This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Planted Corn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Planted Corn
    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 4:51pm
I've driven past thousands of acres of corn that got put into the ground 2 weeks ago "here". As of this morning, NONE of it is "spiking"Ouch . How long can a seed stay viable in the ground ?
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 6:21pm
Has it been cold, and wet in your area?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 6:23pm
If it is something you don't care about 10,000 years. Modern corn seed that how many hundred dollars a acre not to long.

In Jan of 2018 I planted mixed forage( floor sweeping?Winkoats, barley, wheat  It is what the horsey set thinks they like the best and pay the most for. My cows don't care, so if I have extra I want the stuff that is most high priced.) late in Jan. No rain on it until late March. I had the crop insurance guy look at it the day it started raining. It finally came up, wild turkey's and ground squirrels had dug and ate at lot in spots. But way more crop than a crop insurance payment.

If the seed is dry it doesn't try to germinate it will last months. The 10 inch average rainfall area here summer fallow. Then in fall at what is the start of the growing season here plant into dry ground. Seed is good until we get rain in most cases. If they only get a 1/4 to 1/2 inch it can try to grow and die. Or temputure is just right can rot in the ground but very rare thing. Most of those big time gambling farmers today are watching the CRP money they have in the stock market. Took about a year for them to find out that $50 was the top price the government would pay in 1985. Then they had to settle for 30 some, but not much of that has ever been planted since 85.

From what I know of corn it should be good until soil temp comes up. But everything from grapes to feed crops or vegetable gardens I have planted produces better with a good start. The grapevine really surprised me  that 2 or 3 years down the road you could tell the ones stressed in the first year.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

g  How long can a seed stay viable in the ground ?

Evidently a VERY long time with today's treatments.
 My neighbor was telling me about some farms in Minnesota were "frost seeding" corn last fall! Shocked
 Maybe an experiment, IDK, but with different seed treatments of today, seeds can sit without sprouting for a good while.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 8:44pm
Until it gets warm enough and wet to sprout. If it's cold and dry it'll stay in the ground. The scattered corn from last years harvest usually comes up around the same time as this years planting. At least in my corn patch it works that way. I only plant 6 40' rows a year but you can tell all those seeds between the rows aren't from this years seeding. We always have to dig before planting beans to get rid of sprouting corn from last year. I dug my corn patch last year a month after planting the seeds weren't sprouted. Got 90%germenation on the ones I picked out of the ground. We had no water, I reseeded and watered for a few days and had a really bad looking garden distinct rows from the second plant and scattered plants from tilling the first seeding.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 7:58am
Modern seedcorn is pretty amazing stuff. Doubt if they have any trouble. It's been pretty cold here so I've been holding off until last Friday. Supposed to be mid 80's here today and tomorrow and warm for the rest of the ten day forecast. Ground will warm up fast so I planted all my corn over the weekend. Just hope I get to run the combine through it this fall!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Has it been cold, and wet in your area?

Yes, and 99% of these acres had at least a half inch of snow on the fields Confused .
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 7:57pm
Just planted here today.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:57pm
i saw several acres of planted fields 2 weeks ago in western IA, wonder if they have come up yet?
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 8:18am
Planted 4/16....has  about 3/8 sprout...will be fine....cool with a few showers since
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 8:19pm
Finished corn today. The first time.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 10:00am
My tenant planted my corn yesterday.  Beans were put in last week.  Getting a rain today so no field work.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 6:15pm
Warmed up some here. Lotta corn going in this week, looks like most of the nh3 is on. Neighbor fertilized his hay last Thursday. I'm gonna take a cutting off mine and put some pellime and fert on it.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 7:48am
The good neighbor I help  do field work, started Sunday the 25th with 60 acres no-tilling corn on beans. My brother and I kept the VT Plus going 12 hours a day to keep ahead of him. I finished leveling all the corn ground Wed 4/28 and we will have his bean ground done today, when he finishes planting corn.
 I hope the weather reports are right about rain late Sunday or Monday, cause the ground is parched here. Most the corn was planted deeper than usual in order to get close to some moisture and we're running the VT a bit shallower to level the ground without uncovering any moisture.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic