This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers 5020 operation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iorior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers 5020 operation
    Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 4:53pm
Just got a 1980 model 5020 4WD. Perfect mechanically and needed a few days sanding and paint. I don't fully understand the lettering by shift levers/knob. The shift pattern is basic but can't determine if its a 5 or an S in the lower left. There's a knob that wont budge under the seat that has letters "FS L". Also a lever to the left of the knob with letters "M l and H". The PTO and implement levers are fully understandable. I attached a couple of pics and would appreciate any help. 

Edited by iorior - 22 Mar 2023 at 6:38pm
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 5:52pm
some have the Creeper... some do not...

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 5:54pm
is the "S" a neutral start position ?  Where is the shift lever when you start it ?
iorior View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iorior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 6:13pm
Shift pattern looks like this:   R  1  3
                                             S  2  4.

I wish there was a way to attach a picture.
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 6:19pm
S is the start position. My guess is the safety switch was bypassed. The m l h is low medium and high range box, bit round knob in that picture.  Down for medium and up for high.  Knob under seat is suspension firmness for the seat. Turn to adjust.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 6:30pm
I was thinking the F,S L knob should be for 3pt arms speed. Fast, Slow, Lock?

My old Ferguson TO-20 had an S position on the gear shift. It activated
the starter.
iorior View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iorior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 6:31pm
Also to answer your question, the gearshift is dead center between 1 and 2 when I start...that's neutral
iorior View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iorior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 6:32pm
This starter is key activated.

iorior View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iorior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 6:34pm
Thanks...that knob was confusing as it appears to go into the gearbox. Do any of these levers engage/disengage 4WD?
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:43pm
Yes I think you are right on 3pt speed. My mistake
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:46pm
Lever right under seat is 4wd. It's the one that hits the seat pan when up. Up is 2wd down is 4wd
iorior View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iorior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:37am
Thanks. That's the lever which seems to correspond to the embossed letters "F" and "S" which probably mean fast (2WD) and slow (4WD) with a letter "L" below which I don't understand. Or maybe those letters refer to the seat firmness knob and indicate "firm, soft and something else?  At least I now know up is 2WD and down is 4WD...it comes close but doesn't hit my seat pan when up. Thanks again
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 6:26am
I believe the knob is turned to adjust the speed the three point arms lower.  Turn towards F for faster, S for slower, turned fully clockwise the valve is closed and the arms will not lower (L).

I suggest you invest in an Operator's Manual, sooner rather than later.

Edited by Jim.ME - 23 Mar 2023 at 6:57am
iorior View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iorior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 8:11am
Thanks Jim...Unfortunately, the knob wont budge and since I'm happy with lift speed I'm not going to force it (parts are hard to come by for this tractor). I'm thinking now that the lever to the left of the knob is to switch between 2WDand 4WD...your thoughts? Just realized someone answered that question and it is for drive wheels. Also, am looking for a good owners manual...some on ebay seem to be scam-like. Thanks again for your response.

Edited by iorior - 23 Mar 2023 at 8:14am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 9:46am
iorior View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iorior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 9:48am
Just ordered the first one listed, thanks
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:13am
You have the 12-speed transmission. Early tractors had only 8; with a fairly large jump between high and low ranges. I have a 5030 with the 8-speed and I wish I had the later one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic