This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lake of the Ozarks dam replacement??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake of the Ozarks dam replacement??
    Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 1:14pm
Seen something the other day Ameren has plans to replace the dam at the lake in 15 years- anyone in Mo hear of this ? I guess they still have Allis turbines in there, we were in grade school and toured it , very neat but dang that road over the dam is narrow and has been there a while
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 3:47pm
No plans by Ameren to replace it, just spent a ton of money reinforcing the old dam, set  cable stay anchors across the base, it has shifted downstream a little over the years.

Received a new concrete face over lay on the DS Side after the cable anchors were set.  And where the dam sits is the Only site suitable to set a dam to start with.  Generators have been rewound and new turbines installed, believe they can almost generate 400mw during peaking periods.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 4:09pm
Imagine what you might find on the bottom if they pulled the cork on that thing. 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 5:09pm
locally they destroyed a 100 year old dam ,'unsafe BS !' we lost a LOT of 'interesting' creatures now that it's a stream..... funny they left the ORIGINAL pipes that fed drinking water to Dundas....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 5:36pm
[QUOTE=modirt]Imagine what you might find on the bottom if they pulled the cork on that thing. 

I know one boat in there and where it's at.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 5:44pm
the valley was flooded about 100 years ago... Lots of "stuff" was never moved from the old homesteads prior to the flooding.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 8:50am
Good chance a few Jimmy Hoffa types might be down there too.

"Dang fool should have known better than to try to steal all that log chain and then swim across the lake".
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 10:22am
Learned last night on TV, that the Fraser Valley in BC USED to be underwater. 'They' dammed, diked ,recoursed the river to get farmland wayy back when.. NOW they've had huge floods..doh.. kinda like the Mississippy or lowlands of Holland I'm guessing.
Big issue is no ONE buy in charge, so nothing gets done(like open the flood gates BEFORE the raging wall of water comes down the mountain......
Logging and mining hasn't helped either....

Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by modirt modirt wrote:

Good chance a few Jimmy Hoffa types might be down there too.

"Dang fool should have known better than to try to steal all that log chain and then swim across the lake".

Funny, while I've been setting at home recovering from covid I got started watching a guy on youtube who interviews mobsters.  Anyways one old mobber was talking about a Fox News reporter contacting him that was recently getting info on who killed Jimmy, I think Eric Shaun?  Anyways the old mobster told him he's getting fed lies and said who the two brothers and one other guy that picked up Jimmy the last time he was seen and said it's over.  Don't remember who the mobster was now but he said in the interview he had killed more people than cancer.LOL  Sammy "the Bull" has his own podcast now I guess, sure seems like a nice guy.Wink

Speaking of bodies I had always heard rumors of bodies in the levies in KC, my Great Uncle was city accountant for KC long long ago and he carried a 45 under his coat.  Guess it was dangerous being a number cruncher and till the day he died would always say nobody gets elected in KC. LOL

Edited by Kansas99 - 13 Feb 2022 at 1:14pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 1:29pm
There is a great video on youtube featuring AC equipment including the HD38 building the (I think) Garrison Dam, is that the same dam???

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 1:34pm
No, the Bagnall Dam is for Lake of the Ozarks on the Osage River.  Ameren built & owned it since they were known as Union Electric.  Went up during the Great Depression.
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 1:46pm
A friend of mine grew up in Southern Missouri, he told the story of how, after an earthquake I think, the Mississippi River actually ran backwards for a time, flooding new ground and making a lake. 
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Tad Wicks Tad Wicks wrote:

There is a great video on youtube featuring AC equipment including the HD38 building the (I think) Garrison Dam, is that the same dam???

Here ya go.  Yep it's a good one. Garrison Dam North Dakota

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx8wa7JLHbs
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Tad Wicks Tad Wicks wrote:

A friend of mine grew up in Southern Missouri, he told the story of how, after an earthquake I think, the Mississippi River actually ran backwards for a time, flooding new ground and making a lake. 

1812 New Madrid

Go to the 15 min mark but the whole thing is very good, well if you like history.

"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 2:28pm
Lotta bodies in the Welland Canal up here....

fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

No, the Bagnall Dam is for Lake of the Ozarks on the Osage River.  Ameren built & owned it since they were known as Union Electric.  Went up during the Great Depression.

The dam/lake was controlled by the Corp of Engineers up until say about 20 years ago then Ameren took over.
That's when things changed. Now it is one big homeowners association and things got stupid.
Folks had a house on the lake they bought in 1974. I was 14. I took it over in I think it was 1992 when my dad passed and my mom couldn't deal with it anymore.
I sold it about 7 years ago, that was easy and got what I wanted.
Drunk and arrogant became a prerequisite to have a place. Average ownership was about 5-6 years around me.
I had enough. 

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 5:53pm
Union Electric/AMEREN has ALWAYS Owned the Lake, to Lake level 660 feet, Normal High Pool is 658.6 and Flood Pool is regulated to just under 661, Ameren UE Owns title to all the Land beneath the Water at that level, and Owns the Water up to that level.  COE has Final Say as to Use and development by those along the Shoreline as required under Impounded Waters Agreements from years past.  Ameren is still trying to get Out of Shoreline Management.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 6:19pm
The CORP controls some upstream and down stream structures, but UE was the original owner and still is today... The "dam" was built to be a Generation Station.

Bagnell Dam (informally, the Osage Dam[6]) impounds the Osage River in the U.S. state of Missouri, creating the Lake of the Ozarks. The dam is located in the city of Lakeside in Miller County, near the Camden-Miller County line. The 148-foot (45 m) tall concrete gravity dam was built by the Union Electric Company (now Ameren) to generate hydroelectric power at its Osage Powerplant. It is 2,543 feet (775 m) long, including a 520-foot (160 m) long spillway and a 511-foot (156 m) long power station. The facility with eight generators has a maximum capacity of 215 megawatts. The dam provides power to 42,000 homes.[7]

The dam also creates Bagnell Dam Boulevard, a narrow two-lane highway connecting the nearby Bagnell Dam Strip with Lakeland and US 54. The dam has a sidewalk. The dam is named for the nearby town of Bagnell, Missouri, which was named for William Bagnell, who platted the town in 1883.[8]

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ron Eggen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Eggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 8:24pm
The highway/roadway structure on top of the Dam is what is planned to be replaced. Now they have a tax financing district set-up or soon will to finance the replacement .  The largest container of bodies including cemeteries ifs supposed to be the Great Wall of China .
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 6:12am
Been in planning for quite awhile, seems the big issue is potential damage to transformers on the generator end during disassembly.   Roadway essentially sits atop buttresses on the dam and not actually any structural component of the dam.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic