This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need a fuel line for an 11000 engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a fuel line for an 11000 engine
    Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 9:25pm
I have a fuel line rubbed through on my 11B engine. This is cylinder #1 and I have a Roosa-Master injection pump. It appears the rubber isolator in one of the clamps that affix this line to the cylinder head has rubbed through allowing metal to metal contact. I noticed hot, and unburned fuel smell and slight engine misfire while operating the tractor ultimately finding fuel dripping down the front of the engine timing cover. Going to need a replacement or have another built up.

Let me know if anyone has one.

Thanks,
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 10:12pm
It's been a few years, but I've brazed lines like that before. Clean really good when done.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

It's been a few years, but I've brazed lines like that before. Clean really good when done.

Thanks, I've brazed them also but don't know the extent of damage yet as cannot get into the engine compartment enough to see straight on. Going to remove the hood with a helper to further evaluate the compromise.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 4:45am
Got a call from my uncle last evening and there is a replacement injector line from one of the donor tractors I have access to available. This engine is blown and the injection pump is gone, (Roosa-Master) along with the fuel injectors, but the lines were capped and left on the engine. I'll be about 40 miles from there today picking up some rebuilt hydraulic cylinders and time permitting, may swing by and grab the lines complete.  
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 7:30am
Turns out to not be an injector line but rather the engine is once again "making oil" and this dripping fuel is slinging off the crank dampener being pushed through the front oil seal. I pulled the dipstick and it's overfull and very clear smelling of fuel oil. No damage but probably the cup seals on the Roosa-Master pump are gone again.

Prior to my purchase this was a problem and the former owner had the pump rebuilt and installed it with the correct tool to compress the seals. However, he did not grease the bore of the brass sleeve, or seals with anything but fuel oil. I'm assuming this may have rolled a seal as the pump was pushed onto the driveshaft. He also told me they had to do a lot of "wrangling" to get the driveshaft to engage and fall into the drive slot of the rotor in the pump. They probably didn't put the engine on TDC prior to pulling the pump but I don't know this for certain. This all took place prior to my ownership so I'm third party but no experience, nor guidance was a player here. It is clear however where the fuel oil originates so need to replace the front timing cover oil seal and cup seals at a minimum in the pump. My borescope viewer clearly shows this but doesn't take photos so I can't relay what I've seen. I'll get the pump removed this next few days as have a spare set of seals and the seal tools as they came with the tractor purchase.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2023 at 10:14pm
Forgot to update this. The former owner paid for the pump to be rebuilt but it wasn't rebuilt; only recalibrated but he was charged for a full rebuild. A former employee of the fuel shop I use did the work and has been long since terminated. I've known the owner a long time and have had him rebuild several pumps for me. When I carted this one in asking him to look it over as there is scarring in the brass pilot tube and mentioned it was rebuilt here, the serial number revealed the truth what went on through notes. Why he was charged for a full rebuild I don't know.

Long story short is the pump is rebuilt correctly now and awaits my pickup without charge including new seals and Stanadyne assembly lube.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 4:15am
Theres always snakes in the grass!
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 7:15am
You are right there. Don't know for certain but I think the owner paid a commission on work throughput of the shop when he had several employees. Could have been a contributor. I've known him over 30 years and he is not a dishonest man in my belief. 

The former owner told me the pump fueling was increased, (turned up) when it was rebuilt to about 160hp from the original 140hp delivery rating. That could have been true as the engine would bellow black smoke under a good push. It is now set back to original spec's with upgraded parts where some of the originals were worn from age.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic