This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Generic Batteries ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generic Batteries ??
    Posted: 24 May 2021 at 6:47pm
Have any of you guys tried generic batteries for cordless tools ? My application is 18 volt L-Ion batteries in Metabo equipment, but I am pretty sure all of the "big guys" have someone that makes a "knock-off" replacement . Thanks 
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 6:57pm
No I have not. I have given up on cordless tools. Tired of when it’s time to use them the batts are dead, or darn near.
Don’t even want them as gifts, won’t even look at them at estate sales/garage sales.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 7:07pm
I have not, and don’t plan too! Place I worked tried some Dewalt generics years earlier-those caught on fire in the charger. Five years later they tried again-those caught on fire in the charger! Non for me please!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 7:09pm
I'm pretty spoiled on the cordless drills-1/4" impact drivers for cabinet and deck installation, but I draw the line at the recip/circlular saws , they suck the life out of a battery in no time Stern Smile !!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 7:50pm
I have the 19.2 v Craftsman set.... Drill / grinder / impack /recip saw/ circ saw / light / etc... I use the 1/4 inch hex impact almost every day. Drill and circ saw couple times a week... LITH batteries (factory) are about $70 for the BIG ones (5 A)... I have been buying Generic off AMAZON  the past couple times.. I buy TWO batteries every 24 months.. about $60 for the pair.. ( less than 1/2 price) . Keep the last TWO for backup..  Scrap them when they get to about 5-6 years old.. I have had pretty good luck up till last year. One of the new ones crapped out after 6 months.  I opened it up and found one dead cell. Took a cell out of a  4 year old battery and replaced it.... so far so good.  The two from  2018 are doing great. One from 2015 still works for 10 minutes.

Edited by steve(ill) - 24 May 2021 at 7:54pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 8:01pm
Im sure there are a certain percent that are DUDS... I use mine daily so they get a lot of use and charge time.. Not much SETTING... I try to pick a brand that has 1000 sales and 90% say they are "GOOD".... but you still got the 10%..

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 8:08pm
I have bought Ray-O-Vac brand from Batteries Plus for my 18v Dewalt stuff and have been pleased so far. I like the circular saw for small jobs, easier to drag out than the Makita and extension cord. Comes in handy on the farm when I don't have an outlet anywhere close.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 8:22pm
years ago i started with B&D cordless tools, still have/use them alot. local manager of a store gave me all his B&D cordless tools as his store started selling Dewalt tools. recip saw and chain saws are used alot, and the drills even more. use every day. the other day i was at wally world and they had a 18V cordless air compressor (hand held), was HART brand, i thought that would be handy for mower tires and other things that i wouldn't hafta drag out the big compressor and hose for. was on sale for $19.95, but didn't come with a battery or charger, that was extra, so for another $45. i got them. i've used it already on the mower and lawn cart, and a low tire on one of the burbs. has built in digital readout of pressure. sure works good so far but is a noisy sucker! i still have all my corded tools, mostly dewalt and HF. but the cordless is really handy, and i'm sure the batteries will give up on me someday, i'll figger out what to do then. lots of vids on you tube about fixing dead batteries. 
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 9:34pm
I have the Makita 18 volt drill and 1/4" impact, plus oscillator, plus jig saw, plus 1/2" impact.  Got a 36 volt (2-18 volt batteries) 7 1/4" circular saw and put the corded one in the shop permanent!  I do alot of wheelchair ramps and it will work a half day on one set of batteries normally.  Cutting stairs is more like 3 hours, but Im real happy with that set up!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 10:52am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

years ago i started with B&D cordless tools, still have/use them alot. local manager of a store gave me all his B&D cordless tools as his store started selling Dewalt tools. recip saw and chain saws are used alot, and the drills even more. use every day. the other day i was at wally world and they had a 18V cordless air compressor (hand held), was HART brand, i thought that would be handy for mower tires and other things that i wouldn't hafta drag out the big compressor and hose for. was on sale for $19.95, but didn't come with a battery or charger, that was extra, so for another $45. i got them. i've used it already on the mower and lawn cart, and a low tire on one of the burbs. has built in digital readout of pressure. sure works good so far but is a noisy sucker! i still have all my corded tools, mostly dewalt and HF. but the cordless is really handy, and i'm sure the batteries will give up on me someday, i'll figger out what to do then. lots of vids on you tube about fixing dead batteries. 

Wink Just pretend all the "experts" doing the how to vids on you tube know what they are doing. LOL So you line them up on da "machine" then use your arc welder to put spark to those dead ones. Wink If things go wrong many people will be happy if the "machine" goes up in flames.LOLLOLLOL But you please stay out of the fire.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 8:49pm
I love NiCad batteries and hate Lithium ion batteries and here's why.

I would start a project using my old trusty Dewalt NiCad drill driver and it would go about an hour before it ran down and needed to be recharged. During the charging I would be sitting in the AC drinking an adult beverage or working on my suntan. It was good for me and it was good for the Dewalt. We were happy.

Along comes my new Milwaukee Lithium ion drill driver so we go on our first date. That crazy _____ just about kills me because after 4 hours I'm almost dead and she is just getting warmed up.

I will not stray again. Me and the Dewalt will be renewing our vows this Saturday.😊
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 9:09pm
STAN !!  NOW THATS FUNNY !!  Wink   Clap
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:23pm
I bought after market lithium ion batteries for my old B&D firestorm . Had to buy a lithium charger also my old ni cad charger is not acceptical . The ad stated you must use lithium charger for this batteries. They are better than when new. Two batteries and a charger cost me about the same as four new aftermarket ni ads and ther so much better.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 12:03am
LOL at Stan! Ray...i'm so glad you have my safety in mind! thanks! all my corded tools are inside the shop, i have access to the electric there, no sense wasting battery life in there. the battery tools are handy when no plug ins are available. i have used both corded and battery tools at same location when putting together large wood projects, then i don't hafta change bits all the time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic