This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-14 3rd Gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-14 3rd Gear
    Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 7:45pm
roughly speaking, what is the cost of replacing 3rd gear in one that it won't stay in at all?

It is a loader tractor so it has been well used 3rd to reverse.

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Sponsored Links

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 10:19pm
Shift fork is a good contributor to this problem if it is well worn.  I got a new one for my 190 XT from my local AGCO dealer, but NOT cheap!  After that, you would want to look at your input shaft and bearing for wear and mashed up gears.  They are a bit cheaper aftermarket.  I have not had to do any transmission work on a D14 yet though - just the 190 so far.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 8:07am
I'm looking at one at they want a pretty high price for it even though 3rd is out. Trying to figure out my repair costs to add to the purchase price.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 10:02am
I would set aside at least $1000 just for parts if you are doing it yourself.  If someone does the repairs for you, double it.
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 11:34am
Not ever been in an Allis transmission, I have a thought.  The shift forks wear at the contact points of the collar/gears right? 

If they are so expensive, and its a common problem, why doesn't someone rebuild them?  I have repaired shift forks before without issues, Gas weld them back up w/cast iron rod and mill them to dimension, or even cut out the worn section and braze on and new section. 

Do the shift forks work on a separate collar or is the collar integral with the gear? 
Rogers View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 12:39pm
The D-14 and D-15 have the same third gear. The thing is they changed third gear after the transmission was put into production. Because of the change when you change third gear pinion shaft you also have to change reverse gear pinion shaft. Third gear locks into the inside of the reverse gear when running in third.

You can get aftermarket gears. Third gear pinion runs around $225. Reverse pinion gear runs about $200. That is aftermarket. You will also need gaskets, sealant and misc. It will run you $750 to $1000 dollars to fix third gear correctly with aftermarket parts.

I used AGCO parts when I did mine because aftermarket pinion gears weren't available except for 4th gear which I didn't need. If you go with AGCO parts you are looking at around $1200 to $1500 dollars assuming gears are still about the same.

It is a job to change the gears, but worth it. Good Luck.
Think for yourself and be your own expert. Be willing to change your mind; however, willingness to change your mind doesn’t mean that you will. Blindly following any path is the pinnacle of insanity.
bauerd44 View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bauerd44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 1:58pm
I am going to a sale that has a 170 that has a bad 3rd gear.  Is the cost of parts for
repairing a 170 similar to the prices for a D-14?

Thanks... Dale 
ccuthulutt View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccuthulutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 3:13am
Gentlemen,

I have just disassembled a D-15 transmission.  Third gear jumps out, all the shifting collars, and all the gears (reverse idler included) are extremely worn, and one of my pinon teeth is missing a substantial piece of metal.
What kind of used/nos/new parts are out there?

Tad
JH Buck View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JH Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 4:50am
I have replace third gear in a D15 and a D14 and you are looking at least $1,000 +.  
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 7:07am

I have a trans and rear complete in a D-14 that you can drive and do what ever you want to with it ,that way you know it is good.I have hills you can load loader and drive up and down them.We can then unbolt it from tractor and you are on your merry way with complete trans and rear assembly.

I bought a complete running D-14 that had a shuttle in it and everything works good .I am going to put the complete unit torque housing, trans and rear over in my shop D-14.And sell the trans and rear out of it with a DRIVE before you buy.

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 7:16am
Sounds like Fred has a great deal for  someone, I have a neighbor who "fixed'" his with just a couple of pieces but about 3 months later it was jumping out again, he was not happy.
old220 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:25am
I have a good transmission for a 175 also a cmplete tractur, engine has a hole in block. donnie
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:22am
170 tractor uses a completely different tranny so there is no cost comparison.

I just did the 15 I gave to Dad and with the proper bearings, gaskets, some used good gears, a used pinion shaft, shims, and gear bushings I had 1000.00 in it. Really didn't have any shifter problems, just a worn out tranny due to running it low on oil sometime in it's life before I got it.
I have a complete shuttle torque tube with reverser that I'd like to move. I purchased this from Fred with the intention of making my 15 loader tractor a shuttle. I ended up getting a D-15 industrial with shuttle and loader so I left the AG tractor alone. I'll make someone a deal on the shuttle assembly, this will save you the wear and tear on the tranny and clutch with a loader.
JH Buck View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JH Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 4:20pm
Sound like Fred has what you need
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccuthulutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 6:30am
Gentlemen,

I have noticed that my pinon first gear has 51 teeth and all the aftermarket replacements have 50 teeth.  Allowing for my weak grasp of math and my possibly, faulty/ counting, if indeed there are 51 teeth on my pinon first gear why?  Why the 50 tooth replcement?

Tad
Austin(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 8:47am
Check A&I Very affoardable tractor parts.
"Better By Design"
Austin(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 8:51am
"Better By Design"
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 9:07am
Tad, there was a production run change in some of the transmision partssometime during the D-15 tractor production. D-10, 12, 14,and D-15 tractors used a lot of the same gears in the tranny. Late model gears I think are what is availiable aftermarket so if you change the pinion gear you must also change the main shaft gear to match it. The alternative is to rob an old gera out of a parted out CA or other parts tractor.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccuthulutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 2:51pm
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for all your help!

Tad
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccuthulutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 2:43pm
Gentlemen,

Are there any matching ring gear/pinon sets out there for an Allis-Chalmers D-15, Series II, serial number 23148?

Tad
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 2:48pm
Had our D-15 done in '72 by an AC dealer for about $2200.
If we were to do it again, we wouldn't have!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccuthulutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 3:25am
Gentlemen, 

Does anyone out there have a Timken 02421 bearing cup for sale?

Tad
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 8:07am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 8:36am
It only cost me my time to fix mine. When I bought mine Eldon added a transmission that had another part taken from it.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccuthulutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 9:28am
Dear Lonn,

That was a good number right away!  Thanks for the link.  That bearing race, indeed, was the last part I needed to reassemble my transmission.

Sincerely,

Tad
Ray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 7:22pm
I have for a D-15 tractor these gears. 1,2,3,4,R onthe main shaft and 1,2,3,4,R on the pinion shaft. Used original $550.00. 785-353-2392
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 7:44pm
Lonn, That's pricey steel.  $508,000 per ton! 
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic