This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD-5 Steering clutches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD-5 Steering clutches
    Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 10:41pm
New member looking for help removing clutch assemblies. I have removed all the flange bolts but can't budge the assemblies up and out as the manual and the posts suggest. I've applies a fair amount of pressure and used a pry bar in an attempt to generate some side play to no avail. Must be overlooking something obvious ? Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 5:40am
The flanges has a small lip on and need to nock on side drum and he should came free
or use a screw driver betwen the flange and drum he should have a back lasch 1/8" each side for pulling out
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 6:47am
Be sure all the bolts are out, as unless you roll the clutch assembly 1/4 turn or so you cant get at all the bolts. Be sure to back off the bolt that holds the brake band up also, under machine.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
R-1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 10:48am
Should have mentioned that I purchased this (box cat) some time ago and since the carcass has sat out in the weather for some few years here as well as at it's previous residence, it's stiffened up a bit. I now have it under cover and started to rebuild it. Knowing that there is a shoulder on the clutch assembly explains why it won't drop out. So far I still can't seem to generate the necessary side play to make it happen.

dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 4:31pm
what has happened is the clutches have frozen in the drum and will not slide in far enough to allow the throw out flanfe to clear. the drum is mounted to the outside flange, the clutch pack to the inside. look to the inside edge of the drum and see if the clutch discs have recessed into the drum. the clutch discs look like a gear with teeth on the outside and then there will be steel discs on the inside with the teeth to the inside. if the clutches are seized to the drum as i suspect, you will need to sacrifice them and cut them out. cut them in pieces. cut a section of the drum that the brake band rides on in about 4-6" pieces and then remove enough around the drum until it will relieve the pressure and let the clutch pack move over. it is a shame to sacrifice parts but sometimes it has to be done to progress further. if you are using new clutch discs, use them from a hd11 as they are ceramic and will avoid the freezing up in the future. good luck.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
R-1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 5:24pm
That's not exactly what I wanted to hear, cutting up the clutch drums. So far I've avoided acquiring a torch. 
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 5:41pm
R-1, my friend, if you don't have a fire wrench you may as well surrender now and call the junk man! LOL seriously, fire wrench is almost a must!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 7:52pm
OMG Lou!!!!

ROFLMAO !!!!

Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

R-1, my friend, if you don't have a fire wrench you may as well surrender now and call the junk man! LOL seriously, fire wrench is almost a must!

Truer words are never spoken.... Can I shamelessly steal your quote????

Glenn

Edited by GlenninPA - 29 Sep 2010 at 7:53pm
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by GlenninPA GlenninPA wrote:

OMG Lou!!!!

ROFLMAO !!!!

Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

Truer words are never spoken.... Can I shamelessly steal your quote????

Glenn
Yes, you may!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 3:59am
a torch, while it is a must for these machines at times, is VERY messy for cutting the drums. i used a gas powered chop saw (k-12) to cut the drums. much less messy and more accurate and no hot sparks getting in your ear. cut the drum about an inch in from the track side parallel with the drum then cut small cross cuts across the drum and remove the pieces. a cut wheel on a grinder works well also. you can try to soak them with some penetrant to get them to free up but the discs will be ruined anyway. you may also try to rebolt the drum to the hub so you do not bend it and take a portapower to the inside of the clutch assembly and try to push ir into the drum. it too will ruin the discs but it could save the drum. keep in mund that it they are that frozen, the inside teeth of the drum will be in rough shape and may need a newer on anyway. shoule you get them out complete and take them apart, put them in a press to hold the spring tension on the clutch pack as not to injure yourself. release the spring and remove the center and then loosen the clutch discs one an a time to remove. side note, the pins that hold the brakes come out through the little holes on the outside of the rearend housing through the plug hoses easily with a slide hammer and a long piece of all thread. the end of the pin is threaded for this operation. were the covers off of the steering clutch housings or did mice get into them? if so, clutches are definately frozen . sorry for the bad news but get used to struggles repairing these machines. great machines if they are run and kept up with but can be time consuming to repair. good luck.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
R-1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 11:54pm
Thanks for the alternative methods of destruction. My neighbor came over yesterday and since it's not his equipment he was less hesitant to be more assertive with the hammer and wedges. Result was that we were able to insert some shims on both sides of the right clutch and this morning with the help of a hydraulic jack,we freed that puppy. I was pretty excited for a while because I figures that would take the pressure off the other clutch and I'd be done without breaking anything. The sun has set and I'm looking a renting a cutting tool for the left clutch. http://picasaweb.google.com/D.E.to.you/20100930
Matt (Jordan,MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt (Jordan,MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 12:04am
I had this problem on a Hd5. I took my trusty railroad bar  that's about 4 ft. long and forced the clutch in by bounceing the bar between the housing and the clutch. It took a while and i was tired in the end but it came out in one peice. I then had to pound the drums off. This machine sat of 15 years with the covers off and plugs in the bottom so they were holding water.
E7018 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E7018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 3:41pm
Don't cut the drums quite yet. I have an HD7 that the clutches were stuck-bad. I filled the housings with oil about half to 2/3 full. Then,  I would heat the top outside of the drum. Turn the warm part down into the oil. I kept doing that til the clutches weren't stuck anymore.
The almost boiling oil sure does dissolve rust. Don't catch the machine or you on fire. 
acisbest View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acisbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 9:04am
Glad you got it out. I know I'm a little late to this party, but wanted to add that on my HD6G I used wedges and a lot of pounding to get my clutch loose. Small wedges, then larger wedges. Eventually I was able to squeeze the clutch together and pull it out. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic