This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6G Generator-Alternator conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCPatriot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6G Generator-Alternator conversion
    Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 7:05pm
So my generator is shot and past the point of repair . It calls for #1103027 or 1103019 Generator. Someone on Facebook said they are running a single wire 24 alternator. Has anyone done this ?
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 7:25am
on a 6g it is a single belt driven generator so you dont have the complexity of the double bearing sheave that drives a generator on the shaft like an HD16.  assuming the pulley will fit a 24v alternator shaft it would be as simple as setting up the pivot point and adjusting bracket.  going to be a custom install you wont find any bracket kits or anything like that.  Keep in mind that some 24v alternators are pretty large so on the lookout for one similar in size to your genny.  if the pulley doesnt work you may have to have a bushing made or machine one to fit.  I would probably run a bit smaller pulley to speed up the alternator so it will charge but really only load is to recharge batteries so big amps not needed like on a semi truck or new piece of electronic loaded equipment.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
walnut1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walnut1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:01am
I put one on my HD11S, I found a bracket online that only needed minor modification. Been running it for 4 or 5 years now. I found the one wire alternator on eBay for $60 or $70 I think. I had a pulley in the shop to fit the wide belt that was on it. 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:55am
Similar to this on AMAZON...

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
TCPatriot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCPatriot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 6:39pm
Ok thanks for the input!
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:45pm
I've never done this on an HD6G but I have done it on several CAT track loaders. On Caterpillar it's fairly straight forward but it pays to check which alternator most easily applies to the conversion. I bought the bigger Delco 24V, single wire, as the mounting became far simpler to retrofit than the smaller one.  Use a tape measure and a bit of visual judgement and you'll do just fine.  
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 2:49am
I did this on an AC Forty Five grader which IIRC has a similar front end to yours.

I used a Bosch 24 volt single wire which is our common go to.  It uses a foot mount and you get a mounting bracket to suit.  I just lined everything up and welded the bracket to the Allis generator mount.  Even used the Allis slotted adjustment strap.  And the pulley from the generator.  No keyway in the alternator shaft so had to use Locktite to hold things down.

Edited by Ian Beale - 01 Dec 2021 at 2:55am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 4:19am
I did my measuring but those sheets went with my 7G.  If you have a 344 in yours, I cut down the old Generator mount, thru drilled the old single bolt holes to 1/2" then cut the nose set back for Alternator pivot followed with cutting the rear.  I used a Commercial 1/2" wide Two Groove belt pulley so could use the Allis Original Genny belt.  Just a Generic 24V Fleabay 'New' Alternator.

I did then Change the entire Start Charge circuit to Negative Ground from Positive, Started Fine Charged great.

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 7:29am
IIRC  the 6 and 6g use a wide C series belt
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic