This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fast class pulling with AC questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fast class pulling with AC questions
    Posted: 29 Jul 2023 at 2:58pm
Can a wd45 or d17 compete in - 4- 8 mph classes?
How much HP can you get out of a 226? 120?
Anybody built a 262? Cubes-hp?

There is a video on youtube called "HOT ROD ANTIQUE TRACTOR PULLING'
There is a D17 diesel that pulls in a fast class , I think he may have won.
Up against Gs, 560s, Oivers etc.
The video is one of the best I have seen, check it out.
Thanks
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2023 at 7:22pm
I checked it out. I'm pretty sure that is an older D-17 with a 426 Allis diesel engine in it without a turbo. Classes like that are not available everywhere, as many more organized pulling clubs do not allow an engine transplant into a chassis that didn't originally come in that chassis. I have a D-17 that I compete in 4 and 5 MPH classes (at 4250 to 5500 lbs) and do quite well. The engine is bored and stroked to almost (not quite) double the cubic inches. A WD or WD45 with the same build engine could also compete in 4 to 5 MPH classes at 3500 lbs and up. Before you start building a tractor, you may want to familiarize yourself with what class/weight type that is available to you, so you're not traveling 100 or more miles to every event. By reading your post, it sounds like you are not currently participating in Antique pulling of any kind. It ain't as easy as it appears on U-tube. I can build you what you want, all the way turn key or whatever partial build you want. I suppose I could even sell you my D-17. Call me sometime after 5 pm. 319-360-4788.

Edited by DrAllis - 29 Jul 2023 at 7:25pm
JamesP View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2023 at 8:45pm
Thanks for your reply Dr.
I kinda figured 4-5 was probably the limit.
I like seeing the big cube machines run in the 8-12 mph classes but not in the  3-4.
I wish an AC could run in those classes.
I have been in a tractor club for a long time and I do occasional pull my 45 in stock class.
I also use to work for one of the 3 top ntpa builders in the country so I know how A-C 
is fairly limited there also because of CI available in the 426. But a 540 build runs great in the light pro class!
The clubs around me are either 3 or 4 mph. The problem is the rules are set up for
certain tractors. My guess is the ones who write the rules are also the top competitors in
the club.
 For example, olivers can run 310s, MM can run 800 top ends, IH run RDs.

So I ask if I can put a 262 in my 45 or another ac engine, OOh no you cant run a 6 
if it had a 4. I told the guy the diesel a 6 cylinder, no go. The other pullers wouldnt like that. Oookay that tells me all I need to know.
 So you know what they do with 800-900 CI, road gear at idle and they go out the end.
Thats why I havent bothered to try competing in Div 2. My 45 does pretty good in stock.

I am finishing up my 35 UC, I put 11.2-38s on it and pulled them in tight to narrow it for transport. I have engine ready just waiting on custom pistons to come in, bumped to 7-1 compression should make 60 plus hp---I hope. 

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2023 at 7:32am
7 to 1 compression ratio ?? Why not more?? 8.5 to 1 ratio works well on 87 octane gas and is what many of the last gasoline tractor engines were in the 1970's.  12 to 1 works very well on 110 octane.
JamesP View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2023 at 8:57am
I figured since I was rebuilding- restoring it I would bump it up from4.5 so it would
have enough power to compensate for the tire size difference. I will pull it in the 
stock show class, no points or money just fun pull, use it in parades and tractor drives.
 I wanted to make sure it had enough hp. to spin out, new tires are 10 inches taller than stock. It also has an armstrong starter on it, LOL 
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2023 at 8:10am
full throttle and im blowing the 3 mph div 2 horn with my 37 UC on 16.9x34 in first.  you will have to pull back a bit more with 38's.  I would say im a little more than 3/4 throttle to be under,  then bump up when it starts luggin and spinning.  16.9x34 is biggest tire I can run starting at 5000 lbs and i ALWAYS power out with oem Gas piston engine.  Some day i would love to put my build together......  Never had a chance to run 28's,  the tires were junk when i got it so went straight to puller tires

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2023 at 11:03am
A lot depends on the track you're pulling on. We have a track across the border in Quebec that is pure clay. It has great traction and takes a lot of power. We also pulled on some stone dust tracks that take very little power.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic