This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More troopers than you can shake a stick at...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More troopers than you can shake a stick at...
    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 11:00am
We traveled through Georgia last week from Savannah up to Chattanooga.  On I-16 and I-75 I bet we saw over 20 law enforcement vehicles!  State troopers, local sheriffs, and what appeared to be Secretary of State DOT inspection vehicles.  You guys in Georgia can rest easy knowing that your roads are adequately patrolled.
I had the cruise set at 78 mph and they never bothered me.

Edited by Brian F(IL) - 30 Jun 2021 at 12:41pm
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 12:29pm
You should've stopped in Calhoun off 75. I would've bought you lunch. We're about 15 miles east of there. The cops on the interstate mostly look for 85 mph plus. I75 usually isn't as bad as I85. You get the Gwinnett county fools on that side and you better be damn careful or they'll run you over.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 1:48pm
Tyler, thanks for the invite but as usual we were in a hurry.  Sometime we're going to have to make time for some side trips and visiting.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 1:53pm
Yep, eight you skate  Wink
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 3:52pm
Brian, those are DOT enforcement (Motor vehicle compliance division)
they watch after the commercial vehicles in GA. Over weight, unsafe truck, not secured
load and they will make it the longest(and most expensive) day of your life.
I've had the pleasure a couple of times when I was working, they, and the GSP are pretty fair to deal with as long as you don't run your mouth
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 10:01pm
Illinois State Trooper told me once; 9 you're fine, 11 your mine.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 10:08pm
I'll tell you one to watch for on I75 south. It's somewhere just south of Atlanta before you get to the airport I believe. There's a Fulton county PD officer that sits in the LEFT emergency lane in a curve. He's there most everytime we go to the gulf side of Florida. You don't see him until you're right on him because of the curve. I don't see how he could get out in traffic to chase anybody. Especially where he sits
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 8:52am
You may out run his motor but not his Motorola 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 9:27am
I would think that stopped in the emerg lane for NON emerg use would be agin the law and super dangerous.....
consider an ambulance using the emerg lane,expecting a CLEAR lane, then oopsy WTF a stopped cop car !!???
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 10:15am
Originally posted by JoeM(GA) JoeM(GA) wrote:

Brian, those are DOT enforcement (Motor vehicle compliance division)
they watch after the commercial vehicles in GA. Over weight, unsafe truck, not secured
load and they will make it the longest(and most expensive) day of your life.
I've had the pleasure a couple of times when I was working, they, and the GSP are pretty fair to deal with as long as you don't run your mouth

Yes, Joe, those DOT vehicles had large trucks stopped (mostly semi-trailers, but I did see one straight truck).
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

I would think that stopped in the emerg lane for NON emerg use would be agin the law and super dangerous.....
consider an ambulance using the emerg lane,expecting a CLEAR lane, then oopsy WTF a stopped cop car !!???

I agree Jay. Especially where they sit. I don't understand how they haven't gotten somebody killed yet. You can't see them until you're on them. We do have some not so bright cops here to though. Yesterday me and Danielle were coming up I575 and there's a spot where an express lane runs out and the interstate narrows back to 2 lanes from 3. We were passed on one side by a car of some sort and the other side by a Sandy Springs cop. They were apparently racing because there were no lights on and we're a LONG way from the city of Sandy Springs. Then as soon as they got past us and another car they slowed down and rode with the traffic. Now it could've been a coincidence that a city PO had a call to go some 30 miles outside of his jurisdiction and just happened that the call was cancelled as they got to us but it sure didn't seem that way
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 1:32pm
They,re talking about all the MSHP gonna be out this weekend in big force, you never see them on the race tracks like I 70 and I-44- if you do seems they turn their heads and let it go - honestly , here in Missouri, they seem to be out numbered and I think some know that

Edited by DougG - 01 Jul 2021 at 1:32pm
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 2:11pm
     I know I'm getting old etc. but 80 mph is traveling a little over 117 ft. per second. Think how far you would travel before you could react to something even if you are paying attention. My old fashioned father always asked why vehicles are made to  go way faster than the speed limit. 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 3:12pm
re: My old fashioned father always asked why vehicles are made to  go way faster than the speed limit. 

why ? Cause they sell faster than 'snailmobiles'.......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 7:16pm
Thanks for the heads-up Brian. My family we be driving through Georgia on the way down to Orlando early Saturday morning. Were the "majority" of the troopers stopped behind vehicles with the blue lights flashing, or just sitting in the medians ?

Edited by FREEDGUY - 01 Jul 2021 at 7:16pm
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 9:56pm
Just talking with a friend today, they went down to Florida this spring with their 5th wheel camper and they went thru Atlanta in the evening. He said 6 cars past them going he estimated a 100 mph because they were passing all other traffic like it was standing still. When they parked the camper for the night a little farther down the rode they asked a lady there about it and she said since the defunding they have had speeders like that on the interstate.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 10:04pm
They race on I285. Parts of 285 are 4 and 5 lanes wide around the 75 and 85 merges. They line up across the lanes and get slowed down to the same speed (usually somewhere in the 30mph to 40mph range) then somebody blows the horn and they take off and race until the lanes exit off. Sometimes they have 2 rows 5 lanes wide. It's an idiotic thing to do but with so many of them and so much other traffic there's no way they could all get caught. Lots of exits to jump off of to if need be. Don't know how traffic is in other big cities but Atlanta is something else

Edited by thendrix - 02 Jul 2021 at 12:27pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 8:41am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up Brian. My family we be driving through Georgia on the way down to Orlando early Saturday morning. Were the "majority" of the troopers stopped behind vehicles with the blue lights flashing, or just sitting in the medians ?

I'd guess about a 1/3 of them had vehicles stopped with their lights flashing.  The other 2/3 were either sitting in the median or right-hand shoulder.  Saw one sitting on top of an overpass with two chase vehicles waiting on the side.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 9:01am
Picked up a D 15 final drive around Atlanta a few months back . Got in some crazy fools on 285 . Told my wife I bet the only time police are out there is when there's a wreck .
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 3:03pm
Sure glad we go down I 77 and acoss I 16 & I 95 it's not usally that bad down that way, you just don't want head north right after the holiday cause when you get to where the 3 lane ends there is allways a traffic jam. We usally wait a couple days berore we head home.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 12:32pm
What's the speed limit there?  Up here the interstate speed is 70.  They'll allow 76 but 77, you're done!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 1:44pm
75 and 85 differ between 65 and 70 outside of Fulton county. Inside Fulton county I believe 75, 85, 20, and 285 all have digital speed limit signs and the speed limit differs depending on the time of day. During rush hour I think it's 55mph on all interstates and 65mph the rest of the time. Fulton county is where Atlanta is
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 9:29pm
You can usually find a rolled Krispy Creme truck nearby.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 9:42pm
They wuz thick here last weekend. 215 miles one way to the lake where we set up for the flea MKT. Saw 3 or 4 of them on the high ways coming home. Those wern't major state highways. Set the cruze on 57 and they don't seem to bother.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic