This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cherry Tree

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cherry Tree
    Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 7:41am
Have a cherry tree I planted about 25 years ago and basically ignored it other than trying to 'not' get my head ripped off mowing around it.
It's loaded with cherries but they are not ripe yet, in my understanding of ripe. According to google they should be firm and juicy. These are hard like biting into a green apple.

Supposed to be ready in August from what I can tell. Was like that last year too.
I think the frost is going to get them before they are ready.
Don't know what kind it is but I know I got it from Arbor Day as a 3' pencil.

Any knowledge about this?
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 8:33am
You sure that is not a Crab Apple?
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 8:53am
Very sure. I have 2 of those. Completely different.
Fruits can be a nickle to almost a quarter size.
If I could post a pic I would.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 9:07am
May not have matured enough to produce edible fruit then.  Have a Peach tree delivers small Rock Hard peaches at 5' tall, just not enough tree according to Botanist nearby.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 9:26am
How long does it take? It's probably 16'-18' tall.
25 years it should be ready I would think.
Anyway, I will see how the progress goes in the next few weeks.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 9:59am
They should be ready by first frost.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 10:36am
You'll KNOW when they're ready...
The birds and squirrels will grab ALL the good ones, nibble the rest, you get ...squat...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 11:05am
What kind of cherry did you plant? Birds will let you know when ripe. Any bug damage to the fruit?
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 11:33am
I have never got cherries from either of my cherry trees as soon as one turns they eat the trees bare
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 5:48pm
Hard to believe they're not ripe by now, mine ripen early spring and the tree was loaded this year.  Mine are Montmorency, a tart small pie cherry, and we had some goodun's this year.  My tree has been in for about 20 years, started producing around year 4 or so.  Yours sure seems late and maybe a sweet desert cherry, give them some time and I haven't had any bird problems with the cherry tree but I've seen crows eating my pears.
Maximum use of available resources!
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by allisbred allisbred wrote:

What kind of cherry did you plant? Birds will let you know when ripe. Any bug damage to the fruit?

Don't know. 25 years ago when planted. Just ignored it for whatever reason. Tried to identify it by fruit color, can't tell yet.
No bug damage at all. Deer get to the low hangers and on the ground more than anything.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

You'll KNOW when they're ready...
The birds and squirrels will grab ALL the good ones, nibble the rest, you get ...squat...

Jay, You beat me to it...Wink

First thing I would do is to have someone ID the tree by variety, then check the books, to see if it is "right" for the area you are in. If its the wrong tree for the area, your hunt for cherries may be fruitless...WinkWink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 6:32pm
Cherries are one of the earlier ripening stone fruits. Before you chop that tree down try selling it a nursey to use as a late season cherry for growing in very long growing season areas. But it still may not have a good taste and still be worthless.

None of the stone fruits (having a pit) breed true from a seed. They root stocks that are hardier  and take cutting off, or grow seeds to get rootstock. Then you graft known varieties onto the rootstock.Seems they gave you a rootstock that the graft never got done on or it died.

Read about a guy in Switzerland I think it was, planted hundreds of apple seeds every year trying to get a new variety of apple that was use full before he died. I think the story was he was turning over his nursery to others to see if any seed he planted would be a useful apple. As he was dyeing and had 1000's of trees to young to have a apple yet. So very much a long shot to grow a fruit tree from seed and have a usable fruit from it.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 2:29pm
We planted Molly Delious Apple seeds and are harvesting apples off of them
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:43pm
My father would spray our orchard twice a year for bugs , bagworms were the main culprit in our area. Grandfather claimed if you didn't spray you wouldn't get much fruit. Spent a lot of time as a youth pruning fruit trees ,apple, cherry ,pear , they tried
some peach , pecan and other trees but our climate did not suit them .
My grandfather was a tough old bird (WW1 Stock). Only time I ever saw him cry was when the big cherry tree in the orchard came down in a storm. Why are you crying Grandpa ? He told me if you knew all the effort that went into raising that tree you would be crying also.
Good luck with your tree Fixer
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 3:22pm
Well now. I cut one of those "cherries" open last night and found 2 apple seed looking things in there. I'm thinking wat the hell is this thing. I know they are not apples or so I thought.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 3:35pm
WOW!! never knew these existed, but sounds like what you have for sure!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 3:45pm
I didn't either. Exact same thing.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 6:00pm
Not exactly the same. Looked at it again when I got home. It's how the fruit stems come off the limbs. Looks very similar to cherries but not exactly. How it comes off the limb and paired. There are 20 variations of crab apple and this is one. Seeing this Himalayan weirdness in KS to off the wall from Arbor Day. I don't know what the dumbass that ordered them was thinking.
DMiller was right.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic