This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taking my one ton to Ontario

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking my one ton to Ontario
    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 1:09pm
I am taking my truck on a trip to Ontario this weekend, I live in Missouri & have it properly tagged for the state of Missouri, with any tag over 12,000 in Missouri you are issued one plate for the front only, I've been all over the Midwest with it without any issue but never Canada. You can,& I did order a rear plate but it won't be here for 8 to 10 weeks, I have all that paperwork showing I have a secondary plate on order, the original registration says right on it " issued one plate to be displayed on the front of the vehicle" have any of you had any experience with this?
Sponsored Links

TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 1:12pm
Oops, forgot, don't know if it makes a difference but I have 24,000 tags on it
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 4:17pm
I don't see a problem... LOTS of 'Americans' visit Canada every year with only one plate,
it'll be having all your dang Chinese virus paperwork and tests that'll be the PITA......
I've seen lots of Canucks driving around without plates, cops don't even bat an eye...

watch out fro EVERYONE on the road ! truckers, sportscars, and anyone hauling any kind of trailer...sad to say but the qulaity of drivers has gone waaaaaaay downhill in the past 3-4 decades.
hope you have a safe trip !!
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 4:35pm
Thanks Jay,I hear you on the PITA process to get there,we are going for our covid test Friday,have our proof of vaccination paperwork & are doing our pre check in on her computer in the morning. I didn't think I'd have a big problem & was hoping one of you guys there would answer. Our daughter lives in Toronto & were going up to help get our grandson moved to college. And you are correct sir I was an owner operator from 1974 until April 2020 & finally sold out & retired, but yes the quality of drivers has definitely gone south in the past years, what you used to see maybe once a year is now a daily occurrence
Bill(MO) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 6:25pm
I've been stopped twice in Wisconsin. Even got a warning ticket after showing my Missouri registration. I have 18000 tag on my K2500 Chev.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 6:42pm
I haven't been stopped for it yet, I did go ahead and bought the second plate, I'm sure I'll be getting pulled over when they see a 24,000 tag on the rear, kinda damned if you do and damned if you don't.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 7:07pm
Just remember that 24,000 pounds is over the 10,000 pound threshold and you MUST adhere to federal commercial vehicle laws. The main one for a vehicle under 26,000 is a FMCSA inspection sticker. In your home state, this may not be a big issue, however it is something that cops like to target out of state vehicles for, farm vehicle or not. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 8:32pm
You will have no trouble whatsoever.  If you are crossing at Detroit going to Toronto, and staying on the highway, you will be 12 miles away from me on your way through.  Have a safe trip! 
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 9:58pm
I also wonder if it is that there are so many more drivers on the highway that things happen more often.   Last year was great for most of the year as there were a lot less cars on the road, I often didn't have to wait to get out my driveway with a machine, now its back to pre covid, sometimes waiting several minutes to get out at busy times of the day.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 10:03am
  The border is open on the Canadian side but can you get back into the United States, because Biden hasn't opened the US side?
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 11:40am
I'm about 99% sure it's open for US citizens coming back, BUT I'll double check that because that would really suck to get stuck up there, wonderful people up there but I have no intention of moving there.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 2:58pm
I was told Biden wasn't opening the US side till August 21
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 8:21pm
From what we're told United States citizens can come back in it's not opening until the 21st for Canadians coming into the States, we got that all ironed out. What REALLY bgot things messed up was when we did the covid test the young lady doing data entry on mine got my birthday wrong & my email wrong. We worked on that today from 8 this morning until 5 this afternoon. But with the help of a young lady at their data center over in Dayton Ohio we got it squared away. Man what a ride and we haven't even left the house yet.
Joe Goodwill View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Goodwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 1:26pm
Had an American family member come up last week 10 minutes at the border went down yesterday five minutes at the border no issues
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 5:11pm
That sounds good, we're crossing at Sarnia,blue water bridge, tomorrow ,those folks on both sides are way less intense. I'll post how it went tomorrow, so far only SNAFU was they gal that had my covid test paperwork all messed up.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 4:03pm
We cleared at Sarnia at 1 PM, he ask for passports,arive Canada form, covid test and license number of truck,we weren't in there 5 minutes.
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 9:25pm
Welcome to Canada Tom!!

Enjoy your visit!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 2:11pm
 Enjoy your visit
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 4:33pm
It took more time waiting for the traffic light at the ambassador bride than it did to clear customs coming back in. We had a great time,ate anything that wasn't bolted down, got our grandson moved to college & set up. Fixed a couple things at our daughters house,made it back in 13.75 hours,, was a good trip, NEXT??? Headed to Mt.Pleasant for 6 days for the threshers reunion,
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 5:09pm
GREAT news , you made it back out A-OK !!!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 5:32pm
Do even young children need a covid test?
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 5:43pm
Brian,I'm guessing your talking about going into Canada from the U.S., here is the Canadian website Arrive an.com, you'll have to download the app,it will tell you what you need, we needed our passports,proof of your vaccination,a covid test done no more than 72 hours before clearing the port,she had that arrive Canada deal done and all he looked at was our passports and the covid test.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 6:35pm
Children 5 and above must show proof of acceptable test, and negative result.

CVS says their molecular test results (acceptable to Canada) may take up to 48 hours.
Seems like a logistics problem to get the family all tested on time and then
hit the border before the 72 hour limit. When does the 72 hour clock start, from when they take the sample, or from when they give you the results.

Happy for you that your trip went well.

TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 8:54pm
It starts at the time you take the test,and be ABSOLUTELY sure they get birthdates AND the contact email correct,she screwed up my birthday and email address,we got ours on a Friday afternoon, she got her results back Saturday morning,mine was all messed up,my wife worked on it all day Saturday,she finally got help from a lady over in Dayton Ohio with minute clinic, minute clinic does all the testing and recording for CVS, CVS was no help,none, pretty much closed the door in our face over their screw up,we cleared into Canada at 1:30 pm Monday,the customs guy there did say you folks are cutting this way to close.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 5:59am
Brian, I see I got fat fingered on the website it is ArriveCan.com it walks you through everything,you can put the whole family on one application. the big thing is making sure CVS gets all the information correct and you set your schedule so you can get to the border within 72 hours of the test.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic