This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Growing out of expensive habits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Growing out of expensive habits
    Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 6:20am
Been toying with machinery reduction as had second cataract erupt. Even with cheaters getting tougher to read mic’s and indications, my tolerance capabilities slipping. Hands shoulders knees and back defined enemies any more.   So lathe and mill have been sold. Kept my wood work tooling for now so can still make things and enjoy carpentry. Enjoyment had pretty well left for machinist work.

Still have welders personal mechanic tools and a smaller bench mount drill press. Those will be only a matter of time on keeping. Figured better to ship the bigger stuff now while I can control the sale and load outs, basically not leaving for the wife to deal with should anything happen and she stuck with that. I am almost six years older than she.
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 7:06am
 Yeah, Dave, I hear you and truth be known, it IS better to get this done NOW and be able to control the actual pricing of the stuff you own.  None of my Sons would have any idea what the "saleable"value of most of the tools and car parts I have "saved" for years. 
 I recently made a list of all things with pricing and was quite surprised at how many tools and car parts I have accumulated throughout the years that I'll never use,,so best to sell Now and enjoy the money,,,and let someone else rat hole em,,,,,Wink Things like an original 2X4 aluminum intake manifold for a 1957 Corvette in flawless condition,,,saw one sold at a car show last year for $450 with two thread inserts,,,,,
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 6:02pm
I also have accumulated more projects than time/money/and ambition allow,, so, I'm planning on thinning the herd quite a bit in the future..
lots of the equipment that I actually farmed with, will go first, as farm is getting planted back to grass, may take awhile,, really don't want any red flags to the tax man,, and gonna try and get most smaller stuff sold for Ben Franklins...
thing is,, now looks like a good time to sell,,, lotsa that older stuff is holding or appreciated in value
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 6:08pm
During all the loading out and running to/from the barn for the Allis, phone took a message call, last employer wanting me to call soon as practical.  Hate dealing across phones.
This morning dropped our Odie off at vet for annual check out, get his quarterly meds down his throat then a bath and summer shave back.  Came back to town, dropped off some stuff at the bank, post office then off to the Employer.  He did accept kind of last minute, but needs the help and would I be willing to come back on.  Did not have to think too long, said yes, get out of all the Wifey Lists of what can I find for him this week.  Need a time out from the Time out!

May 1 resume driving, uncertain if in a Dump Truck or Tractor and Shorter Dump Trailer.  Can run 25 ton on trailer rigs.  Done both can manage either, know the routes.

His comment is NOBODY applying still.  Those that have been in were referred, hired three fired two.  Knows I work Hard, Prompt and effective, was a good hand last go round and really does want me back.  Nice but not, to be needed.

Edited by DMiller - 18 Apr 2023 at 6:09pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 12:35am
Keep thinking I should downsize some also but then STUFF one has collected over the years but then it seems something comes up 
 Like last year I bought 2 more cycles - only thing I can say is they are electric start units so I don't have kick start them Moto Guzzi machines . Then everyone should have 15 or so motorcycles ?
 Youngest son just moved out of my shop down to his new location in West Concord MN for his skid loader attachment business so kind of empty space now out there . 
 Need to do some rearranging and now i kind of wonder if i need 2 lathes , vertical mill , 3 welders , 100 ton hydraulic press , 7 tool chests , large Rockwell band saw , 5 floor jacks and other such . 
 But then 3 dump trucks , 2 crawlers , road grader , backhoe , skid loader , 460 IH utility tractor , couple pickups and other such accumulations also seem to be past treasures .  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 11:17am
You guys thinking about downsizing, give it a lot of thought. I sold machinery the past few years and am now buying a few pieces back.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 12:30pm
Worried of that initially, then considered how little had been using some stuff.  Not a issue here.

Wife was talking, OPENLY about Maybe going to live in TX in two or so years, buy a small piece of ground not too far out of DFW, nephew and his brood could come out for playtime, keep RV there until get too old even for that, build a 1200sf on a slab with a shelter to store RV and truck under until those go away, turn into a workshop for retired hobbies.  Better weather than here, Cold and some snow but NOTHING as here, gentle rolling more or less Flat ground.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic