This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing machine shed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing machine shed
    Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 5:02pm
Years ago dad put up a 40x40 machine shed, open on the south. They nailed it together. Its still in good shape, no leaks. Its the only building left on the farm. House burnt, tornado took everything else. We want to get rid of the shed. Thinking about advertising it. Any idea what its worth? Post frame building. If it was screwed together, I'd take it down and put it up here. Located in South central Iowa.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 25 Jun 2021 at 5:04pm
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 5:07pm
up here , Mennonites(sp?) , will buy and remove, usually in a day......
considering the obscene price of wood today, take pictures,do the 'math' and figure what you have... say it'd cost $20K to replace... get at least $3000 for it.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
TDF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 5:22pm
I've taken down 5 or so barns farm sheds etc. Only one I paid anything for was a 40x92 all steel quonset. Had to give 3500 to get it at a farm sale. Have done two pole sheds that were currogated tin clad. Had to build special tools to allow me to pull nails without destroying the tin. There's an awful lot of labor that goes into taking them down. And even more if there is desire to put it back up. Easier if you're just going after the materials. My take after doing a few is just do it for the materials. There was enough rot in the trusses due to moisture getting in around nails (even with lead or rubber washers) to scare me away from reusing the trusses. There is value in the tin and salvageable wood but have to keep in kind the amount of labor it will take to get it. Now I was doing this before COVID and the lumber shortage so Jaybmiller's thoughts on price might not be all that far off. Start there and see if you get any interest.

TDF
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 11:19am
A sawzall is your friend.  Once you get the swing of it you can just zip them off.  Take them home and screw them back together.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by TDF TDF wrote:

I've taken down 5 or so barns farm sheds etc. Only one I paid anything for was a 40x92 all steel quonset. Had to give 3500 to get it at a farm sale. Have done two pole sheds that were currogated tin clad. Had to build special tools to allow me to pull nails without destroying the tin. There's an awful lot of labor that goes into taking them down. And even more if there is desire to put it back up. Easier if you're just going after the materials. My take after doing a few is just do it for the materials. There was enough rot in the trusses due to moisture getting in around nails (even with lead or rubber washers) to scare me away from reusing the trusses. There is value in the tin and salvageable wood but have to keep in kind the amount of labor it will take to get it. Now I was doing this before COVID and the lumber shortage so Jaybmiller's thoughts on price might not be all that far off. Start there and see if you get any interest.

TDF

Please expand on the "rot in the trusses" Confused . ALL of the pole barns I've been involved with had purlins on top of the trusses that the steel roofing was fastened to WinkWink
TDF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 8:01am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Please expand on the "rot in the trusses" Confused . ALL of the pole barns I've been involved with had purlins on top of the trusses that the steel roofing was fastened to WinkWink

The two I took down had Purlins also.  The big one, 32x64 was built likely in the late 50's or early 60's.  This was the one I was hoping to take down and reassemble.  They used 2x4 purlins.  It had the lead washers on the nails, and on the south side of the shed roof, somewhere along the way they'd pulled them all, and replaced with screws with steel/rubber washers.  On both sides of the roof though the moisture over time had tracked in past the lead or rubber washers and followed the nail down into the purlin.  So there was a lot of rot there, and it then must have tracked to the truss, as there was rot in many places along the top of the trusses.  I took the trusses down whole using a back hoe with a homemade extension on it.  But when I saw that rot, I really should have just immediately given up on salvaging them whole, and just cut them apart with the sawzall.  That shed was out in the open and open on the south side, so maybe the wind working on it over 60 years had worked the nails loose or something.  
The second shed was 20x40, and had 1 by 4's as purlins.  This shed was closed up on all 4 sides and tucked into the trees.  I didn't have use for 20' trusses so just dissasembled it for the materials from the get go.  I do recall that one didn't have as much rot in the top of the trusses as the other, but I also suspect it was a younger shed.  Likely built late 60's or 70's.  This is my experience based on 2 buildings, so take it all with a grain of salt, but if I take another one down I'm gonna look real hard at the trusses for any rot before I decide if I'm going after the materials or if I'm thinking I can reassemble.

TDF

Edited by TDF - 27 Jun 2021 at 8:47am
TDF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 8:42am
Just went back and looked at my photo album from when I took down the 32x64 shed.  I forgot that it not only had 2x4 purlins, but they also filled in the area between the purlins along the top of the truss or rafter with a short 2x2.  I think they did this so they could just line up the edge of the tin with the trusses or rafters and then they'd always have something to nail down into with out having to always line up with a purlin.  Maybe this helped lead to the rot in the trusses and rafters on that building.  As it made a nice area for any moisture to get trapped between the two wood layers.  

TDF

Edited by TDF - 27 Jun 2021 at 8:48am
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 12:15pm
[QUOTE=TDF] but they also filled in the area between the purlins along the top of the truss or rafter with a short 2x2. Maybe this helped lead to the rot in the trusses and rafters on that building.  As it made a nice area for any moisture to get trapped between the two wood layers.  

Exactly. And, NO AIR movement allowed over top of rafter board. ‘Tis a shame too, because that was a good straight shed structure. Thanks for sharing photos.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 4:16pm
i have never seen 2 x 2 added to the rafters between the perlons... Looks like a lot of time and money for nothing ?  Wonder what the point was ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 4:20pm
TDF... is that a 'halftrack' hiding in the shed ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
TDF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

TDF... is that a 'halftrack' hiding in the shed ??

Yeah.  This was a property I used to rent, and the landlord was letting us store some stuff in that shed.  His son decide to clean up the property and change the lay of the land in there so he could build a new home and some large machine sheds.  So I got to take the 2 pole sheds.

That's Dad's M2 White.  About 1942 vintage.  I just hadn't gotten around to hauling it out of there yet.  And later on when the frost was coming out of the ground it came in pretty handy dragging the F350 2wd bucket truck around as it's a helpless pig in those conditions.

Pretty rough costumer had a lot of parts chopped off it over the years and we rescued it from a treeline of a guy who'd rescued it from a scrap yard.  Has real good tracks though.  We've since got it running and driving.  It's a real hoot.  This photo is right before I painted a star on the hood and put some U.S. ARMY decals on the sides.  

TDF

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 9:19pm
I have to go down and spray the poison Hemlock that has moved in just south of this shed. We've got a local Exchange free shopper that goes all over the northern 1/3rd of Missouri and southern 1/2 of Iowa. I think I'll advertise it in there. We have large Amish and Mennonite communities in the area that build things like machine sheds, churches, barns, and put steel on your roof. They actually have their own flat steel roofing business where they roll out the sheets of steel, paint them, etc.   Totally Cool tracked unit. Thanks Guys.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 27 Jun 2021 at 9:20pm
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 3:27pm
When I was in the Army in Germany in 1969 we had a couple half tracks at the training area ski slope.  The gas tank was bad on one of them so we put a 5 gallon jerry can on the top of the windshield frame with a hose running to the carb or carbs, seems like it had two, don't remember for sure.  They were both Whites.  The other we took the drive sprocket off and got the welding shop to make a 20" wheel to attach in place.  We used it to power a rope tow ski lift which really helped speed up the process of getting troops to the top of the hill, and on weekends, the sweet young things from around the area up there too.  The MP's didn't like us driving the half track around the post but we didn't have a truck to haul supplies.  I think the Post commander finally told the MP's to leave us alone because we were doing something useful.  I think the MP's didn't like it because it was fun to drive and unique.

TDF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by JohnColo JohnColo wrote:

The gas tank was bad on one of them so we put a 5 gallon jerry can on the top of the windshield frame with a hose running to the carb

Look close at the window frame on ours and you'll see the one gallon tank from a mower we clamped onto the windsheild that feeds down to the carb. Results in a need for frequent fill ups but works. The original was long gone. The replacement that sat in the passenger seat was rusted through.

TDF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic