This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pellet stove question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pellet stove question
    Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 7:36am
Ok, so I suppose it's been six to eight years ago that I bought a pellet stove on an auction sale. Seems to be a good quality one. I know the guy who sold it and trust him, and he said it worked well. Well, I brought it home, and never have used it, but got a hankering to use it this year. So cleaned it up and decided to do a test run in my quonset last night. Put new pellets in it. Now, I don't know anything about pellet stoves, don't have a manual for it, and can't find a name brand on it. So that brings up a few questions. I was thinking that pellet stoves have an electric igniter, but this one obviously doesn't. Only has an off/on switch, a reostat switch for the blower and the auger. So we got some pellets ginnin in the firebox, lit them with a torch, and everything seemed to be working well. At first we thought that the blower switch was not working, because the blower ran at the same speed no matter where we turned the knob. But then after it warmed up, another blower kicked on that blew heat out. So I guess we learned that it has one constant speed blower for the firebox, and a variable speed blow to blow out the heat. So we left it run while we went to do something else for a few minutes, and when we came back, it had shut down. Don't know why, but it started right back up by hitting the on button, and worked for, oh say, another half hour. Then we were content that it was time to shut it down. Hit the off button, but nothing changed. It kept running. Does it have a shut down cycle or something? And do you have to run it out of pellets before shutting it down,so that it doesn't back burn into the pellet hopper?
I guess that the way most pellet stoves work, the auger drops the pellets onto the firebox, thus no way for a back burn into the pellet hopper. On this one, the auger pushes the pellets right onto the firebox. One would think that the fire could backfeed through the auger and into the hopper after shutting it down. Anyway, we emptied the hopper of pellets, and left it for the night. I imagine that this is a pretty old pellet stove, maybe too primitive to be using. But it sure seems to be well built; very heavy. I wish I could find a brand name on it and do a Google search for information on it, but I can't. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Darrel
Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:17am
Wink I know very little about pellet stoves, but did fetch a ton or 2 for the MIL about 10 years ago. Angry But told those cheap ones don't heat my house like the expensive ones did. Embarrassed What did I know. Cry Then my daughter (the best grand daughter) found a open window in the laundry area. Clap Window closed house warm Embarrassed and I was not so bad after all.

So maybe a picture and one of people here will be able to tell you what brand it is. There has to be some kind of thermostat to turn things on and off. Maybe one to many mouse has been sleeping on it in the 8 years. Hopefully we will have a resident expert. No fun in just buying new parts and hoping. 
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:06am
No pellet stove experts on here?
Lol
Darrel
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:20am
not me, but
post a few pix of it, maybe someone will know.....
you'd think a quality unit would have their name on it ??
ANY name, numbers ?? something ??
been told Google(?) has an ap... give it a picture, it finds it 'on the web' for you.

always wondered if you could use corn kernals instead of 'pellets'...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:01pm
BIL has pellet furnace. Has run corn through it but you can’t just pull grain out of the bin for it. Must be much drier than what you can store it at. Went back to wood pellets years ago. Beyond that, I have no experience with them.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 1:05pm
We have a corn / pellet stove in the farm shop the induction air can runs the entire time the stove is lit when shut down itll stop the feed and continue to run till the fire goes out when it no longer senses flame it shuts off. When lighting we have to use a small cup of pellets with some alcohol gel on them once the stove sences flame itll turn the induction fan on. Ours has a adjustable air control on the back when we set it up I adjusted the flem running on bin corn per the instruction manual. If using bin corn you need to open the shaker box and vacuum every day it only takes 5 minutes before starting it. It is a convertible corn wood pellet stove when setup by the manual it works great.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 1:14pm
Burning corn sucks.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 2:42pm
I'll look it over closer tonight, or this weekend, try to find a brand name on it.
Are they supposed to be trouble free enough to run while unattended, or is that a big no no?
Thanks for the responses
Darrel
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 12:54am
we heated with a corn burner for over 10 years, was a great heater for the house, when i quit farming, i couldn't  control the moisture content of the corn from the elevator, they always tried selling me wet corn. so we bought a pellet stove, same size stove as the corn stove. used same exhaust outlet as the corn stove. the pellet stove heats the house very well but is high maintenence. has to be cleaned every day. the corn stove could go a week without cleaning. ours is a KING brand sold at TSC. JohnCo has a better pellet stove but i don't remember the name brand of it right now. anyways Darrel...most pellet stoves do have an igniter built in but they don't seem to last long and lighting them with the alcohol/match/torch is o-k. when you push the on button there should be a fan start up, and that will pressurize the stove, when the internal temp gets to the factory settings then the auger should start feeding and the bigger fan start blowing the heat out into the room. if the pressure is lost inside the stove (ussually when a door is left open or the hopper door is open) the stove will shut down on it's own. if it has been running o-k for hours and you shut it down, the pellets should stop feeding and the fan will run until the inside stove temp goes way down. really corn/pellet stoves operate about the same, some are puterized and some are not. if you have a glass door on the from, never use windex or any cleaning solution to clean it, it'll ruin it. use just clean water and paper towels after the glass has completly cooled down. oh....and if your stove keeps losing it's internal pressure, check the door gasket, it might be leaking. hope this helps you. ask JohnCo what brand stove he has and buy that one!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 11:42am
Thanks Shameless!
I suppose that I had better take back that statement I made about your machine being "whimpy"! L!
Darrel
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 1:54am
awwwwww.....i just concidered the source! LOL, you know i'll help ya all i can, 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic