This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solar Farm ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Farm ??
    Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 6:53pm
Are any of you guys from mid Georgia ? We drove along I-75 north and south and saw a HUGE solar farm south of Macum on the east side. Any idea of how many acres is involved ? Looks like a portion is in production, another is going to be on-line soon and another portion is in the "building stage". There's a 200 acre site in this area, but the Georgia site is massive from what I could see at 80 mph LOLLOL
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 1:34am
i've been seeing alot of smaller solar farms along interstate highways, was told they run the juice for the larger rest stops. and one town near us has put in a larger solar farm, is to supply the juice for all the city needs. (govt buildings, street lights, and more).  
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 11:25am
You mean a place in George is going to take the title of largest solar farm away from California. One  on the east edge of county bought 5 or 6000 acres and had 2000 covered in panels last I heard.

It was prime farm ground, Wink not with a 7 inch average rainfall and no irrigation water. But the enviro nuts where worried about taking it out of production as the endangered kangaroo rats and blunt nose leopard lizards would be displaced. 

LOL But was prime back in 85 when CRP was paying $50 acre rent for it.LOL Just as big a rip off as paying the price for solar. Angry

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 11:29am
But the enviro nuts where worried about taking it out of production as the endangered kangaroo rats and blunt nose leopard lizards would be displaced.    Thumbs Up   LOL   LOL

Thats also why California has NO WATER !

Edited by steve(ill) - 13 Jul 2021 at 11:31am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

But the enviro nuts where worried about taking it out of production as the endangered kangaroo rats and blunt nose leopard lizards would be displaced.    Thumbs Up   LOL   LOL

Thats also why California has NO WATER !

What you talking about Steve. You go to the cities they still have nice green real grass lawns. IT IS ONLY FARMERS THAT ARE SHORT OF WATER. Wink But you know how dum the farmers are THEY WOULD GROW FOOD. Everybody in the Land of Fruits and Nuts knows the grocery store always has all that you need.LOLLOLLOL So let what we have run down the river so salmon can get back to the ocean. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 12:49pm
YEP.... all that snow that melts off the mountains puts out BILLIONS of gallons of water...  That belongs to the bug eyed fish and snails...let it run to the ocean... Sure dont want to waste it on us HUMANS !!  Wink
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 3:47pm
There's a good sized farm here along I96.  It's not as big as you're talking but the biggest I've seen.  I see they added more on every time I go by.  It used to be a Xmas tree farm so I'm sure they had to fight someone to get permission.LOL
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 5:01pm
A farm is land that produces food.
I'm not against producing electricity with sunshine, but Michigan ranks 47th of the 48 continental states.
To me putting solar panels in Michigan is like building a factory to build cars in a desert where you would not find anyone to work built those cars.    
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 5:36pm
The largest is the Butler Solar Farm outside Macon.  22mW, yet only develops Peak delivery for 7-9 hours per day.  

Average home use in GA is roughly 1000kw/month or 33kw per day, one mw will supply over 30,000 homes for a day then this Solar plant can supplement power to 600,000 per day, when NOT raining, Not excessively Cloudy, or during darkness.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 4:15am
The area of the Butler 'Farm' is 150 acres so right at 7 acres per MW electric.  Accorded by the site's notations is large enough to power 25,000 homes, Says NADA as to Business or Industry.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 5:36am
you need 1MW of power to recharge 41 EVs.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 8:47am
22MW is 22,000 KW ............  house uses about 1 KW per hour so that is 22,000 houses  IF the solar is available all day long EVERY DAY........... normally NOT.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic