This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7 pin to 7 blade trailer plug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7 pin to 7 blade trailer plug
    Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 10:40pm
Needing to pull a utility(car hauler/uhaul) style trailer behind a class 8 straight truck, that has the semi trailer plug wiring. This truck normally pulls a pup trailer equipped with air brakes. This utility trailer has electric brakes, which won’t be used. Do the wire colors match up, other than the blue wire which won’t be used.TIA
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Sponsored Links

BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 6:10am
The wiring for class 8 like in semi trailer has separate wire for brake lights and green is right turn yellow is left. 7 flat for utility trailers have the turn signal wires and your brake lights run thru them so to make it work you'll have to add another trailer plug for utility trailer and wire it into tail light wiring for truck bc it's wired the same as pickups or any other smaller vehicles
59 D17 gas nf, 66 XT 190, 69 220.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 6:20am
Can take an extra wiring cable(the semi coiled type) and put a 7 blade receptacle on the end of that. Instead of tapping the truck wire harness? I extra of those cables.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 6:47am
You can use whatever wiring you prefer but in order to have functional brake lights on the utility trailer you'll have to tie into tail light harness. It's really not that hard we done it to one of our semis on the farm to pull a gooseneck with occasionally.
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 6:50am
7 pin class 8 truck wiring has a red wire for brake lights and then green and yellow for turn. If you put 7 blade socket on and hook into trailer socket on truck you will have marker and turn lights but no brake lights
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 7:07am
That’s what I was afraid of. I hate to tap into the trucks wire harness because so many people have boogered it up over the years. Hate to open that can of worms. The truck is a 1995 Kenworth.
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 7:46am
Lol I know what you mean. If a guy had time you can make a pretty nice harness that would be plug and play and would replace all the cobbed mess from previous repairs over the years. I've done it before just need access to some weather pack connecters and terminals.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 8:56am
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 9:10am
I suggest you check the operation of the signal lights on your class 8 truck and the round plug.  I know many tractors, and  some straight trucks, are wired so the brake lights go through the signal switch, as well as the stop wire in the socket/plug.  Most tractors only have one tail light, each side, on the tractor for bobtailing; so the brake lights work on the same filament as the signal just like cars and pickups (same for straight trucks).  If a semi trailer only has one parking/signal light each side on rear, the stop light wire is not used.  The separate stop light wire in the trailer plug comes into play mainly on trailers that run two, or more tail lights per side.   That gives them a signal light and multiple stop lights.  If that is the case you will only need the two turn signal wires, the ground and the parking light circuit to make a jumper with a 7 round pin male plug on the truck end and a 7 flat blade female socket on the trailer end to have lights on your car hauler.  I also suggest you go by pin/blade position as far as function not colors.  There are plenty of pictures available on line of the SAE standards for both the round and flat blade connectors.  The 7 flat blade connector blade positions are the same the SAE and RV standards, but they use some different color wires for the functions, Hence I say use blade/pin positions not colors.  Just my experience over the years, others may vary. 

Edited by Jim.ME - 30 Oct 2021 at 9:14am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 9:54am
Codes vary from 7 pin to 7 pin, and not all are compatible

7-Way Flat SAE Connector Diagram
7-Way Plug RV Standard Diagram
7-Way Plug Heavy Duty Diagram
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 10:20am
Sorry if I wasn't clear on what I was trying to convey.  The function positions of the blades of the two 7 blade connectors are the same, the wire colors may vary.  The function positions and wire colors of the round pin connectors are different than the flat blade ones.  One needs to match the function to the correct standard pin/blade position of the type connector they are using.  One can jumper from round to flat so as to have just the lights, as Lars asked.   He will only need  wire the  ground, parking light, left turn and right turn from the round pin plug to the proper blades on the flat blade socket to make a jumper for lights, no others should be used to avoid shorting anything out.  If one wants full 7 blade SAE or RV function (electric brakes, aux power, and reverse lights) separate wiring would be required to a 7 blade socket,  on a truck with the 7 pin socket currently.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 10:30am
Been dealing with the Oddball Codes and wiring colors for 5 decades now, nothing is set in stone save DOT Round Pin plugs, go to small 6 pin and gets FAR Worse.  So many companies and individuals wire to their own preferences as well that throws it ALL up into a flurry of Crap.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 10:45am
I don't disagree there are a lot of odd balls out there, and I have found screwed up 7 pin DOT round ones.  I use the standards as a starting point and use a test light to confirm what is where, as I expect you do.  That's also one of the reasons I say not to go by wire colors, but to check the function.  Nothing like chasing a 7 pole trailer wired with all one color and gauge wire, or the ones that are one color at the front and you find totally different colors at the lights, when you start working backwards from a dead light.
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 12:20pm
I agree with not always going by wire colors, especially in a situation like this. As far as some tractors having brake light power on turn light posts I'm not saying some don't but I've never seen it and would consider the possibility unlikely. Best bet is check the 7 pin connector on back of truck and verify, if it does work that way by chance would be simple to make an adapter for the utility trailer.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 12:20pm
Thanks for everybody’s input, brings flashbacks of when on the farm dealing with IHC truck wiring, all wires were black, with silver numbers on them, if the numbers weren’t worn off.
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 12:27pm
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by BPM75 BPM75 wrote:

I agree with not always going by wire colors, especially in a situation like this. As far as some tractors having brake light power on turn light posts I'm not saying some don't but I've never seen it and would consider the possibility unlikely. Best bet is check the 7 pin connector on back of truck and verify, if it does work that way by chance would be simple to make an adapter for the utility trailer.

Got one setting in the yard that way right now.  One tail light on each side of the frame at the rear.  Each is a tail, turn, and stop light.   One 1157 bulb in each of them.  From working on them for years, I am sure there are many more out there wired the same.  A lot of dump trucks are the same, three function, single lamp on each side of the frame.  Brake lights run through the signal light switch, dedicated stop goes to the socket for the trailer.  Unless a tractor has dedicated stop lights at the rear of the frame in addition to the signal lights, that dedicated stop wire generally just goes to the trailer to operate the stop lights (usually the inner lights of a pair each side of a trailer).  As was posted people wire them their own way at times; best practice is always to check the socket with a test light while someone else works the signals and brakes to be certain how it is wired.  
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 1:01pm
Yes the tail lights are I'm aware of that but the 7 way trailer plug is?
That's what I was referring to.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 1:26pm
Some are, some aren't.  If a trailer has amber signals those are supposed to be signal only, no brake or parking function, so the signal and stop lights have to be separate.  If the lamps are all red on the rear the stop and signal can be combined on at least one lamp on each side for turn and stop (generally the outer one of the two).  They can be wired either way, so checking the socket pins is the only certain way to tell if the tow vehicle signal wires are also carrying brake light power on a given unit.  Cycle the signals on and off with the brakes applied, with air up and engine running.   With the brakes applied if the light goes steady (bright) when the signal is turned off, they are combined through the signal switch.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 2:33pm
Using codes above, wire a Second 7wire Flat Blade plug on the truck, don't dink up the 7 pin round DOT Plug just wire in a parasite RV or Electric Brake Commercial trailer plug and have both available.  Just ignore the brakes circuit and hope DOT does not notice.

Edited by DMiller - 30 Oct 2021 at 2:34pm
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 3:34pm
DMiller, that is 100% the best answer, especially if anyone is going to tow the trailer more than one time.  An electric brake controller can be easily added as they no longer have to hook into a brake line like the old ones.  Then there is no question.  Did that when I rewired the tractor we have this summer as we are going to set it up to haul goosenecks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic