44am
This braided fuel line is SAE100R5 series hose and is available in a plethora of sizes. It is much more expensive than standard hydraulic hose which is not DOT certified. SAE100R1 series hose is what I usually replace it with. 

Much of what I've done on my own trucks is use Parker 801 "Push-Lok" hose on the low pressure side of the fuel system. 

Edited by Codger - 13 Oct 2023 at 6:04am
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 8:33am
I used Parker replacible ends on small hydraulic lines as I use to stock them at Mfg company I serviced . They were a non skive fitting that you threaded onto hose outer cover - then it was threaded to accept a incert that expanded hose into unit. 
 On my HD5G - I ended up replacing all the Aeroquip fttings with NPT threaded 2 braid hose from Fleet Farm , which called for making up fittings to attach to existing steel lines on machine . Lot of those steel lines also seem to have patches brazed to them after 65 years of service .
 Fuel lines aso replaced with NPT pipe thread fittigs in 1/4" size . 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 9:07am
i replaced many of mine with hyd hose and npt fittings after the fire.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DieselBumpkin View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DieselBumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

This braided fuel line is SAE100R5 series hose and is available in a plethora of sizes. It is much more expensive than standard hydraulic hose which is not DOT certified. SAE100R1 series hose is what I usually replace it with.
THANK YOU for this information. I pulled up a chart, and the R5 dimensions look much closer to what the fittings were designed for.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic