This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MFWA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MFWA
    Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:53pm
not being up on the MFWA tractors, how much more does the MFWA make the tractor pull more than the ones without it? like do they act like they pull more than the HP they are rated at? kinda hard to explain what i'm asking
Sponsored Links

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 7:02pm
I always felt that the front wheel assist never allowed you to pull a bigger load, but rather to pull the same load better. When pulling a field, cultivator or disc, it always felt like you were trying to climb out of a hole in 2WD. In 4WD, the tractor leveled out and pulled better. Clear as mud right?
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 7:56pm
In general, 20-30 percent more in tough conditions.

Like: mud, hills, wet grass or dry clods that are rough as marbles, etc. and don't forget Snow!

We sold all of our snow chains thanks to mfwd.
405, 7000, 7050, 8050, 8070, L3, 2300 & 2600 disk
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:46pm
Only experience...used a neighbors Deutz Allis 150hp FWA pulling his 4 shank Landoll Weather Proofer. He told me to shut off FWA on ends to turn shorter. Almost done when next pass the FWA (electric control) wouldn't turn on again. When tool went in ground it stopped me instantly and dug holes with the rears. I had to raise tool a LOT to finish up. Point is...it worked ground deeper with FWA working and didn't pull any harder.
I would suggest pulling equipment sized for the 2wd version and pull it effortlessly with FWD engaged. I had used that Weather Proofer behind my 220 before and it was a load with 20 more hp.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 21 Mar 2023 at 9:53pm
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 8:50am
When I first moved down to the farm I'm on, we pulled a 24 foot concord with a 5288 IH two wheel drive tractor. It had a digital speedometer, so I knew how fast I was supposedly going, not accounting for wheel slippage, but knowing that there was some. When I started pulling it with my 8070 FWA, by the speed chart, I would have been pulling it almost one MPH slower, but yet at the end of the day, acres per hour were the same. So yeah, not a real scientific comparison, but enough to show me that there was considerably more wheel slippage with the 2wd than the front wheel assist.
Darrel
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:25am
It is an amazing difference.  I've gotten to a field, set my rpm, drop tool, and take off forgetting to turn on MFWD.  Tractor bogged down, feels like climbing out of a hole like said, then you go OH!  Flip it on and it purrs like a kitten.  It is awesome for ANY conditions in dirt. 

Cue Paul B. to tell us how wrong we are.  
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:30am
I heard a story a LONG time ago from a John Deere guy that a 4250 MFWD would do the same work as a non MFWD 4450. I have no experience in this arena, your mileage may vary.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 4:01pm
Norm has a bunch of charts in his book A guide to Allis Chalmers Farm Tractors (the small book  not the big one we all talk about).
He compares the traction and wheel slippage of radial tires, 2wd, 2wd w/duals, FWD, and FWD / duals.
The FWD with single wheels had less wheel slippage than a 2wd with duals. Radials made a big difference too.
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 4:07pm
In heavy tillage, ie chisel plowing, it will reduce your wheel slip by half if not more. Dad told me years ago that he demoed an 8030 mfwa. He said it would pull the same field cultivator we were pulling with our 7040 2wd. He said it would pull the cultivator in a turn with it in the ground.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 5:49pm
I can't really think of a situation where a tractor with FWA wouldn't outperform (get more work done) than an identical model of the same HP in FIELD conditions. Soil types and ground cover will make the results vary, but the FWA should always do better. Where an FWA tractor does poorly against an equal HP 2WD is hauling things at road speeds. I'd say a 134 HP 2WD 8030 would do as well or better than a 154 HP 8050 FWA hauling corn to town. Even with the FWA disengaged, you are still turning all those gears in the front axle and at 20 MPH that isn't a free ride. FWA tractor engine life is generally shorter on tillage tractors because the engine has a higher percentage of load because of the increased traction.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 6:52pm
Only people I know of here that still buy 2wd tractors are hay folks. My experience with 2wd vs FWA is in chicken houses with windrowers and decakers. You can pull a decaker with 2wd but it will spin a bit when it gets full. A windrower requires FWA especially in litter that is 6 or 7 inches or deeper. About the time the windrower gets to the dirt floor, the tractor stops.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 11:00pm
thanks ya'll...I think this has helped me decide on dif tractors. now...finding one I can get in and out of easy! whew! 
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 9:43am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

thanks ya'll...I think this has helped me decide on dif tractors. now...finding one I can get in and out of easy! whew! 

So, I am trying to think back here, the 9755 agco that I used to have, should have the same cab, steps and such as what you are looking at, and if I remember correctly, getting in and out of it was not a bad gig. I did love that tractor, and this DT that you are looking to score is only newer and better, so I don't think that you could go wrong with it. I would hope that you don't need parts for it, but in the event that you do, it shouldn't be a problem. Butler equipment (cat dealer) is the agco dealer I go to, and I have never been disappointed with them. Helps that one of the parts men at Butler in DIckinson has become a very good friend of both me and my son, and he goes above and beyond to help us. In fact I like all of the parts people there
Darrel
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:38pm
I've always though the FWA tractors in 2wd are not going to pull as well as a 2wd version of same tractor, kinda like a 4wd pickup, are almost helpless in 2wd. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

I've always though the FWA tractors in 2wd are not going to pull as well as a 2wd version of same tractor, kinda like a 4wd pickup, are almost helpless in 2wd. 
No doubt.  Mechanical drag with no benefit, plus having to push bigger, lugged tires through the dirt.  
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 4:18pm
FWA tractors are typically ballasted differently than a 2wd. So to be fair, if a FWA tractor’s front axle is turned off, then yes it’s somewhat less ballasted rear axle(as compared to 2wd ballast only) may spin-out while pulling same previous tillage load AND WHILE ALSO pushing its unproductive heavier ballasted front axle.

This is a research update copied from Prairie Agricultural Machinery Institute
July, 1996 ISSN 1188-4770, Group (12a) 725

Front to Back Weight Distribution
Weight distribution between the front and back wheels should not be overlooked. Here, your tractor type is the important factor: the total ballasted weight that you determined from horsepower and travel speed should be split 30% front/70% rear for 2WD, 40% front/60% rear for FWA and 55% front/ 45% rear for 4WD. Again, you can check these weights with the cooperation of your friendly neighbourhood elevator agent. The 30% on the front wheels of a 2WD tractor may appear light, but for many tractors, you will have to add front weights to achieve this.

Edited by AC7060IL - 24 Mar 2023 at 10:37am
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

No doubt.  Mechanical drag with no benefit, plus having to push bigger, lugged tires through the dirt.  

I’ve found the opposite in damp ground a mfwd even in 2wd will go places a 2wd will not. The larger rolling radius and larger footprint keeps from cutting in as much.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 10:50am
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

I’ve found the opposite in damp ground a mfwd even in 2wd will go places a 2wd will not. The larger rolling radius and larger footprint keeps from cutting in as much.
I don't think that's really the "opposite" of what we're saying.  IDK, I've never driven 2 of the exact same model tractors 1 2wd, the other not, in the same field on the same day.  So it's just a hunch.  
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 8:09pm
Running a MF 6140 and pulling a 10’ Case offset disk, there is a huge difference between 2WD and FWA. Not only in traction but speed of pulling the disk. No doubt fuel economy is better since the tractor isn’t spinning the rear tires and covering less ground. Engine labors less also and stays at a more constant rpm. If your doing tillage it’s definitely the best option IMO.

Edited by AC720Man - 24 Mar 2023 at 8:11pm
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by farmboy520 farmboy520 wrote:

In heavy tillage, ie chisel plowing, it will reduce your wheel slip by half if not more. Dad told me years ago that he demoed an 8030 mfwa. He said it would pull the same field cultivator we were pulling with our 7040 2wd. He said it would pull the cultivator in a turn with it in the ground.

So, your dad was impressed a 134hp[ FWA pulled the same field cultivator as a 136hp 2wd?  Or am I reading wrong?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 8:53pm
I think the 8030 fwa would pull the same field cultivator deeper in the ground that the 2WD tractor..
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 1:42am
well I didn't get the DT200, went for $55250.00 on the auction. a little to rich for the 76 acres i'll be tiling! thought that was a hefty price for a 20 year old tractor, out selling many green tractors of a newer age. I bid up to $30,000. figgered I could get most of that back in a couple years!  
ryan(IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 5:33am
That’s cheap. Good looking low houred DTs around here are bringing 70-80k.
ryan
1984 8070 FWA,1979 7060,1975 7040,1971 190,1960 D-17D,1957 D-14, 196? D-19G, 1975 5040,1971? 160,1994 R62
Orange Glow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 7:05am
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9KMjXN7uCw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwZCGf7sP_0

These two videos show a lot of the comparisons, along with the difference in acres per hour of radial tires on MFWD, or 2wd.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 8:33am
Originally posted by ryan(IN) ryan(IN) wrote:

That’s cheap. Good looking low houred DTs around here are bringing 70-80k.
Agreed!  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic