This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bought a rough disc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bought a rough disc
    Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 6:32pm
I know it s off color but I could not pass up a repairable disc of this size for $700,  It is a MF but I have not gotten the model number off it.  I plan on cannibalizing the wing discs for parts to repair the main gangs and to remove the clod buster the previous owner said wasn't worth it's weight except for ballast.

I know it's rough but what the hell.
Sponsored Links

jminpa View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jminpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 6:41pm
looks like new tires, few disks and a little paint and it will be good as new - John
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 7:43pm
There's some good steel in the clod buster but it works poorly. I had one come on the front of a planter. I'm still using up that steel.

I did the same to a manual fold JD BWA disk. The extensions were really good sources of parts and the center was all my tractor needed anyway. Those manual fold extensions will hurt you if you aren't real careful folding and unfolding.

Two or three bars of spring tooth behind a disk and a field cultivator really work at breaking clods, made my disk make a perfect seed bed in two passes instead of three. I have two bars behind my disk and three on the FC.

Gerald J.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 8:05pm
Thanks guys, I needed the moral positive notes as the little woman was not amused!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 4:44pm
Got a good start on it today, have the wings and the Buster Bar off, the rear gang discs will be next.  I have a local farm supply I can get parts, I will replace all the bearings and put new scalloped discs to the front; a buddy has a good used cylinder with hoses so I don't have to buy that.  I will have enough scrapers for all the main gangs and should have a pretty decent disc when all done.

The local scrap shop has been giving $150 most days and some $200/ton for clean steel, I should have at least that much when done.  The should buy some decent used tires and new tubes so they will be a wash for cost.  At that I will only have $1500 in a relatively 'New' disc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic