This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

timing gear cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wood walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: timing gear cover
    Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 4:46pm
Wow have I started a major job. Need to check the weights on the govenor,  thought It would be fairly easy, but after I got the raidiator out and the fan off, I checked the book.  Only to realize that I now have to take the whole front end out to remove the cover.  And all this on a sun. evening. WOW.  Is this as bad as i think or am I making too much of it?
Sponsored Links

Jeff(WC)(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WC)(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 8:09pm
what model tractor?  i am not that experienced but if it's a wc, wd, or wd45 theres a little cover with 4 little bolts on the front side of that timing cover on the right side....should be able to pop that off and see what you want to see....if it's not one of those models then i don;t know

Edited by Jeff(WC)(MI) - 10 Oct 2010 at 8:10pm
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 10:24pm
WC, WD, WD45, D17 take the distributor or mag drive out the govener weights are on the drive gear.

Start by taking the dist or mag cap off and marking the rotor location.

Remove the three nuts holding it to the block. You can see one under the oil fill cap in the picture, a mag will be the same.

Govenor weights should be pinned to gear if one is missing or damaged you will be able to see. Simply replace the weights and reinstall so the marks you made line up. I always replace both weights.
gcalent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcalent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 8:33am
not sure what you are working on, but can`t think of any of the normal Allis engines you need to pull the front timing cover to get to the gov. weights.

We need more info so someone can help you, tractor type, engine etc.
Pullin With AC
wood walker View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wood walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 6:41pm
Its a 190xt.  I found an acess plate to get to the govenor.  Now I am not sure what is wrong.  The tractor goes to full idle when you give it some throttle.  I was told to check the weights, but im not sure what im looking for.Seems to be kinda loose in there, is that normal. Right now Im just glad I dont have to take the front end out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic