This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lawn irrigation update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lawn irrigation update
    Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 5:39pm
Now that the weather has cooled a bit, I’ve gotten back at the process of revitalization of our long dormant lawn sprinkler system. Discovered another zone, but still have not located the water source. Still thinking in the back of my mind there was a ‘water well’ that I so far can’t locate on the property.
Did discover a 1 1/2 inch line that ‘T’s off at the property line, and goes under my neighbor’s driveway, at least 25’. Don’t know how far exactly as that’s all the longer my tape measure is(I capped the pipe at the property line, and ran my tape measure in the pipe before capping it).
Did discover another 1 1/2” pipe that runs along the property line, heading downhill towards the ‘draw’.
Thank goodness all the piping so far as been less that 12” deep. lol.
The mystery continues.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 8:55am
One possible solution..

Assuming it's all plastic pipe, buy a 'fox and hounds' wire locator set and a 100' fish tape.
Snake the fishtape into the pipe, connect 'fox', turn it on. Now use the 'hound' to find the  pipe. Mark the pipes location and take several pictures ,different angles and 'fixed markers'.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 10:10am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

One possible solution..

Assuming it's all plastic pipe, buy a 'fox and hounds' wire locator set and a 100' fish tape.
Snake the fishtape into the pipe, connect 'fox', turn it on. Now use the 'hound' to find the  pipe. Mark the pipes location and take several pictures ,different angles and 'fixed markers'.

Been considering something like that, for the section that goes onto the neighbors property. Supposedly decades ago, that city plot was originally part of the homestead we now own. I don’t know if that pipe goes off straight, or has gently curve to it, the tape measure pushed in easily so didn’t catch on any seams or rough joints.
The pipe that runs down hill along the property line does have at least one zone that ‘T’s off at 90 deg., following along the property line, it is capped where a neighbor decades ago planted a line of trees right on the property line.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 1:53pm
How much time do you have, and how much do you want to find answers??? Two thoughts. One is visit the courthouse and look up the property records and see how big original parcel was and when things were subdivided. Then if any remains of a well nearby that was on part of property before the split, that is probably the source of the water for your irrigation system. Are any permits needed to drill wells in your area? If so that might help as well. 

The other is if you have any believe in water witching, play with some witching rods and see if you can follow the pipes at all. I know the witching is not a for sure thing, but has save me a lot of digging sometimes. My FIL want me to help find a PVC pipe at his place. It was a low place and water in all the trenches he had dug looking already. So it was no help at all. And if not water in the pipe it would not work ether. I also know it just does not work for some people. No clue what forces are involved, but had the bark peel off a green willow stick. Had the site drilled to 400 feet and had less than a GPM well. I did not call that success.

Of course iron pipe you could get a metal detector and you could follow it everywhere.

Edited by Ray54 - 12 Sep 2023 at 1:56pm
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 2:28pm
I did stop at city hall, and ask if they had any records of private water wells within city limits, they answered ‘no’. Don’t know if they were truthful, or just too lazy to find out. I have put in a request from the city to lookup all permits pulled for this property from 1923 to current day. We’ll see how long that takes. I know some municipalities require a blueprint of lawn irrigation systems within their borders, evidently this city does not.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 12 Sep 2023 at 2:33pm
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 2:28pm
So far, everything is pvc, with the exception of the manual zone valves, and sprinkler heads.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 12 Sep 2023 at 2:30pm
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 3:13pm
It was before 1979 so a long time ago, but had a college class in realest and had to dug around in the recorders office.  The deed in the county recorders office should show the size of parcels and owners have subdivision maps and other documents giving more history than a city would keep. All is public records and open to anyone. Still if the recorders office is not helpful..........................and as public servants we know they can be the opposite of helpful.

Wink But the use of PVC pipe says it had to of been done no earlier than 1960 ish. Well I looked and found out that might not be true. As PVC was invented/discover as early as 1834. Germain's get credit for the first pipe in the 1930's. Was being produced in the USA in the 1950's. Anyway I remember my uncle telling of a new plastic pipe in about 1960. Much better than the older flexible stuff the gophers would crew holes in.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 5:05pm
re: city hall records..
hahaha.. Hamilton LOST all of Flamborough's records ,after they annexed us, in a friggin flood.....NOW it's up to the home buyer to find information..... idiots..... they've made millions cause homeowners can't find 'details' like property surveys, so new ones are done, 10s of $1,000s now.

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 5:28pm
Stopped by the city library today, and found out this parcel of land was originally platted from ranch land, so was not in the city at the time. Will head up to the county clerks office tomorrow morning with the parcel # and hopefully get some information. Talked with an old feller at the library who has lived here most of his life, says years ago, everybody had a ‘water well’ with a lawn sprinkler system here in town.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2023 at 8:29am
WATER WITCHING
 I take 2 pieces of stiff wire, and bend them into L shape and hold 1 in each hand with the short end vertical and long end sticking straight out in front of me. Then walk slowly over the area, the wires will cross where ever something is buried, and then straighten back after you cross spot, or stay crossed if it's a trench and you fallow it.   

917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 1:24pm
Well everybody, had a chance to get at this project a few days ago. Pressurized the zone that borders the neighbors, and sure enough water came percolating up in my neighbor’s yard about 40 ft from the boundary. As this zone has heads in my yard, short of digging up those and capping them(temporarily) the water pressure was not great, but enough to see a 3” high water ‘guyser’. Not sure if it’s a broke off sprinkler head, or broken pipe? Have no idea on the total size or configuration on this zone. Will need permission to go on neighbor’s property to further diagnose. Not confident I will get it.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 25 Jan 2024 at 1:25pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 1:30pm
If you're supplying the water, dig up your last head inline with the neigbour's geyser.
Cap it off,turn water back on, see what happens....

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

If you're supplying the water, dig up your last head inline with the neigbour's geyser.
Cap it off,turn water back on, see what happens....

Unfortunately, its not ‘in line’, this is a 1.5” pvc that originates from a ‘4 way’, don’t know if this ‘old faithful’ is at the end of a line, or a ‘T’, or just one of many. I would imagine with it being on a 1.5” line, there would be more than one.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 3:59pm
yeesh 1.5" line can feed 9 x .5" lines.....

silly idea... pop the sprinkler head off, fish #12 conduit wire in until  it stops. Connect a 'transmitter' to the wire, and ground of course. Use 'receiver' to track the signal.

friend has a similar problem, trying to 'remote fix' his as well.... NO map of the sprinkler system.....

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 7:02pm
Gonna have to buy the neighbor on the other side of my immediate neighbor a six pack, and try and get his pseudo permission to go onto this parcel. He is the brother in law to one of the son’s of the elderly couple that own the property. He’s a thirsty bugger, he and his wife love their Bud Light.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 7:28pm
Wear a dress, when you bring the bud light over...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Wear a dress, when you bring the bud light over...Wink

will have to venture to one of the ‘beer barns’ out of town, and pay cash so there’s no tracking my name!!

Edited by Lars(wi) - 25 Jan 2024 at 8:18pm
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 9:42am
Have you ever seen someone use the witch limbs to find water or underground pipes? If you or someone you know does this you should be able to find each line and where it runs.

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 11:07am
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

Have you ever seen someone use the witch limbs to find water or underground pipes? If you or someone you know does this you should be able to find each line and where it runs.

I have not, yet. The biggest obstacle is the zone(s) that border my next door neighbor also feed an unknown number of sprinkler heads on that parcel. Due to the neighbor property originally part of the parcel we now own. Sometime in the 80’s the parcel we now own was subdivided. All the parties involved then, are either in nursing home, or passed away. I have the upmost respect of other peoples property, thus I will not tread onto their land without family permission, getting that permission has been a slow process.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 26 Jan 2024 at 1:07pm
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 3:10pm
I once had a locate called in, city utility bozo showed up with two bread rods and proceeded to mark a sewer path that was 30 feet to the south. He got pissed when i sent him back to get the as builts and a measuring tape.. called me lots of profane things, came back, measured and marked them properly.

Two months later, a guy following his marks hit a combined utility, killing one man, injuring another.

Two bent brass rods put him in prison.

Fishtape and proper locator, or call in a professional locator with a GPR cart to map it.

the other way is to just ask a local geologist to do a hygrology survey and put on a new well. most places in the upper midwest will be at a shallow aquifer within 150ft.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2024 at 11:01am
Success!!, well kinda sorta. Last week back at it. Talked with the Son of the owners(who themselves are in a nursing home), he claims no water well that he ever saw while growing up in that house. He says I am welcome to ‘investigate’ and ‘root around’ on the property.
Discovered what I’m 90% sure is the origin of the water for the system; a 1.5” iron pipe running parallel to my property line about 5-6 ft over on my neighbors parcel. Standing on the property line, to the left(east ) it heads towards the street, to the right(west), continues to the neighbors back yard, where I unearthed a series of valves, backflow preventers, and piping. I can see where it originally supplied the zones that cover what is our property, and the direction of pipes to supply other zones for the neighbor.
Now the question is; what to do?
Have not searched for any valves, or water box near the curb(yet).
Will go to city hall this next week, and find out if they have maps of where the original water mains, and laterals were laid when these lots were developed pre-WWII.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 27 Apr 2024 at 11:33am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic