This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rv show, and my thoughts.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rv show, and my thoughts.
    Posted: 16 May 2021 at 5:25pm
Some what of a long story, sorry!  The wife and I went to the RV show this morning in Pittsburgh, to just get out spend some time, and go for lunch out. 
So it took about 2 hours for us see what we wanted to see. For the show, it was a waste of our time!  They had maybe a few hundred RVs to look at.   Now our issue.   There was about 5 smaller trailers, 17' to 19' long, about 25 of them off road, rough terrain type, with the $20k price tag.   Then you jumped to a few hundred of the 24' to 30' trailers with granite, bump outs, bells and whistles, s bath rooms, and a price tag nearing $40k or more.  Then came the 50 or so Motorhomes, price tag in the $55K to $85K.  Then the bus/coaches with the tag in the $140K and up!   So to buy just about anything they had at the show today, you needed to spend at the minimum about $40k, then a dually 1 ton to pull it. Price there, $75K + or -?
So for anything shown, you need to spend $100 - $120 $150K for a RV!!!   More than I spent on my house, with property!!   LOL  Sorry just needed to vent!

Thanks Dave

Edited by Dave in PA - 16 May 2021 at 5:28pm
Sponsored Links

TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 5:57pm
Yes sir! Buying any kind of new camper is a money loosing deal,pull it off the lot & you just lost 1/3rd to 1/2 of your investment. Real good used ones are out there, last year sold our older 30 ft Carri lite 5th wheel, we looked all over the Midwest & found one 20 miles from home. A 32 foot Sunnybrook with one super slide & a bedroom slide,5th wheel, real nice clean unit,the couple we bought it from just wanted payoff for it.It is fairly heavy for a 32 footer empty wt of 9,600 lbs. So keep looking, there are some real nice units out there for good prices.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 6:39pm
Like the age old saying goes: if it’s got tits, or tires it’s gonna get expensive.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 6:48pm
My wife wants one. No way am I spending the $$$ to buy something that will sit in the yard most of the time. We had a pop-up at one time, used it maybe 3 times a year.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 7:10pm
WE had a popup, then a 5th wheel 25 years ago. Took the kids everywhere.. Then we got to the point that we were going 3-4 times a year... Decided it was a lot cheaper to take the Car or SUV and stay at a hotel for the  vacations... Normally when we went camping we were not setting around the campground anyway..  Zoo , Museum, visiting friends, etc..  Seems we do less and less of that every year.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 11:15am
Maybe this year but next year for sure, there will be lots full of used of all types.  Or you might find one cheaper on the FB MP or CL.  People bought them for the pandemic and can use regular modes of travel now so the will be getting rid of them. 

I've always said I would buy an RV and pull the car with it.  I went with a friend from MI to Sheridan WY and it was nice having the vehicle to drive around with and the room to go back to. 

My friend also said that the best deal for a retiree is to buy whatever you want, and then when you want to get rid of it, just tell the bank to come get it.

D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Like the age old saying goes: if it’s got tits, or tires it’s gonna get expensive.

Kiwi Truckwit fella on another forum uses that for his Signature!!  

"Teats Tyres or Tracks, all cost money"
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 5:35pm
As to the RV pricing, I fully intend to drag a Fifth Wheel or maybe a bumper pull with the KW,  Will be a Toy Hauler with a Garage in back and a ramp rear door.  Found several in both categories less than 8 years old for less than 1/2 a new unit, all sold quickly where the pricing then escalates on next seller products.

Will have less in the KW than a new'ER' Ton Dually, cannot do New, prices make my stomach roll.  Be a Heavier, harder working machine overall and a good trade to another USED class 7 or 8 single axle truck if downsize some. 
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:19pm
when i bought our first motorhome, (36 ft Georgieboy) our tax man said we could claim it as a second home...which we did. we now have a fifth wheel and can/did also claim as a second residence. have pulled it with my 3/4 ton, but decided it would be alot wiser/safer to get a dually, so i boughts one and i haven't got the hitch switched over yet, hopefully this summer i'll get that done. we use our campers more when it's cooler/cold out. kinda like having a boat...you gotta take the time out to enjoy it. one of the stockholders just bought a motorhome...bouts $700,000. yep...count them zeros!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:47pm
Were gonna have ta sell the class A Winnebago. Old gals health won't let her get up the steps into it. Dang, I took it to the mechanic and had the brakes gone thru, new master cylinder. Was hoping to drive it to Hutch this year. Oh well, grandson went back to work, probably won't have anybody to do her chorze anyway.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 6:09am
I got 'stickershock' when I saw what neighbour's new 'rough terrain trailer' cost. YIKES, north of $40,000 Canucks , basically a two person coffin with a tent on top. Wife's parents had 3 smaller 'winnebago'..buy,use,sell,repeat. I always tented,though pop did make a tent trailer in 63. Never understood the 'tow a whole house behind you' idea,but, heck different strokes for different folks....just figured it's be cheaper.easier to fly or drive then hotel.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 6:41am
Folks,
Reminds me I need to get our RV inspected and ready for summer. Mostly it sets in the yard and I use it for a beer fridge, place to take a nap in the air conditioning, and enjoy the breeze under the canopy. Total investment in a old antique 5th wheel $2000 ish.
Have taken it on some short trips. Glad I don't have another big house to take care of or a big RV bill right now. But if you like this life then go for it! We are only here a short while! Enjoy! There sure are some VERY nice RV's out there. And like any thing you pay for it!

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 8:45pm
Back about 30 years ago when the girls were small I wanted a pop up camper. Wife looked at the price then looked at me and said you can sleep in some pretty nice comfortable hotels for that considering we would only use it 2-3 times a year. I married a smart one. I didn't get the pop up or ever looked at them after that.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 5:51am
In the 2nd picture....
OK, what campsite supplies a HUGE friggin propane tank for your camping pleasure ?Wink

sure looks peaceful there.....

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 9:10am
I'm on my third bumper pull. in 1988 we tent camped our way around lake superior it rained every day for 2 weeks. we got back and bought a camper. I have a bumper pull wife wanted a 5th wheel but suburban wont pull one.  I got couldn't stand a truck with2 kids and 2 huskys. lots of room in a suburban.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 10:23am
We are on our 3rd class C motor home. 
I can tow a tractor to a show, and we take it and our car to Florida. Plus any where else we want.

917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 10:19pm
Bought one again after about 30 years.  The kids grew up and we were working so,,,,,,,,  Now we're retired and I wanted something to enjoy Hutch better.  Yeah I bought a different truck too, but I'm happy.  Now if I could only win the lottery.  Do you still have to buy a ticket to win? LOL
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 12:56am
i been looking for a trailer just like Chris's, for going to tractor shows and such. no luck so far. then trying to fing a fish house, thems WAY to spensive. Tom they make hyd lifts for the campers, replaces the steps. shucks i haven't gots my flatbed for my new truck yets.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 12:58am
Dave...google/bing "bus motorhomes" and pick out a few sites, there's some of them costing a tad over $2.5 million
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic