This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off color
    Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 6:19am
At work, there is a parked Navistar 4900, 4x2, DT466e, with the ‘6 Speed Plus’ transmission. 235,000 on the odometer, but over 9200 hours on the motor.
Sitting since 2015, supposedly for transmission issue. Truck will start, and we can move around the yard, but haven’t taken out on the road due to no tags.
What can I expect for longevity left on this motor? I know the engine is actually a Detroit, tranny issue can addressed, it’s motor that is the unknown.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Sponsored Links

TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 7:41am
I believe the DT466 is an international. The old 466s were like the 7.3 that was in Ford's, probably the best motor built next to the old 12.7 series 60 Detroit. The 466 evolved into the maxi force motor. If it's a maxi force don't walk away,,run as fast as you can, absolute garbage
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 7:54am
The truck is 2000 model year.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 8:08am
I’ve got a truck with a DT 466, 435,000 miles still runs perfect. It is an international.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 8:24am
DT-466 is an International motor. Future life of the motor. like most things, is greatly dependent on it's past care. Could go for quite a while yet. 
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 8:31am
If it's a 2000 and no one has tried doing any updates or modifications to it I'd say your good
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 8:53am
It actually is IH motor? Ok, from other sources claimed it’s a DD.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 9:59am
Yes it is a Navistar, not Detroit.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 1:39pm
ITS JUNK!!! so is 7.3 and good luck on ever finding anybody that will work on them. Also the parts are overpriced and you need a LOT of them often!!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 5:41pm
7.3s from 99 up to 2003 are longevity in a nutshell.  Mine has 340,000 on it towing whatever I had behind it at the time Most of the time!!

DTs were the lifeblood of IH for a LONG time, installed in the tractors, trucks, HE and worked well in all, parts abound for them still as just saw a fresh OH come out of a shop not far from here, full out of frame, close to 800,000 on it when piston failed.
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

ITS JUNK!!! so is 7.3 and good luck on ever finding anybody that will work on them. Also the parts are overpriced and you need a LOT of them often!!

What planet are you from??? LOL This is why you don't take internet advice.

Bulletproof motor. About the only good one International ever made. There's a reason most of the top class pulling tractors use motors based on this block.

I'm almost done laughing now. No wait....not yet.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 6:53pm
I had a 7.3 never had one problem with it ,that one got totaled, my next one was a 6.0 put 267,000 on it with no problem only sold it because we wanted a crew cab dually,this one's a 6.0 and again no problems just regular maintenance,, I don't know maybe I'm just lucky but then again I put 1,467,000 on my series 60 Detroit with nothing more than scheduled maintenance. Not once has any of those trucks left me on the side of the road.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 7:39pm
Series 40 Detroits were 530 Navistars. Detroit had a demand for mid-size motors but not enough to design one so they contracted with Navistar to build them. Worked on several Pierce firetrucks with Series 40 Detroits.
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by TomC TomC wrote:

I had a 7.3 never had one problem with it ,that one got totaled, my next one was a 6.0 put 267,000 on it with no problem only sold it because we wanted a crew cab dually,this one's a 6.0 and again no problems just regular maintenance,, I don't know maybe I'm just lucky but then again I put 1,467,000 on my series 60 Detroit with nothing more than scheduled maintenance. Not once has any of those trucks left me on the side of the road.

I had two 6.0 Powerstrokes too after the bulletproof reliable and awesome on fuel 7.3's.

The first 6.0 F350 was reliable UNTIL I put a 500 h.p. 900 ft/lb tune in it. Then it poppped head gaskets.
The F550 was already studded, big injectors,  Bulletproof brand EGR and oil coolers, blue spring kit etc, because it had a big power program and it was trouble free other than an IRP valve failing.

1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 8:12pm
And when the first one popped I wasn't on the internet saying the 6.0 was junk or Ford screwed me.......I knew it was my own stupidity that blew it up.

Pretty obvious when all the stock International VT365 medium duty trucks were trouble free and my TUNED Ford version blew up......kinda know where the blame is there.

Although the Ford Motorcraft Gold coolant was the biggest killer of that engine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic