This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ya'll want grits?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ya'll want grits?
    Posted: 14 May 2021 at 3:01am
around here we gots a few Cracker Barrel Resturants, and when we go i like to order sum grits, went to one in C.Bluffs IA and had sum great grits, went to one in Omaha NE and sum aweful grits! i've tried to make it here at home and they just don't come out right. ya'll gots a recipe for them? i don't like them all the time but do enjoy them (if done right) once and awhile. 
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 7:01am
I'll have to check with my bride. She makes some good grits. She cooks hers with cream cheese.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 7:12am
Outside of the "South", finding good grits to buy in the store (mostly Quaker) or in a restaurant is iffy. My line of demarcation of when you have crossed over to the "South" is when grits or mush start showing up on the menu in place of, or as an option to, hash browns.

Last time I was in Norfolk, stocked up and at a Piggly Wiggly, there were no less than 5 choices for grits. Some better than others.

Then there are the coarse grits from Boonville mill. They are in a class all to their own. Ain't no instant grits there.........more like an hour or more.

Armand(AZ) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Armand(AZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:17am
Shameless, two reasons I went to work everyday for 40+ years --- to never have to eat grits or peanut butter!!!   LOL

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:17am
When I was in the Navy - there were GRITS on the chow line every morning 
   Use to freak out them Southern guys  when you had them in a bowl - then put milk and sugar on them and eat them like one would corn meal mush or other such hot cereals. 
  But then it would also be next to a fight when you put eggs on top of your pancakes and poured syrup over both .
  I use to like fried corn meal mush (2nd day mush) with syrup over it . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:21am
Love me some grits . Dunno how to fix them but my good wife sure does . Learned a long time ago not to order them at a restaurant , even around here .
AcFordHawk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcFordHawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:26am
One of the items I enjoy at Waffle House - unfortunately no locations in Iowa.  Ordered them all the time when on the local economy during various schools at Ft. Rucker, AL. 
IB (restoring), MF GC1705, MF 2705E
ihc pickups View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihc pickups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 10:22am
I love Waffle House breakfast. Something about the grease I guess. In Eastern KS 110 miles West of KC there are none. In my former job I traveled quite often to OK and TX. always stopped at them. I am not a grit fan but the wife loves them.
Mike
Joe(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:08am
Where I'm from grits are made of meat.  I've only tried the southern kind once...
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:15am
I wisht there was a "Like" button I could click on Armand's post!!!
Maximum use of available resources!
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 12:34pm
     I just cook plain old white grits in some water. It may not be the southern way to eat them but maple syrup makes them taste pretty good. Mostly in the winter once in a while.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 2:57pm
not eat grits or peanut butter? whooooweee, there is just something wrong with that!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

I wisht there was a "Like" button I could click on Armand's post!!!

I used the Thank You button to thanks him  

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 3:10pm
I've never had Grits, and I cand not stand Peanut Butter.
Each his own.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 6:26pm
Nothing like eggs, over easy, on top of hash browns(the shredded style, not cubed) then bust the yolk and chopped all together, collard greens, sow belly, and grits with melted butter and ground black pepper.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and thatโ€™s where I found the science.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:19pm
I mix scrambled eggs in my grits and of course cheese . Good stuff !
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Nothing like eggs, over easy, on top of hash browns(the shredded style, not cubed) then bust the yolk and chopped all together, collard greens, sow belly, and grits with melted butter and ground black pepper.

With eggs sunny side up and a little runny, and some cheese and garlic in those grits, that would be a candidate for me when the Warden asks what I want for my last meal.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 9:44pm
I'd get grit at shoneys when down south. A little butter couple eggs and some hot sauce they were fine the southern guys I was with said I ruined them.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 8:21am
Soak over night then slow cook in water. As they start to finish add in some heavy cream and a little shredded cheese. Add butter and serve.
I think Iโ€™m gonna go to the Ozark cafe this morning. Yโ€™all are killin me. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 6:41pm
The BEST grits I've ever had was prepared by the wife of the dairy farmer that I helped on weekends . They were AWESOME WinkWink !! BTW, NO meat was involved LOL
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 6:42pm
I was going to comment on Coke having an odd taste in things then read more comments, now I think a lot of you have strange testes in things! LOL

True story, 60+ years ago my aunt and uncle went to get some parts 100 miles from home in Ohio.  Stopped at a little restaurant with high sides on the booths and sat in the first one.  Waitress came by with menus and went to the next booth to ask if the people wanted desert.  They must have ordered but then the waitress said "You want ketchup on your blueberry pie????"  My uncle got up and  went to the other booth and said "Charlie, I haven't seen you since we got out of the service!"  He just knew that there could only be one guy in the world who would have ketchup on pie.  It also could be that he knew the guy was from that town.  Heard the story a long time ago.
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 8:00am
Where is Joe Murphy when you need him?
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 8:43am
Hey Dave!, just setting here reading this with a smile!
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 1:53pm
I knew nothing about grits other than the name until I saw grits on a breakfast menu when we were vacationing in Florida a couple of decades ago. Out of curiosity I ordered them. I was not impressed but it satisfied my curiosity but not my appetite. I was surprised to see them offered at a McDonald's in Washington state but had no interest in ever trying them again.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 8:04am
Finally got to ask my bride how she fixes grits. Jim Dandy 5-minute grits according to directions and I add some cream cheehse and butter to taste. The cream cheese helps the texture. I like to add shredded cheese to mine.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 8:47am
That eggs on top of pancakes came from when i was in the Navy and one morning stopped in a little restaurant out near Brooklyn Navy Yard  - seen the pancakes and eggs on the menu - ordered - when they came were all on the dame plate - eggs on top - said I wanted them on a separate plate - Cook looked at me and said - should of ordered them someplace else then as that is how he served them - he had to wash dishes also and didn't dirty 2 plates . Found out not as bad as I thought and after that ate them that way often 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 4:00pm
Grits for brekki with a spoon of honey... MMMMMM  OR, grits/honey with shrimp any time of day.... heavin!!
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic