This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The "New" Movement To Cordless ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:17pm
That would have been his attempt to poke us folks that live in Missouri,, key word there is attempt
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by TomC TomC wrote:

That would have been his attempt to poke us folks that live in Missouri,, key word there is attempt

Either that or he's on a 3 stooges kick, again, and don't know how to spell Moe!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 12:57am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Are you willing to bet the health of your grandchildren on your "facts" ?
These L/I batteries in the portable tools are an accident waiting to happen underground IMOEmbarrassed

But Lithium/Ion batteries in a car are better? 
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 2:29am
" At least a 300 pound electric vehicle battery "possibly" has more than an $18 core for a standard..."
  Just exactly what vehicle are you talking about? When you change, your suppose to change them all...  And a GM EV1's NiMH battery pack weighs 1150lb,  
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 3:44am
I was looking at an auction for a 2011 Nissan Leaf.  These battery powered cars are typically going for about $5,000 at auction.

Batteries are only supposed to be good for 10 years, so I searched the replacement cost and found the new battery would run about $8,500.

With taxes and fees this car could end up costing the buyer $15,000, for a 10 year old car.  The range on these cars is 50 miles between charges.

Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 3:59am
The Nissan and Honda battery exchange program is a tell all, the old batteries are shipped back to Japan and who knows from there.  I also stand behind the comment as to in MISSOURI 99% of all trash collected is ran thru a separation/transfer station then trash sent to landfills and recyclable items sent to appropriate materials users.  SD may be behind in that process but I do not live there.

Currently with US Lead Acid Batteries they are shipped from all across the US to the old lead belt mining area of MO, there they are disassembled and the lead recycled, the acid neutralized or repackaged for industrial use as a cleaning agent and the cases placed in trash landfills after washed.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 5:29am
FG is right about the 'little batteries' going to kill us off, a little at a time. No one notices or does anything ,until too late.....
There SHOULD be a 'bounty' on them. Say 10 cents a battery, same as beer bottles. Nobody I know saves the dead ones in a recycle bucket, then take to the 'transfer' station. Same goes for most 'recyclables' up here 'they' demand we source separate, the THEY haul-all to landfill.....
My well water's high in nitrates as too,maybe all the corn being fertilized up stream of me ??
re: battery recycle. There's a plant in Toronto(22m from me...) where they toss car batteries into a 'crusher'(was on TV reality show..),once mangled, they separate the acid, plastic  and lead......

Edited by jaybmiller - 17 Jun 2021 at 5:32am
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 7:07am

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

On a serious note, I just witnessed a Makita commercial for a cordless lawn mower- it takes FOUR batteries at $120/battery Geek.  This trend towards "cordless tools" is out of control IMO Ouch.

Where’s your “forward thinking”? You seem to think we’ll be just fine with cordless vehicles. A screw gun is ok, but a lawn mower isn’t, but a vehicle is….🤔
D%(* it guys, you really can't see the point of my OP OuchOuch !!!!! It's the "tool" batteries that WILL be the death of pure ground water for drinking/cooking/bathing Confused. THESE little batteries offer NO core charge (to my knowledge) so if no recycler is available, THEY ARE GOING INTO THE LAND FILLAngryAngry !!! At least a 300 pound electric vehicle battery "possibly" has more than an $18 core for a standard 12 volt starting battery so "in theory", less damage to the environment ??
Where did I say a "screwgun" is OK ??  I made mention of how convenient they are, but NOT OK WinkWink. Your sounding WAY too much like the MO guys dude CryCry !!
Convenient, but not OK.  Got it.  Excellent point.LOL
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 7:12am
Freedguy, look into the mining of of the materials for these batteries.  The conditions.  The workforce.  What countries are getting the money.  If you do all that, and then think the massive scale of electric vehicle production you're dreaming of is OK, well then you and I are just very different people.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by JTOOL JTOOL wrote:

@FREEDGUY; "MO guys"? WTF?
There are multiples from there that heavily mock on multiple forums on "here" WinkWink . Your lack of a location tells me that your "there" Ouch ??
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 7:16pm
@FREEDGUY; Yep. West Central Missouri. 10 miles from the Kansas line and a million miles from everywhere else. LOL.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 7:46pm
Thank you JTOOL for the info Wink
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 8:00pm
Jtool, you anywhere near Hume?
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 7:35pm
@FREEDGUY; You're welcome. BTW, (if you care) I was just kidding around with the "WTF" comment. I am proud to be a life long Missourian. Fun fact: Both Josey Wales AND William Munny were from this great state. HAHA!
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 7:40pm
@TomC; I suppose that depends on what you mean by "near". I am about 30 miles north of Hume around Adrian. The only time I have been to Hume was about 10 years ago when my son had a Little League baseball tournament there.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 7:45pm
Jtool, I'm originally from Spruce, my Father was from Hume, him & my grandfather owned the hatchery on the NW corner of the square.
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 8:20pm
@TomC; Man that's cool. Just so I'm clear, Spruce the little hamlet east of Butler on county road H? If so, was there a school there? Or did you go to school in Montrose or Butler? (I hope that doesn't come across as smart@ssed; I'm genuinely curious). Also, please forgive me but I am not at all familiar with Hume's layout or history but if your ancestor's had a thriving business there I would love to be informed about it. Also, what took you away from God's Country (western MO LOL!) to the "EVIL" side of the state (St. Louis area LOL!)?
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 8:52pm
Jtool, we have history there going back to the 1840s or so, yes spruce is east of Butler,my mom's parents had a farm just north of Spruce, I went to school in Butler until my Dad got a job with Armor Fertilizer,then we bounced all around from Texas to Minnesota but I always went home. I got involved in trucking ,meet my future bride in Fenton, We live right in between Hillsboro,Festus & Desoto so we're pretty much away from the BS. My grandma taught school in Butler from 1940 something until the early 70s,Della Murphy if that rings any bells. Mom & Dad were living on the farm,Dad passed ,Mom sold the place & went to live with my sister. but yes Sir right there are where my roots are.
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 6:54am
@TomC; Thanks for the reply. Wow the 1840s. Those ARE some roots. Your grandma would have been a little before my time as I was born in 1972. I spent the first year of my life in Adrian (so I'm told) then we moved to an apartment off of Gladstone Blvd. in old Northeast KC (dad worked at GM Fairfax) then after my 2 younger sisters were born moved to a townhouse complex off of 42nd and Pittman in KC in 77. After dad had open heart surgery in 80, he retired in 81 and for some unfathomable reason we moved to El Dorado Springs MO and lived there until 85 when mom and dad bought a place just west of Adrian and I have been here ever since (except for 2 years beating my head against the wall in college at Rolla and my wife and I living in Columbia the first year of our marriage as she finished up getting her nursing degree from MU then moved back to Adrian in 96). Apparently I like it here.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 7:02am
JTOOL, see you at the show next weekend? I’ll be there today making final preparations.
Maximum use of available resources!
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 7:08am
@JW in MO; I don't know if I'll show up there or not. As I understand it, the Optimists are having their 4th of July celebration at the city park that weekend as well. That will be A LOT of people crammed into that small space and I don't know if I want to deal with that. We'll see.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 7:16am
Jtool, yup I have a couple years on you,I bought my first freightliner in 1974, I was an owner operator until April 2020, we're both retired now. I have some ground in Reynolds county & between here and there I get to play with my tractors & equipment. My Mom & Dad did in depth research on both sides of our family,, she got it back to the 1730s on my dad's side & the early 1780s on her side,, some real interesting folks I have in my family tree.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Freedguy, look into the mining of of the materials for these batteries.  The conditions.  The workforce.  What countries are getting the money.  If you do all that, and then think the massive scale of electric vehicle production you're dreaming of is OK, well then you and I are just very different people.

Yup.
And Lithium-Ion batteries don't recycle well.

Electric cars are a net-energy LOSER compared with internal combustion engines.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic