This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B Clutch Linkage Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44 Allis B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B Clutch Linkage Problems
    Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 10:10pm
Was using the B this afternoon for wood hauling.  Mother-in-law learning to drive.  She likes "Allis"!  Pushed the clutch in before starting engine and the pedal went "over center" past cast peg in side of the torque tube.  There is allot of slop in the long bolt that runs through to the other side of the tractor that the linkage hinges on.  I ordered the books, but have not received them as of yet.  There is ALLOT of play and looseness in the clutch linkage.  Has anyone ever had this problem?  Good thing the engine was not running when the linkage (and pressure plate fork)  went over center.  I reached down and pulled the pedal back over center.  Everything seems fine.  I would like to know how to get rid of all that slop in the linkage and how to adjust the clutch.

Thanks in advance,
David

1945 Allis B (B70687), 1953 Farmall Super M (F12856J), 1970 Farmall 826 Diesel (2510148U015442*) & 1969 Cub Cadet 106
Sponsored Links

GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 5:45pm
You can adjust the "free travel" on the clutch by removing the long rod from the clutch pedal and turning it in (more free travel) or out (less free travel). The clutch engagement length can be adjusted by the screws on the pressure plate; they can be accessed from the inspection plate under the bell housing part of the torque tube (not real handy but doable; need to do one and rotate the flywheel). There is a dimension on how far away the fingers should be from the flywheel; however, do not have it handy. Maybe someone else can help; or PM me and I will locate it for you.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
44 Allis B View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44 Allis B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 6:46pm
Do you happen to know what the pedal free play would be?  I know on my Super M it's 7/8".  If I understand you correctly, that adjustment is done by the long rod that goes into the bell housing.
1945 Allis B (B70687), 1953 Farmall Super M (F12856J), 1970 Farmall 826 Diesel (2510148U015442*) & 1969 Cub Cadet 106
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 8:21pm
Take the pedal off, bore out the hole in the pedal and press in a bronze bushing. Do this before you try to adjust anything. If the pedal is flopping around on the shaft, the shaft may need to be built up also.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic