This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dusty, Rhubarb growing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dusty, Rhubarb growing
    Posted: 17 May 2021 at 7:48am
Dusty, do you have a secret for raising lots of large stalk rhubarb.

Mine is always puny and a low producer.  Thanks
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:30am
split you rhubarb into several. the root stock gets bound . split the root and spread into several all will produce larger better stalks.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

split you rhubarb into several. the root stock gets bound . split the root and spread into several all will produce larger better stalks.

Well I did some big time splitting on the red stem this spring.  We'll see
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:56am
When my Dad split the rhubarb he always dug a hole twice as deep as needed - filled hole with cow manure , then layer of soil , then root stock , each split would be harvested the next year so only 1/2 was left to produce for that year .   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 11:20am
Fresh cow manure was what folks used under the rhubarb.   And it was a half or more of a wheelbarrow full that went in the hole. The rhubarb produced for nearly 40 years from that and then dwindled down. 
 I dug the stuff up a few years back and split the roots and transplanted using fresh manure for some of them, rotted manure for some, hay pile/manure rotted down for a few and the last ones I had 5 gal. buckets of veggie refuse tossed into the bottom of the holes.
  And the size and quality of the rhubarb goes with the list above, the puniest being the ones supplied by buckets of veggie refuse.
  Some say horse manure was best for this application.

Dad talked about making hot beds for starting plants in outdoors, and that consisted of laying down about 6-8 inches of horse manure in a wood frame, then laying down about 3 inches of dirt, soak with warm water, plant your seeds and place old windows over the top to stop the cold winds. When going to do chores or coming back from morning and night, adjust for air flow of the day or cover or uncover them with a blanket(s) depending on how cold...  and the horse manure provided the heat from beneath as it decomposed.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 11:22am
It takes several years for rhubarb to get really going, at least here in my country, I harvest no more then 10% of the stalks per week to keep the plant strong.  I suspect if I had a acre of it, the return would be better then the illegal variety of hemp.
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 12:20pm
My mother is still harvesting rhubarb from plants that were on the property when they
bought it in 1951.   They've been split and moved many times over the years and still
going, 70 years later.......and nobody knows how old they were in 1951
If ignorance is bliss, than happy days are here again.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 3:12pm
I dug our rhubarb up when we mover 12 years ago didn't have any manure to put down and it produces all the rhubab we need, I just throw a little fertlizer on it
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 2:14pm
I use horse manure, mostly composted down and triple 10 or 12 on the side.
Started some from seed last summer, transplanted them to the row when they had good growth and all of them came up this year. I didnt harvest any stalks from them----dont need to since the big guys are making plenty. I have 3 bunches that have got to be split next spring too.

The seedling row

http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 10:47am
I was just reading an article about the need to pick the stalks the proper way or the plant won't produce.  You never cut off the stalks.   You reach down to the bottom of the stalk and give it a quick tug.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 8:54am
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

I was just reading an article about the need to pick the stalks the proper way or the plant won't produce.  You never cut off the stalks.   You reach down to the bottom of the stalk and give it a quick tug.
Never heard that until this spring, my mother told me the same thing a week or two ago. I've been cutting it for a long time. Never seemed to hurt it one bit. Having said that, probably try pulling it this year.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 10:30am
I knew a guy that also claimed it needed to be cut.
I've pulling it for 50 years. Sometimes the stalk will break instead of pulling from the base. Does not seem to matter.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic