This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

45 puller wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLee Mn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 45 puller wheels
    Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 8:18pm
would like to put 34 or 38 inch rubber on my 45 puller  was wondering what or how to  mount wheels to 8 bolt pattern, seems like all 34 or 38 wheels are 9 bolt
Cowboy UP
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 8:52pm
I've done it three different ways, all of them utilizing the original 8-bolt hole OEM wheel center. One way is to leave the OEM wheel center bolted to the tractor and roll your 9 bolt dual wheel up against it and bolt them together using the four square punched holes that would hold a donut wheel weight. Uses 3/4" bolts and nuts and maybe some thick flat washers. Second way is to cut out the 9 bolt hole circle and cut out the 8 bolt hole circle and overlap them one inch and weld them together with welds on the inside and outside. This takes some time and finesse to get them centered and to roll true without wobble. This is the lightest weight of the three ways. Third way is using that faithful and strong OEM wheel center and make four "spokes" ( 3/8" thick x 6 inches wide flat steel) to weld to its OD and weld to a 34/38 inch wheel blank.  Always remember not all 9-bolt dual wheels are created equal. Some will position your tires closer or farther away from the tractor, maybe causing fender interference.  Some dual wheels are thicker for use on 100+ HP tractors and some are quite light weight. Going from a 14.9 x 28 to a 15.5 x 38 is usually about a 15% speed increase.

Edited by DrAllis - 16 Aug 2023 at 12:18am
BLee Mn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLee Mn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 9:50pm
currently running 18.4x28s in 3rd gear still have plenty power at end of pull was thinking of going to 18.4x34s
Cowboy UP
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 5:37am
I use a 8 to 9 bolt adapter.
CAP Brothers makes them.
This does add a bit of weight for the adapters, maybe 20 lbs each.

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 10:34am
If you look around there are some 8 bolt centers that fit the 38" rims. Lots of people cut the center bolt circle out of the 8 bolt center and weld it onto a 9 bolt center. There are many different options that could work. 
 If you want a taller tire than an 184X28, why not find a pair of 18.4X30 tires with drop center rims that will fit to the same centers as a 28" flat base rim. 38" & 34" tires take  surprisingly more power to spin than most people realize. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
cms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 11:23am
These will work.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 3:54pm
Weight for each ?? When I had my WD with 8-speed tranny in 3500 lbs I couldn't have used those.
cms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 8:05am
Weight is around 20 each with bolts. Made out of 1” material. Probably could lighten up some. Will have to try that on the next run. Have 1 set ready to go.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2023 at 7:50am
When i built my UC puller,  I had a 1/2 center plate machined to my bolt pattern and welded it into the wheel center after cutting it to fit.  While i was working on these,  i removed the entire center from the rim and spaced it to allow about 1 inch clearence of the rim to the UC final drive.  34" tires are not tall enough to clear the finals and 38" would be way to fast, this put me narrower that factory stance for hauling but still spaced out for pulling.  lighter than adapter but not interchangable now, but i can make 5000 with me on it running max tire size. 16.9x34.  Yes that is a locating dowl pin,  UC used 5 bolts and a blank hole with a dowel.  No threads in #6.  if i can ever get a damn engine built, maybe i will be able to turn them.....

Edited by CAL(KS) - 23 Aug 2023 at 7:58am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic