This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers forklift ACC-55

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmesgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers forklift ACC-55
    Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 2:03pm
Hello All...  I just joined the forum as I am the new owner of an OLD Allis Chalmers forklift, Model ACC-55 L PS.  I have been trying to locate Technical Manuals or Maintenance Manuals for this this unit, but I have been unsuccessful.  I also want to determine the year it was created, but there is no date on the data plate (see image below).

I have been scanning the liberatedmanuals.com website for the military technical manuals but I doubt I will find one.  My forklift uses LP Gas and after 24 years of military service in logistics, I can honestly say that I have seen a military forklift that runs on Propane.  The closest manual I can find is TM 10-3930-630-24P which is for an Allis Chalmers ACC-40.  I would appreciate anyone's insights or thoughts about this forklift.  Thank you for your help...!

Leo
Sponsored Links

Lawrence9 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawrence9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 1:33am
Hello, Leo. I recently bought an ACC 55. I reached out to my local forklift service shop and they couldn’t match up my number either. They were only finding AC 50. I’m sure there is a fair bit of cross over with earlier and later models. What are the issues you are having?
When I got mine the breaks weren’t working and the E-break also wouldn’t engage. There’s a leak in the break line somewhere so fluid was about gone. So that should be straight forward. However the e-break connects to the main drive down a few inches off the ground, not going to jack up a forklift in my gravel drive way without a solid plan.
ACC50GUY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACC50GUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 1:48am
Hello Leo, Lawrence.

I just picked up an ACC 50 PS today and have been looking for manuals for it. Do either of you know where I could find a parts or service manual? I will keep an eye out for the ACC 55 manuals for you both in my search. 
Thank you.
Jason

ACC50GUY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACC50GUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 1:57am
Be careful jacking forklifts if you have not done it before, they tip very easily when only one side is jacked up, if you have to jack side by side, do it incrementally. My ACC 50 also has inop brakes, I plan on digging into them tomorrow as I JUST  tonight brought home mine. Hope this helps.

ACC50GUY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACC50GUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 2:03am
If you have a porta power or access to one, these look like they would work great as a forklift jack, I plan on picking one up tomorrow to try it.

rmesgt View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmesgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 10:46pm
I tried an automotive floor jack (3 ton) but it wouldn't lift my ACC-55. I never considered the fact that it would tip over from lifting one side. I will be CERTAIN to avoid doing that! I have yet to find a service manual for my forklift. I was able to remove and replace my master cylinder, but before I install the new one, I want to repair or replace the wheel cylinders. It is hard see, but I think the
brakes are only on the front wheels. I haven't yet figured out how to access them. Thoughts anyone?
ACC50GUY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACC50GUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 12:21am
Where did you source the master cyl at? Its been a couple decades since I tore into a forklift brakes but if I remember correctly I think you access them by taking the drive wheels/tires off and from there you might be able to get to them. I will post when I tear into mine. 

ACC50GUY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACC50GUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 12:23am
And yes, typically forklifts only have brakes on the drive wheels.

ACC50GUY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACC50GUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 12:40am
Well I found manuals for my ACC50 on ebay but the service manual is $279 and the parts manual is $399... insane. :0 Well, the search continues.

rmesgt View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmesgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2023 at 10:16pm
I found the new master cylinder on Amazon.  It is a Dorman M2796.  I found it by googling Master Cylinders and comparing mine to the pictures.  Although I was able to find the master cylinder, I was not yet successful in locating the crush washers and the flow-through bolt that holds the bake line to the master cylinder.  I am not done searching, but so far, I have been unsuccessful.  
rmesgt View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmesgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2023 at 10:19pm
There is no way I can afford either the service manual (at $279.00) or the parts manual (at $399.00).  Maybe some day, I will find these in a digital footprint that I can afford.

ACC50GUY View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACC50GUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 3:47pm
The crush washers and fitting should be able to be purchased at Napa Auto parts, I would go check out your local Napa. Thank you for the part number, I will check it out to see if its the same as mine :)

rmesgt View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmesgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 11:47pm
I bought some 1/2" crush washers at O'Reilly Auto.  They didn't quite fit, but they were oh so close, so with a chain saw file, they now fit the Banjo Bolt.  Hopefully, they will work...
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 6:46am
the EASY way to lift the front end to do brakes....

tilt mast all the way back
slide 6by6 under the mast
tilt mast forward
'magically' the front wheels come off the ground !!

I made a 'sling' (?), same a shingles or brick delivery trucks have on their crane. Hooked onto chain hoist on trolley on Ibeam...again easy AND controlled.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic