This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Garden

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garden
    Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 5:07am
After the disastrous garden this year from all the rain I have decided to try one indoors.
I was going to build a green house but I still would have to get water and heat out there when it gets to zero in the winter.

Got a room in the basement that's about 12x24. Have a bunch of grow lights and food grade 5 gal. buckets from Lowes for $5 each. Lettuce, bell peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage. LED grow lights, very little energy consumption. Put off enough heat to keep that room at 74.

They all seem to be doing pretty well. Have gotten lettuce and peppers so far. Tomatoes by December.
See how it goes.

Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 8:02am
Do you get "bugs" in the indoor garden?
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 8:18am
Fruit flies/knats, they are in the soil. Peroxide and water mix sprayed on the soil helps keep them to a minimum. Doesn't hurt the plants. Dishsoap/vinegar and water in a couple of bowls helps too.
Only ones I have had to deal with so far.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 8:34am
well, at least you dont have to worry about the raccoons and rabbits eating everything !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 9:43am
sounds interesting.  Got huge frost here last night.  bye bye tomatoes
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

sounds interesting.  Got huge frost here last night.  bye bye tomatoes
Here too. Carrots and turnips are the only thing left now. They will likely become green manure. Bought time to put the plow to the garden for the year.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 1:54pm
 We had heavy frost and freeze last night down to 29 wiped out the tomatoes & peppers. Now I can dig wife's elephant ears & Canna
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 2:22pm
pumpkin processing!

29 here for 2 nights here too. Pumpkins are in and the only thing left is to dig the cannas and calla lilies. --- not sure its gonna ever dry enough to plow this fall---still waiting on that!
Bout time to grab the first round of horseradish! lol!

steamed, drained and ready to go into the freezer,---OR pie!

This one was only 31 pounds but will make a lot of pies.
These are food grade pumpkins. We dont waste the time with the decorator kind.

Oh,---and no I didnt save a piece of that pie for anybody! --- Virginia has made a bunch of them so far and they are great!

http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 6:35pm
Dayum, where did you get the seeds for those puppies.  Neighbor gave me some this fall that looked like that but midgets compared to yours.  Great pumpkin bars (my fav) and pies.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 6:43am
Well... Progressing fairly good. Got probably a dozen good size tomatoes off of one plant. 
Lots of lettuce. Bell peppers out the wazzo. Potatoes I will check next weekend. From a probe it seems like there are some decent ones in the bucket. cabbage is coming along nicely. Big learning curve doing this.

Got my seeds from Gurney. Started 8 bell pepper plants from the same package. 4 plants came up very different from the others. Thought they were just small bell peppers and there is a bunch of them.
Was making some stuffed bell peppers to put on the grill and thought I would add some of these little ones to the mix. 
Cutting them up something wasn't right so I bit a piece off. Holy Mother Of Pearl, I thought I was going to have call 911. They are habanero's. I have never bought those in my life. I eat Jalapeno's in food but not these things. 

Think I will concoct something to kill mice with these. If it don't kill them then they will wish they were dead.

Got a guy I work with that wants some. I'm not going to tell him he is going to need tongs to take a piss after processing these.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 7:06am
Good luck with the mouse bait. I think humans are the only animal dumb enough to eat that stuff. Myself included
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 8:46am
common AC let us in on the seed source.  Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic