This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steel roofs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steel roofs
    Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 11:35pm
Guys I am going to have a new roof put on the old shack next spring. My insurance agent told me to get the steel shingles put on instead of sheet steel. He says if you get any wear on those shingles, you can spray on adhesive and put the crushed colored stone back on the shingles. Has anyone experienced this? As usual thanks much folks.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 6:10am
hmm, so your agent's wife's nephew's son owns the local steel shingle company ???
I bet one reason sheet steel roofs on barns last ,well, dang near forever, is that they QUICKLY get rid of water,ice,snow as they are Smoooooooth NOT ROUGH like gritty asphalt or metal shingles
Go ahead call me crazy..but some of the 'fizzicks' I learned in high school made sense.

My 'Hy-Grade' steel roof was put up in 2014 (?), smooth steel shingles,. Water flows off them very well especially the low pitch (3/12) section that was always a problem with gritty asphalt shingles...

What's on your house, barn ? Do you HAVE to 'match' the look ?
Odds are real good your grandkids will enjoy THEIR steel roof.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 6:37am
We have a steel roof on our house and I love it.
The roof is a snap lock (hidden fasteners). The paint surface has a bit of a texture. [there is no grit, just paint.] This texture keeps the sheen down, unlike smooth paint.  Another advantage of the texture is it is not as slippery thus safer to walk on.  My roofer had never put on a roof with this texture but was thrilled.  He is now recommending this roof to his customers.
Every year, I have to climb onto the roof to swab the chimney flue. The texture helps keep me from slipping.
Cost difference between smooth and textured is negligible.

Edited by Clay - 09 Nov 2022 at 6:39am
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 8:47pm
I remember seeing barns back in Ohio with slate roofs that were put on in the 1800's and still keeping the rain and snow out.  A lot of the old houses have a metal roof put on in the early 20th century that are holding up well.  I imagine they need to be painted every so often. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic