This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zero turn mower with suspension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zero turn mower with suspension
    Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 6:46pm
I am thinking of buying a zero-turn mower and I have decided I want one with suspension. I mow somewhere between 4 and 5 acres and some of it (that doesn't belong to me) is pretty rough. 

When I was working, I bought a couple Ferris mowers. The guys really liked them. They are probably on the top of my list. I like the way the John Deere cuts, but a couple friends have them and they seem to have a lot of problems (mower spindles and general reliability).

In 2011, I bought a Massey Ferguson GC2400 (tractor and loader for $9999) and added a 60" Massey Ferguson deck. I have 12 full seasons of mowing, only replacing blades every couple years (their blades are very heavy duty), but it takes me almost all day to do my mowing.

Does anyone have any experience with any other brands with suspension? I am kind of interested in a Toro with MyRide._
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 7:09pm
Implement dealer I help out has Grasshopper, Gravely, and Simplicity. The "Cobalt" by Simplicity is a very good riding mower and comfortable to operate for several hours. The Ferris company and Simplicity are both owned by Briggs and Stratton and in many ways are almost apples to apples comparisons. Most any of them travel to fast to leave a good cut behind, so need to be operated slower than maximum. I have a Woods 25hp diesel zero turn and I'll not go back to a tractor except on the ditches. The zero turns are not that good unless flat ground, (my opinion) because of the tires used. You can install good bar type tires, but they are hard on grass if appearance is your thing.

If I were purchasing new it would be a Grasshopper whether front mount, or under mount. They have got their mowers down to a science and I set up, deliver, and service/repair all with them having the least problems of any if maintained well. Most every moving part on a Grasshopper still takes grease too.

I'm not bucking for anyone; just stating what I see.   

If you do a lot of trimming around, or under trees, the deck out front is best for this. Open ground the deck under is best. They are all expensive no matter how it's looked at.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 7:19pm
Have a 5' finish deck pull behind PTO mower, floats off three point on our 20hp little tractor mower.  It also has a Mid Deck so compliments each other.  Seriously considering a second tractor just for the finish mower and leave the other as a midmount.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 8:01pm
Check out Wright manufacturing,  They are commercial, and make a lot of standers, but also have a line of riding ZTR's.  And yeah pricey but about like ferris, but they are pretty bullet-proof.  I just bought a wright stander B in 36" as a trim mower and like it more every time I use it. Generally there have been 2 ways to achieve a suspension, one is springs like Ferris pioneered, another is large balloon tires, like Dixie Chopper used.  Wright has made a third,  a suspended seat platform and a good suspension seat...

Edited by DiyDave - 30 Apr 2023 at 8:42pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 8:40pm
I know a couple people that love their Grasshoppers
Stepson has a Husqvarna with suspension seat. Very pleased with it

Edited by plummerscarin - 30 Apr 2023 at 8:42pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 9:47pm
son has a Bad Boy for 6-7 years. Must be good because he ( or me) never works on it ... and he could tear up a anvil without trying.. Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 5:39am
Buy whatever the 'other homeowner' can afford and use !..mowing 4-5 acres is NOT my idea of HOURS of 'fun' !
I turned the 1/2ac I had  into a very profitable veggie garden for 20 years.

Neighbour does his 2 acres in 22 minutes. Some fast red thing,might be ExMark ? NOT a Ferris,previous guy had that.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 5:56am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Buy whatever the 'other homeowner' can afford and use !..mowing 4-5 acres is NOT my idea of HOURS of 'fun' !

Actually, I enjoy mowing lawn!

Two of the lawns that I mow are vacant lots. One is diagonally across the street from my house and the other is between my house and the warehouse I bought several years ago, where I store most of my tractors. 

I live in a small hamlet in a town that has no ordinance about lawn mowing.

After the two lots being not mowed, growing up to weeds and looking like crap for many years, I contacted both owners and asked if I could keep them mowed, at no cost to them. I have been mowing them since then. It makes the whole neighborhood look much better and I don't worry about a (dead) grass fire around my warehouse.

Edit: 
Although I don't get paid for mowing them, one year, two brand new 5 gallon diesel jugs showed up in front of my garage, full of diesel fuel.
Last year, a box of frozen bacon was delivered to our house.
It seems like every year, something miraculously appears at our house.
The guy that does this owns one of the lots.
I haven't seen or heard from the other owner since I talked to him about mowing, several years ago.

Edited by WF owner - 01 May 2023 at 6:05am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 6:04am
wow you ENJOY cutting grass..
NICE that you keep the neighbour 'trimmed' !!

Have a neighbour from Hell (she's Satan in a dress ) , NEVER cuts her acre, city NEVER fines her or cuts it, even though there's a law against 'tall grass'  ( 8" )

curious if your feet get sore from time spent cutting ? Hard pedals, vibrations and such.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 6:22am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

wow you ENJOY cutting grass..
NICE that you keep the neighbour 'trimmed' !!

Have a neighbour from Hell (she's Satan in a dress ) , NEVER cuts her acre, city NEVER fines her or cuts it, even though there's a law against 'tall grass'  ( 8" )

curious if your feet get sore from time spent cutting ? Hard pedals, vibrations and such.

Actually, the neighbor that owns one lot (away from his house) is a great neighbor; the kind of neighbor everyone wishes they have. The other lot is owned by the son of the people that used to live there. The house has been gone for over 20 years and it is just a vacant lot (about an acre).

The lady (and I use the term very loosely) that used to own the rental property next door was my version of "the neighbor from Hell". In 2017, I was able to buy the property (I gave way too much money for it!) and had it torn down and had the debris sent to our local landfill. I have the most expensive lawn in town, but it's mine and I have never regretted it.

I make a point of getting off after about every hour of mowing (often for a "pit stop"). No problems with soreness, other than the usual old age problems associated with "the golden years".
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 8:49am
Nieghbor has a bad boy daddy cat. 40 hp turbo catapiller diesel air ride I've used it to mow his lawn when he was sick fast powerful and rides great. I would buy one they cost as much as a new car but it sure works great. , it also does a very nice job, even mowing the cat tails that come up after it floods.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 01 May 2023 at 8:51am
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 11:38am
Had a smaller Bobcat 18hp 54in cut, got a 23hp 60in cut now, the new mower is heavier and has a better seat then the old one, therefore rides better. I would think anything with some front suspension on those caster wheels would be better yet. SIL has a Ferris and he brought it out to try when mower was down, and it was a pretty nice ride.

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 8:39pm
We have a 2001 mid mount 52" Grasshopper that does a good job of mowing. It is now a backup mower to a 2007 Ferris 2000 with a 61" deck. Does a nice job and is faster than the Grasshopper. Love the suspension. Neither  has need any work other then routine service. Ferris has about 1000 hrs now.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 9:07pm
Has anyone seen the new zero turn mowers from Stihl? The commercial one has 4 wheel suspension with A arm suspension up front.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 9:11pm
[QUOTE=truckerfarmer]Has anyone seen the new zero turn mowers from Stihl? The commercial one has 4 wheel suspension with A arm suspension up front.[/QUOTE

Yes. Just transferred one from dealerships last Thursday. Ferris built but Stihl colors. There are little differences and it has a nice exhaust tone but runs very similar to most any of the better quality zero turns.

Edited by Codger - 01 May 2023 at 9:11pm
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 10:07pm
One thing I noticed now that hearing is shot, our Bobcat with 18hp brigs was loud, nephews' Bad Boy was loud when we stopped there last fall. Our Bobcat with the 23hp Kawasaki is quieter.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 6:05pm
Check out Walker brand mowers. They are heavy duty mowers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic