This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air vs Nitrogen In Tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyraddatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air vs Nitrogen In Tires
    Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 6:51am
Good Morning,
I just got back from a week long seminar in Effingham, Illinois. I had the pleasure of being seated with a fleet service manager and we discussed air vs nitrogen in tires. He said that you don't see the pressure change in the tire as you would with air and that extends tire life. He also commented that on my new front tire on the tractor and running gear I should use nitrogen and it would also reduce the cracking on the side wall of the tires over time. Any thoughts on this from the forum?
Danny
Danny Raddatz
Sponsored Links

Chuck(ONT) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck(ONT) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 7:36am
Dry air already contains 78% nitrogen, about 20% oxygen and a few other elements. When you have to add, you then need to find a source for nitrogen or begin to dilute what you already have in there. 
Never take life too seriously.

Nobody gets out alive anyway!

1C 1 WD45 1 AC180
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 7:42am
it will help a fraction of a percent on a race car at 200 MPH. Every little bit helps. ON an automobile or tractor, it has little value.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 9:43am
There was an extended referenced discussion over on New AG Talk three days ago. http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=189759&mid=1386111#M1386111

There are benefits to aircraft and paved track racing that don't affect ordinary cars and trucks. The biggest benefit is to the profit of the tire store selling N for filling.

Gerald J.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 10:11am
I have enough problems keeping (cheap) air in my tires.....seems they are always flat on at least one side!
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
ALinIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 10:35am
Dan - As stated, I agree.  There is no advantage to nitrogen.  It is just a fad and way to get money from the customer.  If the tire stores have a dryer on their compressor, then there is no advantage.  _ AL
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 11:45am
As someone who used to put nitrogen in aircraft tires from time to time, for your car, tractor, and truck, its Bull$#@*. 

The two reasons for it in aircraft is related to water vapor.  Water condensing out of the air and then freezing can cause the tire to become out of balance.  Also many aircraft rims are made of magnesium and corrosion is a big problem with them. 

Tell your tractor shop that when you get mag wheels on your tractor that you will consider the nitrogen. 
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 6:40pm
Wonder what marketing brain child came up with that one. I thought it had run its course by I see its still out there. I know people who bought into it and go back to the tire store for more nitrogen when they service there tires. What a bunch of crap and thats coming from me an A&P who uses it everyday on the job for Aircraft tires. Its only used because its a dry gas and typically transport type aircraft need higher pressure than you can get from an aircompessor so you service from a high pressure bottle. Dry air will give you the same effect.
j.w.freck View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.w.freck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 7:53pm
the nitrogen craze started with a legitament cause,aircraft tires  on the large a/c that on landing all the tires are cold soaked to as much s -20 deg.below from long high altitude flights.on landing and even normal braking,the temp.goes from -20 to as high as 400-600 degrees in a matter of seconds.the coefficent  of expansion of nitrogen is no where near that of air.also fire brick was right,nitrogen (dry) also very much lessens the corrosion factor in the magnaloy  rims.in theory,this a ripoff especially for tractor tires as well as car and truck tires..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic