This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1157 vs T1016 Bulbs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1157 vs T1016 Bulbs
    Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 1:13am
I was troubleshooting my highly modified Harbor Freight magnetic portable trailer light system and thought I needed a 1157 bulb (turns out the problem was a broken wire within the hermetically sealed 4-prong plug which I repaired).

Anyhow, when I opened my toolbox that says "1156 and 1157 Bulbs", I had several unopened boxes and a bunch of loose bulbs; several of the new but unpackaged bulbs have T1016 branded on the shank.

These T1016 look identical to a 1157 and will fit in the 1157 socket.

As my problem turned out not to require a bulb, I didn't test the light with one of these T1016.

I got curious and did a search for the T1016, to see how they compare with 1157 and whether they are compatible and this is where it gets weird --- I mean I have handfuls of these T1016 bulbs, most definitely a swap meet purchase --- the first few pages that came up in my T1016 bulb search are talking about writing Python Code and such and things way over my head and they ARE talking about these T1016 bulbs; they also make much mention of T1012 and T1015.

I never saw any mention of voltage nor Amp draw, nor compatibility with 1157; in fact, vehicle lighting was never mentioned in the several articles I skimmed through.

What have I got and what/where can I use them ?

Are they interchangable with 1157 and what are the tradeoffs by using them as such.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 6:04am
yeesh I can't FIND T1016 lamps.....
must be the 2nd monday this week !
Google found LED / Python hits though...

do the ones you have look like 1157 ? real light bulb with wire or are they LED

what stumps me is WHY Google can't find them.....sigh
time for another coffee....or 2 or 3 or ....

only 2 more...
 drop the T..google 1016...

so they 'should' be the same...
I suspect the 't' is the mfr's addon to the 'generic' 1016...

Edited by jaybmiller - 08 Aug 2023 at 6:29am
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 6:34am
For the most part they are the same. 1016 is an older bulb series where the 1157 largely replaced it being brighter in both the low, and high intensity:

1016: 21/6 candle power in both intensities

1157: 26.9/8.3 candle power in both intensities

Both are from the original "Mazda" numbering system which was standardized upon after WWII as the style originated in Japan.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 6:38am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

drop the T..google 1016...

so they 'should' be the same...

Thanks; I never would have thought to drop the T.

Now, I know they really do exist as 1016 and that gives me something to work with in finding out how different they are.

I also have a bunch of GE 2-pks (blister packs) of 2057 and checking with some bulb expert guy's site revealed that, although they are an exact fit for the 1157, they draw 1/3-less current and are therefore also not hardly so bright.

Now I wish I had bookmarked that site.

Thanks again.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

For the most part they are the same. 1016 is an older bulb series where the 1157 largely replaced it being brighter in both the low, and high intensity:

1016: 21/6 candle power in both intensities

1157: 26.9/8.3 candle power in both intensities

Both are from the original "Mazda" numbering system which was standardized upon after WWII as the style originated in Japan.

THANKS !

You were typing while I was typing.

Now I don't have to re-find the bulb guy's site.

On a side note .... if you guys are not hitting the auto club swap meets, you are missing opportunity for oodles of big-time bargains.

Swap meets have so spoiled me that I hesitate to shop anywhere else.

I have became hard-core about it and take a big customized shopping cart to the indoor meets and a customized rubber-tired wagon to the huge outdoor events and will return to the truck several times to empty my hauling device and go back for more.

I can take a hunnert-dollar-bill and come home with $2,000 worth of goodies.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 2:47am
1034 also interchange on the 1157 range 
Some bulbs were made with a support for filament for heavy duty use . 
On my one bike I had problems with breaking bulbs on taillight so bought bulbs for heavy duty trucks - then also used the truck headlight bulb as they stood up to vibration better 
 The primary filament is used for normal marker-lamp (the rear light that comes on when you turn on your headlights) operation. The 1157 lamp can sustain 2.10 amps at 12.8 volts, and will last an average of 1,200 hours. The 1034 lamp can handle 1.80 amps at this voltage, and will last an average of 200 hours.

Secondary Filament Operation at 14 Volts

The secondary filament is used for turn signal operations. The 1157 lamp can sustain 590 milliamps of electrical current at 14 volts, and lasts an average of 3,000 hours. The 1034 lamp lasts an average of 5,000 hours under these conditions. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 2:50am
https://www.imperialsupplies.com/content/mini-bulb-cross-reference

Chart of bulbs , click on part number after bulb number to get specs of output for any bulb 

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 09 Aug 2023 at 2:53am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 4:20am
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

1034 also interchange on the 1157 range 

Thanks for both these useful posts.

It is funny that even the old time parts counter guys don't know any of this stuff; no matter what bulb number is best for your situation, you will leave there with 1157 "Same thing; no difference"
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 4:49am
While we are talking 1157 bulbs, what does this guy mean about the 3-wires vs 2-wires "1157 bulbs are a lumen or two brighter than 2057 bulbs. 2057 bulbs also have three wires instead of two, and their wattage is one watt shy of 1157 bulbs."

I have studied both closely and I cannot see what he is meaning.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 9:15am
I don't understand the third wire unless he is alluding to the socket being wired to ground vs physically attached to a ground.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 10:33am
Well his 'link' isn't working for me but  both 1157 and 2057 are 3 wire bulbs. He might have confused 1157 with the 1156 which 56 IS a 2 wire bulb.....
For longest life, LEDs are better, though if you have 30-40  1157s why buy them.....

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 10:55am
A few points on LED I do not care for.  Sealed lamp tails or turns, have multiple LEDs, lose one or two lamp life just dropped to days as the remaining LEDs are now over volted due to loss of the other lamps consumption.   For replacement Single Bulbs reflectivity in old housings is iffy at best, and again most of these come LEDs exposed where Lamp seals bad allow moisture and dirt in, vibration of older machines beat these to death.  As to the OTHER concern, have to replace a few dollar flasher with a New and Improved Electronic Flasher which have the lifespan of a housefly and priced stupid.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 11:36am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

As to the OTHER concern, have to replace a few dollar flasher with a New and Improved Electronic Flasher

I cured the flasher problem years ago before LEDs were available.

I have the genuine Peterson non-cancelling signal switch - wired direct instead of through the key-switch; the Peterson is same model number and identical in every way to the Signal Stat of the same vintage.

Replacing the pitiful stock turn signal switch and all it's aggravating shortcomings with this big no-nonsense unit is probably one of my favorite of countless modifications.

I took a - as it turns out - brand new plastic toolbox and made it the "brain center" for my turn signal wiring.

The flasher does not flash the many many bulbs; but, instead, the cold side of the flasher wiring triggers a bank of relays that, in turn, send juice to the bulbs.

I could have gotten away with a single relay; however, I figured several of them working in tandem would serve two purposes = one being dividing the current by however many relays are switching; and, two being the relays can fail one by one until the last one gives it up, at which point I will replace them all.

Flashers live forever when the only draw they have is triggering the relays.

And, by using multiple relays, the "arc" is lessened proportionately, making them live much longer as well.

It has been many years since I wired this up and I haven't had the box open since.

Also within the box is all the spare parts I might need to make a repair beside the road.

Plus, I have the COOL! factor of the very loud and noticeable CLICK ker-Plunk CLICK ker-Plunk of the relays coming from within the toolbox hidden beneath the goose-neck trapdoor.

I often park with the engine running and a signal still ON and passersby will sure take notice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic