This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5 lift cylinder packing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moco27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5 lift cylinder packing
    Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 7:31pm
I have an HD5 with a blown seal in a bucket lift cylinder that I need to repack. What size is the packing and where is the best place to get it?
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 8:43pm
It's a V ring packing that is split ring , one lower backup ring and I believe 5 v rings .
Measure the shaft diameter and can get it from a hydraulic shop or try McMaster Carr 
  Save old rings as as packing wears you can add a additional ring to get more compression on present rings . 
 To get a sample and size - remove the 2 bolts from gland - raise brass gland from cylinder - then fish out old packing rings with a packing ring hook - ( small corkscrew ) 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 6:31pm
I check tomorrow but should have the cylinder packings for HD5
moco27 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moco27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 2:46pm
the packing that was in there was an impregnated rope but the rope comes in different sizes and the place where I get it said they need to know the size. The packing that is in there now may have been someone improvising but I have no way of knowing.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 7:15pm
I check todays and have some packing but not sure they look for the rod approximatif 2 inchs but have no parts number on and should have maybe 25 on racking in box
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 7:20pm
i just redid the cylinders on my early hd6 a year ago.  local hydraulic shop got me all the v ring packings and seals no problem.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 7:55pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 12:56am
It's a V ring style lowest one is a flat one side a V on top it's the first ring that shapes the other 5 rings above it to keep shape for the upper gland that is also V shaped  
 Sounds like someone added rope style to take up room and the expand old packing enough to keep the leaking small . 
 i did that on a telescoping cylinder on one dump truck until I got new V rings to install . 
That 2" mentioned above sounds about right size 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic