This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leveling a trailer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leveling a trailer
    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:20pm
I recently bought a used 33' 14K gooseneck deckover trailer (28' flat and 5' beavertail). We also have a fifth wheel camper with a CURT 24K puck fifth wheel hitch. 

I hated the gooseneck hitch. My truck (Ford F-350) is tall enough that it required me climbing into the truck box every time I hooked or unhooked. 

I had a fifth wheel pin from a stock trailer I had several years ago, so I decided to change the gooseneck hitch to the fifth wheel pin hitch. The fifth wheel arrangement is a little higher than the gooseneck was. I just measured the deck height at the center of the axles, which is 32.5 inches. At the very front of the trailer, the deck height is 34.75 inches for a difference of 2.25 inches. Both of these measurements were with the trailer empty.

I am thinking that loaded (2 or 3 tractors), the back of the truck will drop a couple inches. It doesn't look like the front is too high. Do you think the front being a little high will be a problem?
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 1:26pm
2 1/4 inches over that many feet doesn't seem like a problem, I've seen a lot worse than that going down the road.  But maybe someone knows some exact rules or whatever.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 3:08pm
Put air ride on your truck,I have pretty much had flatbeds, way,way,way easier to work with ,our 5th wheel I put an Anderson conversion on it so I wouldn't have to have the 5th wheel on the bed & in the way,my gooseneck flatbed of course uses the same ball. Mine is a dually but I am going to put air ride on the truck to level it up under a load and it will definitely smooth out the ride
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 4:02pm
don't know.... but the new house next door, foundation was out of square 3" in 25', mathmatically it's 'only one percent, but man, even MY eyes could see a problem ! Former had to remove 6' x 25' of the wall, reform, pour and STILL got it wrong ( 1" in 25'), sigh...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 5:22pm
Ok, Mr perfect, have you ever laid out and formed and poured and the result is verified better than 1 inch in 25 feet? Doesn’t seem too shabby to me.... I doubt I could do it. The layout yes, form....depends...poured and finished? I’d be thrilled with myself. If you have, well bully for you. Still reminds me of when I helped on my sister’s foundation back in the 80’s, how the guy told me engineers/ technical people make terrible builders. Spend so long on perfection that doesn’t matter that you never get anything done.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 5:37pm
To get the weight transfer the trailer will have to be overloaded to the front, not a good choice.  How did you afix the pin insert?  Did you install it as far inside the neck tube as possible?  On my own Gooseneck I had to adjust the hitch when bought as would not ride flat to any degree of sensible.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 7:48pm
re: Ok, Mr perfect, have you ever laid out and formed and poured and the result is verified better than 1 inch in 25 feet?
yes, 3 times, 3+ decades ago. it's not hard to do IF you spend the time..
I've also made 25-28 trailers  and all are within 1/8" of square and true. Again NOT hard to do,
The problem I see, is guys ,with a 'good enough' attitude,no pride in their work,  in a rush to get to the next job.

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

re: Ok, Mr perfect, have you ever laid out and formed and poured and the result is verified better than 1 inch in 25 feet?
I've also made 25-28 trailers  and all are within 1/8" of square and true. Again NOT hard to do,
The problem I see, is guys ,with a 'good enough' attitude,no pride in their work,  in a rush to get to the next job.

How does this have anything to do with my post ?????
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 7:00am

1/8'???!!!  Holy crap, that's a MILE off in my world.  Cutting and fitting steel though quite a different world than forming and pouring concrete.

Forming.....I guess it has a lot to do with what you formed it with.  Steel pinned forms, gives you a decent chance.  Wood forms, you can't by a piece of wood that's straight to that ratio.  So while a corner to corner check dimension could be "perfect" (doubt it), you'll still have error.

When I helped on my sister's, there was an old basement in the ground, too shallow for a house but good and solid, poured walls.  We were going to add 3 course of block on it.  The builder checked it all over with a transit, told me what ever inch and a half here, 1 there type results, which I was 20 years old, didn't mean anything to me, so I asked, is that good?  GOOD?  It's amazing!  Been sitting here open since god knows when and poured 50 years ago.  We'll be lucky to end up that good when we're done.

You said it yourself, making my point, yeah you can do it given enough time, and in some cases, that perfection has no function.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 7:01am
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

How does this have anything to do with my post ?????
Sorry WF, that was my fault. 
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 8:33pm
WF, you want the front higher but not a large amount above "level".
I haul for a living and just turned 150K miles on a new 30' flat deck PJ gooseneck that went on the road early July of last year.
I sometimes return from checking in on a load pickup to find someone has already placed the load on my trailer and 99% of the time it has to be moved for the reasons you mention. I am very specific on what/where weight is placed as it not only affects the handling of the truck (steer axle light for handling) but also having "enough" just forward of center on my trailer axles. Rule of thumb for me is getting enough on rear of truck without overloading truck axle, plus trying to keep both trailer axles in play to do their job. (I also have to scale at weigh stations so watch each axle weight)
Newer gooseneck trailers are now being made with holes for a good size pin through the telescoping hitch sleeve, and the old style jam nuts are still included.
My 4WD Ram "Highboy" sits pretty high on stock rims with TransForce tires and believe me, having oil changes done on the road with an Easy Turn pan valve makes it where I do not even drop my trailer most times as they can slide right under the truck to drop my oil. Good for me as I also hate climbing up into the bed to hitch/unhook.
Factory coil springs lasted about 90 days so I installed a Firestone Air Ride System and have never run over 45# in it as it get's down to how the trailer is loaded as mentioned.
My loads vary, sometimes all of my 30' deck is used and sometimes I will have a 10K load that is only 8' in length so it can get critical when my trips are sometimes 2-3 days long.
Empty, my trailer sits higher in the front by about 2  to 2-1/2" so I estimate the position of the load as above, then adjust the air bags after loading to "level up".
I have hauled tractors, hay, etc. for years with the 21' PJ farm trailer and just used a tape measure at the bottom of the truck bumper before loading and believe me, a tractor being moved forward or backwards on the trailer just 4" can make all the difference in the world.
You will be fine with front of trailer slightly higher, just adjust how far forward the weight is loaded. If filling the trailer, you can always adjust the trailer neck for that heavy load, tape measure will tell the tale. And don't forget the tires . . . . .
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 7:16am
Tim, my pin did have the predrilled holes. I wasn't able to get the pin in the bottom hole, but the measurements were done with it in the second hole. The silver at the bottom of the pin is antiseize.

I think it sits ok loaded. It goes down the road nice.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 7:39am
WF, curious am I...
what are the square headed bolts, and nuts on the  'king post ?) for ??

TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 8:12am
You can adjust the height/ length of the hitch, my Anderson conversion has the same set up.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 10:20am
So is My gooseneck, No cross pin on mine either just the square headed lock bolts.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 12:43pm
Jam bolts so you can tighten everything up. Without the pin though some have slid down. Problem with leveling trailers as has been talked about before, especially on some newer trucks that sit up higher, is when you try to level the trailer you get closer to your tailgate and sides.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic