This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Truck tires?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Truck tires?
    Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 8:00am
My pickup is going to need new shoes before winter. I'm looking for suggestions on what tires people like or dislike. I have a 2015 F150 4x4. Most of my driving is highway but my cabin is up north and there are a lot of gravel roads and not too maintained in winter. So I so need something for mud and snow conditions. Not looking for something super aggressive but functional. I do tow a 10,000 lb trail a few times a year. Please no comments on brand of truck. Thanks, Mike
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 8:12am
same truck here.. It has 275 x 55 x 20 tires...  75% on the State highway and the rest gravel roads, corn fields, dirt roads......... I bought Yokohama tire tires 2 years ago. Great on highway and off road both.. I did quite a bit of reading prior to purchase............ Geolander A/T

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Oct 2023 at 8:51am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 8:34am
On my 2013 F150 I am running Sumitomo LT rated all terrain tires, heavy duty suspension so the ride can get bumpy at times but I like them. My 1999 F150 has Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek P rated tires, pretty aggressive tread but great for wet fields and muddy roads at the farm. Snow? What is snow? Oh, it's that pretty that Ole Shameless can't seem to get to me.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 10:11am
Hankook dynapros on my 1 ton dually. Traction is good and they seem to be wearing well. Any one you talk to that has them had been well satisfied with them.

Edited by DanWi - 06 Oct 2023 at 10:12am
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 8:04pm
Thanks for the replies. My dealer did recommend the Yokohama and the Hankook tires. They do have a sale coming up. Again thanks.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 8:12pm
I put 4 of these Falken Wildpeak A/T tires on my 2018 Ram last year and I like them as they work well in the mud and snow and haven't affected my gas mileage. https://www.falkentire.com/wildpeak/attrail?gclid=CjwKCAjw4P6oBhBsEiwAKYVkq7OxJXpYxqlYWBBx6qt--NaOpY4kNLrLy3kQuso882oJpZHFyi4LORoCoUIQAvD_BwE

Edited by klinemar - 06 Oct 2023 at 8:15pm
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 9:00pm
I know people like the look of big aggressive truck tires, but my 2020 F150 still has the original Good Year Wrangle Fortitude's that it came with.
Truck has 41,000 miles now but once a week I travel 165 miles on the highway, then 44 miles on gravel bush road. Then for my week in the mine I run 6.2 miles daily from camp to mine site on gravel and blasted rock. And we get brutal winters up there.

I will by those again when the time comes. I haven't even had a flat with them yet despite everyone else running 10 plies up there.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 9:02pm
Research Mastercraft ‘Arctic Snow’. Or something like this that. Had a set years ago on a Ford Taurus, it was amazing what car could go thru. Those were not ordinary ‘mud & snow’ radials, but specifically designed for deep snow. In the spring I rotated those tires to the back, as that car was front wheel drive.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 8:33am
I’ve got Michelin defender ltx’s on my pickup they’re really great on road and very good off road. I changed from a very aggressive off road to these. Off road they’re nearly as good but the road manners are a vast improvement.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 08 Oct 2023 at 8:34am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 1:34pm
Other than finding a Dealer that handles them, I installed Four Hercules(In Oklahoma) as Coopers failed.  Are a TAD wider but are designated for my 16" rims and load range E for my needs.  Quieter pattern but aggressive enough for soft soils, wet or snow so far.  Been on for two years now.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 11:02am
Mike, what size rims are on yours?  I have 18s on mine.
Breakfast or lunch one of these days?  I'll get ahold of John too.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 11:30am
Hey Ted. I have 18's also. Breakfast or lunch sounds good. Been awhile. Yea give John a call. 
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 9:42pm
the last set of tires I put on my one ton 4x4 when I was still working in Omaha, they are deep tread and wear good, they drive nice on the highway, but suck on gravel roads. I won't buy them again. I always put mud/snow tires all the way around on my 4x4's and my 2-wheel drives. putting them on the front on 2-wheel drives work great, you can accually turn a corner without sliding. I do buy aggressive tires, since I can't walk very far anymore. plus, they really helped me get out of the way of non experienced winter drivers quicker! don't let the tire sales people trick you into the "all season radial" tires...they are NOT snow tires! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic