This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

just a word of caution...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: just a word of caution...
    Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 2:25am
after reading Joe's last post...had a friend at work that had to clean out his mothers house, he called GOODWILL and they sent a truck and 2 dudes out to the house. a lady showed up in a car and walked thru the house telling the dudes what to load and what not to load. turned out the lady cancelled their visit there, said there wasn't anything they wanted from the house. they all left. about 2 weeks later he got a bill in the mail from GOODWILL for $500. to cover the cost of their truck showing up at his mothers place. when GOODWILL wouldn't take anything from the house he met a lady down the street, she volinteered at another type used clothing/furniture store and after her seeing what was there, that store sent numerous dudes in pickups to get the stuff, they took everything and were so excited about it all. they gave him a receipt on the stuff for taxes too! that was the first time i ever heard of GOODWILL doing something like that!  i guess it's something to ask about if anyone has to make a call like that. 
Sponsored Links

dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 2:47am
I know trucks wil come out but I've never heard of them sending a bill.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 4:42am
Goodwill is such a scam.  Every time I go to the store, they ask me if I want to round up a $4 shirt to $5, I say yeah, when the ceo of goodwill rounds his salary down to $1,000 a day!Thumbs Down
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 12:15pm
Goodwill is a joke they don't even make the top 10 for donations
AcFordHawk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcFordHawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 1:20pm
Last time we tried to donate items to Goodwill they were rather particular about what items they would take plus pretty particular on the condition.  Almost like it had to be new out of the box.

Have another type store nearby and take lot more stuff.  Clothing seems to be the hold up as they get quite a bit of it.

IB (restoring), MF GC1705, MF 2705E
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 2:39pm
   Yes, go to a church run thrift store that's across the street from Goodwill and is a lots nicer cheaper and friendlyier 
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 7:09pm
Goodwill started out as a great thing - now is a business, sad
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 7:39pm
Took a load to GW in Washington MO two years ago, they separated everything as to furnishings, educational, clothing, hardware(Kitchen stuff).  So took receipt and drove away, went up the hill to a Mex place for lunch and was seated where we could see that drop spot.  Within a half hour everything we dropped off was being thrown in a dumpster, was the LAST time I will ever give any Usable items to GW, all we have donated recently went to a Aid to poor families center, they took our stuff straight in, had people that were in need already loading up of it as left.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 7:41pm
If we donate, it either to Salvation Army, or St. Vincent de Paul Society. Have also shopped at both, and found many bargains.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 8:29pm
The local 'Habitat for Humanity' has a  'Restore' store, where they accept donations of house making stuff(doors, tools, wood, etc. ) neighbour took 8-10 antique doors (1900s) plus a complete kitchen(new, never used). They turned him away !! Man was he 'upset'. Now we just find other locals that can reuse our stuff....sad really.
i think all these operations start  out with the best of intentions,but somewhere 'they' get corrupted and lose sight of what they SHOULD be doing.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 3:45am
My retirement employer is into HFH, if the products are not new the builders that oversee the projects generally will not accept them.

So far the company is eight for ten as to abandoned HFH houses before five years are up where most are so destructively picked over by locals there is nothing left to recover and are torn the rest of the way down.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:20am
I'm certain most of you have heard the Old English Proverb: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"...

If you look at a charitable organization, and it looks like it's big, clean, well organized, well staffed...  That should be a signal.
The answer is pretty simple, and it's published here:

"Currently, there are two public faces of Goodwill. Organization expert Lorie Marrero is the face of the Donate Movement, which began in 2010. ABC correspondent Evette Rios partnered with Goodwill in 2012 to help appeal to the Latin American market.[10] Form 990 filed by Goodwill Industries listed the 2017 salary of CEO James Gibbons as $598,300 with additional compensation of $118,927."

This is out-of-date, as Gibbons has since resigned, but still, the compensation is beyond astronomical.  What 'charitable organization' that pays it's leadership at this magnitude?
that's $717,227.00 a year.... do you REALLY think they're giving to the poor?

No, these are profit-making organizations posing under the guise of 501C.  Tar and feathers are warranted here.

It is for reasons like this, that 'social programs' should NEVER be part of a government or business, nor should businesses or governments become active as a 'charity'.  The mere presence of monetary flow eventually leads to a cycle of corruption whereby that flow is 'tapped off' and diverted for some end OTHER than the 'advertised' goal.  It is by this act, that all the 'good intentions' hath paved the path.

Take it to your local church... hand it over to people you've known for decades.  When they sell it, the income will not only be small enough to expose 'skimming', it will also be within the protection of the congregation's concience, and the community 'needy' will be properly vetted, and properly assisted according to genuine need.

Edited by DaveKamp - 07 Oct 2021 at 1:32am
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 7:12am

I decided to go out of town when I finally got to where I was ready to give my wife's clothes away. She always bought "nice" clothes for herself and "saved" money by buying at walmart for ole Joe,,,,,So what I had to give away were a BIG closet full of "nice" clothes. I just didn't want to meet somebody else wearing her clothes downtown. I called the Chamber Of Commerce in the Alien Town and the lady suggested I take them to a new Charity that was all volunteer and none of the workers took a salary,,AND NO CEO,,!! She told me ALL the profits went to another LOCAL Charity that assisted LOCAL children with food and clothes, thru all of the LOCAL churches. The first load I took them was so heart warming as the three workers just made one feel so good about donating to such a great cause. When you have things to donate,, call your local Chamber Of Commerce as they know who does the best things for needy families and children.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 8:18am
  Great advise Joe, Tjank You. Glad to be hear from you and prayers for you as you go forward
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic