This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Monsoon season is here in full force

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monsoon season is here in full force
    Posted: 20 May 2021 at 8:06pm
It started raining here last Saturday and hasn't stopped.  Got 7" on Saturday and it has rained at least .2" everyday since or more and no let up in sight for another week.  The last 2 days in a row it has been mostly cloudy, misty and then all the sudden a deluge hits and we get .2" in just a few minutes then back to sprinkling.  Got me to thinking about buying another sump pump to have on hand just in case, had to install my back-up about 3-4 years ago and this one is getting a workout.  My dad was a young boy during the dust storm of the 30's but it must have made a big impression on him because anytime I complained about the rain he always said the same thing, "Boy don't ever cuss the rain cause by God you don't know what it's like to be without water."

Edited by JW in MO - 20 May 2021 at 8:07pm
Maximum use of available resources!
Sponsored Links

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 9:07pm
well, sunny, with a few puffy clouds and beautiful here, most of this week! Your dad was a wise man.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 9:16pm
Same as JW. We don’t have much inside work lined up. Short week this week.
One day of dry feet would feel nice.
All the moisture is rough on arthritis.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 9:27pm
We've been dry here for several days and will continue to be according to the news. Supposed to hit the low 90's here Monday and Tuesday. That's pretty high for us this time of year
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 9:31pm
I am building a long wheelchair ramp (56 feet) and it has been dripping all week!  Yesterday I got my third rain delay at 3pm and I just went home!  Was wet, muddy and tired by then, could not handle another wait!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 11:17pm
We've gotten well over 4" of rain so far this month, 3.3" is normal for the month.  Last couple months were wetter then normal too.  Colorado is in a drought but northeast Colo is out of the drought zone, at least for now.  Hay is going great hope it stops raining in June so I can put it up in good shape.
Could be a lot worse, I see parts of east Texas and New Orleans have gotten close to two feet of rain in the last week.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 3:52am
Yesterday hauling clay out of a local pot was the first day it had dried down in quite awhile
Pretty tired of clearing stuck clay from loader bucket and tracks as well cleaning trick bed daily
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 7:07am
Very strange spring here.  It seems over the years, we have 1 of 2 types of spring: hot and dry, or cold and damp.  Well, this year was COLD AND DRY.  Cold that is, until 10 days ago.  We have gone from 28 degrees to 88 degrees in  10 days, likely 90 today and tomorrow.  There is almost no moisture in the ground.  Last fall was sort of dry, winter snowfall seemed more/less OK, but almost nothing for spring rains.  They would forecast rain day after day after day, would cloud up, and nothing but maybe a few drops.  I have a field ready to plant, I should have gotten it done last weekend, but you know life happened a little bit.  It is now like walking on chalk.  Will plant today, and pray for rain SOON!

Exactly a year from 2 days ago, was the 100 year rain and flood that wiped out roads and bridges that in some cases still aren't fixed.  Just once, I'd like an average year.

Edited by Tbone95 - 21 May 2021 at 7:09am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 8:47am
This monsoon is why I was  in a panic to get the beans in the ground. The ground was very dry at the time. Be interesting to see how long before planters roll around here again. Neighbor is not done planting corn yet. Leaving the cyclo on the 1066 awhile just in case he asks for a hand with his beans.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:57am
Mud gets me aggravated to no end, because we have some of the stickiest around. Runs in cycles of wet and dry out here. My growing up years where some of the wetter ones. One of the years that about did my farming in was 60 inch year, spent as much on fertilizer as the crop sold for. So deep down I HATE WET, AND MUD.

But since the late 90's more dry years than wet. But the LORD still provides, have seen a good amount of cattle feed grown with very little rain. But more and more learning the wisdom of JD in MO's dad.  The Lord gives as he pleases and the amount of inches in the record book is not the best measure. This year is 18 inches right at average, one of the worst ever. Got 15 inches of that in 3 days. 

So all of you have my prayers that the Lord takes care of you no matter what side of the weather you are on.

Edited by Ray54 - 21 May 2021 at 11:59am
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 5:49pm
We've had a little over 12 inches since April 1st
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 5:54pm
Yep, it's starting to dull my sweet disposition and cheery demeanor but still no cussing!  It did get to a point of a fine mist today and 3 of my neighbors mowed leaving a muddy trail everywhere they went.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 10:01pm
LOLLOLLOL  Sweet disposition.........

Yep, we have been UNDER normal for temps this spring,,,,,,,,,20 degrees a LOT.  And NO rain until the last 3 days.  Not a lot of rain, less than 2" so far, but it's still coming down drop by drop.  A good soaker which is what we need, but still a LONG way short of normal.  It's close to being 6" short of normal.
Now the temps are getting closer to normal, so we're going from a COLD dry spring to a HOT dry end to May.

Sorry to hear all youse guys that are getting soaked, sure wish we would....Confused
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 8:44am
I'm up to 3 inches for the week. At least 2 of that came over the 1st 24 hours....the rest just a continuous mist...seems like for days on end. Doing it again now. Seattle type rain.

Was supposed to have a couple days of sunshine....was hoping to cut the grass, which is hard to do in standing water. Wonder if I can rig up the mower deck to an air boat and float it around?

Hay could be cut now if it was dry enough, but would take at least a week to dry out enough if it stopped today. And 10 day forecast has rain showing for 8 of those days. Looks like hay is gonna be late this year.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 9:55am
Sprinkling here again, reports show advancing rain this evening and into next week AGAIN.  Need some Dry Time or our hay cutting will be well off time.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 9:28pm
Dumped .4" out of the gauge from overnight but no rain all day and we saw the sun most of the day, first time in 10 days.  The sound of lawnmowers was almost deafening and those that mowed were blowing as much water out the side as grass and left muddy trails all over their yards.  My yard is like walking on a sponge, I'll wait till it dries to mow, besides, that lawn sweeper don't like wet stuff.  My neighbor makes most of his income off hay contracted to a feedlot in NE.  I see it's all headed out, if it doesn't dry out soon he'll loose the first and most lucrative cutting.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 9:54pm
Got another .33" last night, up to 4.75" for the month.  Have mowed most of my lawn three times already, usually mow it three times a summer.  Grass was over a foot tall under my apple trees, where I had not mowed yet this year.  Mower got through it but had to keep cleaning out the deck.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 4:28am
Hey John
Brother and sis in law at Johnstown said that the storms have been tracking N or S of them. They have gotten sprinkles but nothing of measure there over the last few weeks.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 7:39am
Man, 3 or 4 tenths would be a blessing from Heaven at this point.  We'll see if the crops even come out of the ground.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 10:22am
Further east in the N. E. portion of Colorado there are areas that have gotten 10" of rain in the last month, also hail and yesterday 15 tornado's, but fortunately no damage or injuries.  Just the luck of the draw.

JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 10:06am
Still have yet to get 36 hours without rainfall, another 2.8” in the last 2 hours and another storm coming through this afternoon.   
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 2:43pm
Finally getting some today, an all day soaker.  I've got 0.41 so far today and for the month we have 1.38.  The average for May is 3.4, so we're about 2" short so far.

JW, you'll be praying for rain come the end of July.  Put on some swim trunks and enjoy it.  NO pictures please....LOL
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 8:28pm
Griping about weather does me no good but I do it anyway. I am sick of this. The grey skies. The soupy/soggy ground. BLAH. I don't remember grey weather affecting my mood this much when I was younger but it really puts the whammy on me anymore.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 7:51am
Emptied .25 yesterday morning, and .5 this morning.  It is 39 degrees here this morning, so it ain't like a hot wind is going to dry it off right away.  Haven't felt this grateful for such a small amount of rain in a very very long time!  Wow.....should be enough to get things out of the ground and started, and hoping and praying for some more soon.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 9:01am
Originally posted by JTOOL JTOOL wrote:

Griping about weather does me no good but I do it anyway. I am sick of this. The grey skies. The soupy/soggy ground. BLAH. I don't remember grey weather affecting my mood this much when I was younger but it really puts the whammy on me anymore.
I'm right there with you on crappy weather effecting mood! Gets worse with age!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 11:46am
Wink Must be time for the flood to start, all the farm magazines are sending email about how much drought there is and grain prices are going up, UP and away. Ant it fun to watch the price go up and you have no grain to sell because of the dang ol weather be it your flooded or dusty.LOL

As much as it makes no sense to most of you Confused worst pasture growing season  I have ever seen. But please keep the rain away to not ruin what little we have until fall. Which is the normal weather pattern for here. Think rained on hay that looses most all it's feed value, if we get rain in summer. Had 3 to 4 inches in one night in July a few years ago, did not grow one bit of anything. Well maybe the summer thistles and garbage got some help Confused if you can call that help.

Been down the depressed from no sun shine road. I pray thing get better for you Jtool.
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 7:23pm
@IBWDMike, Ray54; Thanks guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic