This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EVs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EVs
    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 5:14am
Brother in Law works at STL Metro bus service, mechanic. He was referencing the company bought four all electric battery powered buses last year but been unable to utilize them as when go to charge them the excess amp draw trips the local substation bot just in house breakers. Tried several different regional yard shops to same result.

So Metro and my previous employer agreed to a mutually finances separate and single service supply substation for Six charging stations at One facility
Are now able to charge the four buses het takes six hours to be able to operate for four hours. All have had to be towed back to the garage as battery power decreased too low at just over three hours and shut the system down to preclude damaging itself.

Electrical suppliers are being informed that a separate 200a service at each home just to supply a Car charger will be a new NEC code, will require replacing nearly every distribution transformer in service today and will end up requiring replacement of nearly every area supply substation transformer. Lines will have to be upscaled and generation Increased to support this.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 5:48am
yeah, 200A service as most homes have at LEAST 2 cars. ka-ching !!!

'22 'Mustangs' battery will cost $16000 Canucks every 8 years to replace.

if I knew I'd live longer, I'd go geothermal to generate both heat and power.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 6:07am
Geothermal here would require a Deep bore hole.
Not enough heat until reach thousands of feet. Need at least 400 degrees to generate any reasonable level of steam to bring the heat out. Now in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana are hot spots and hot ground springs, could likely get to a source but then have earthquake and volcano considerations.
Geothermal Ground Source heat pumps are a different story.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 6:10am
As to the battery price
Prius or Leaf batteries already exceed the book value of the car at time to replace.
Would be as installing a New not rebuilt engine in a twenty five year old car and considering it viable for another twenty five. Can they get another eight years service from these machines??
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 4:00pm
converting over the electrical system will take TIME... Just look how long it took to conver the old analog 320 dot TV system to the new digital 4K !!!   Time frame was move several times.... "OLD SCHOOL" houses / buildings were 60 amp service... Then everything was changed to 100 amp service. Some have 200 amp (home) already... having more power available never hurts.... Might take 40 years to get everything done.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 5:51pm
The ‘New’ 200a service is in addition to whatever already exists

Is strictly to feed the car(s).
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

yeah, 200A service as most homes have at LEAST 2 cars. ka-ching !!!

'22 'Mustangs' battery will cost $16000 Canucks every 8 years to replace.

if I knew I'd live longer, I'd go geothermal to generate both heat and power.

Are you 100% sure that Geo Thermal is your best option ?? From what I've seen/been around in the past 8 years, it will take DECADES to pay off the GT Confused
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 6:08pm
Major expense is the drilling the 4  vertical bore holes, actual 'heat exchanger' is a LOT cheaper than 20 years ago.Equipment is 'simple' compared to hieff furnaces with an 8 year lifespan.
The carbon tax, del tax, stor tax,13% GST taxes are OBSCENE up here. Eliminate the 'source' (gas or  electricity ) = NO fuel costs AND no *&*^& taxes. You need to be a chartered account to figure out the natgas and hydro bills up here....
If you have a 'wood burning appliance', kaching.... has to be 'certified' and house insurance needs a 'rider' ( $200+ 13% taxes, of course...).while I have the time, body says NO to splitting,stackin, burnin wood...even though I can get bushcords of logs every week for free.

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 6:58pm
I appreciate your "body says no" to the wood cutting/splitting/ feeding that particular beast, but I do work for a homeowner that has WATER FURNACE brand of GT heat/cooling that spends at a minimum of $800/year in maintenance on the unit. Between the well (it's shared with the homes water supply) and the initial cost of the unit, they claim they won't recoup their investment until 2035 (it was installed in 2014).
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 7:20pm
check: electricimportmotors.com
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 7:41pm
yeesh $800 a year in maintenance ??
curious am i , I'd like to know WHAT is wrong with it, what parts, etc.

I've got a 35 year old hi-eff natgas furnace/2T A/C unit here and don't have $500 into it for maintenance in that 35 year.....and that's including air filters(consumables...) 2 condensate pumps and one ventormotor/fan. Still >94% eff last fall.
Maybe they don't 'make em like they used ta ??

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 7:49pm
OPEN SYSTEM is the problem... Son has a CLOSED SYSTEM that pumps its own antifreeze.. Has had it about 10 years.. Almost paid for and NO MAINTENANCE yet.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 5:00am
Our Ground SOURCE, not true Geo'Thermal', is 3-500' loops at 5'-6' below grade.  No real annual maintenance, as noted is a Antifreeze(Not Automotive grade) loaded where will operate to 10 degrees F loop temp.  Neighbor has a dedicated 4 deepwell loop and antifreeze system and is nowhere near as efficient as ours financially.  Our home is 1850sf ground floor, with a walkout 1400sf lower level, we pay on average $170/mo heat or ac which includes heat and cool on 1/3 of my worksop space, they have a 1980sf story and half with a full basement yet pay close to $300/mo average just on the house.  

I do not know and will not ask what they are doing Wrong.

Edited by DMiller - 17 Jul 2021 at 5:00am
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 6:17am
We pay $225 mo. average total electric with a heat pump and fireplace supplemental winter heat. 2700sf.

I considered a ground source heat pump at one point and had a guy come out.
Have about 4' of dirt before I hit limestone in a good spot. Not cost effective.
Wife is on me about solar. I'm not convinced.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 7:52am
if, IF, you go solar , be sure to buy the 'sensor/module' that'll tell you how dirty the solar panels are, so that you can clean them to get more electrons from the  sun....
It doesn't take much 'dust or crud(grass crippings..)' to dramatically reduce the output of solar panels. Also have the battery bank in a separate building at a 'fire separated distance' from your house,garage and barn.

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 2:02pm
Our house was built in 78 and has a 200 amp service.

Just lease the battery cars for 2 or 3 years then the battery problem is solved.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

Our house was built in 78 and has a 200 amp service.

Just lease the battery cars for 2 or 3 years then the battery problem is solved.

And you will need a Second 'Dedicated' 200a service IF buy or lease a EV for the charging system.

Edited by DMiller - 17 Jul 2021 at 2:33pm
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 4:08pm
Leasing the cars is just passing the buck.  It means that you don't have to deal with the batteries after 5 years, but someone still DOES.  It doesn't change the recycling problem with these batteries or any of the other things associated with the batteries, it just gets the monkey off your shoulders.  Yep, the end justifies the means.  Not my problem, so I don't care.

Edited by Grayray - 17 Jul 2021 at 4:09pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 4:55pm
i wonder if these batteries will be in a few years like the catilatic converters were when they first came out, we couldn't give them away then, nor did the scrap yards want them. now they are a very hot item! 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 5:58pm
Too large heavy and require partial auto disassembly to remove, need a Forklift to move them.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 6:31pm
up here Ford will be on the hook for Ford batteries, Tesla for Tesla batteries...
at least in Ontario, the mfr of a product is responsible for the 'recycling' of their product.
Ontario puts a hefty tax(hidden of course) on tiress and electronics and paint and sigh, well dang near everything then THEY allow the stuff to go into a landfill.....
I know ,different land, different rules

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic