This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

picking ya'lls brains...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: picking ya'lls brains...
    Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 12:22am
i gots a good friend that has a 2010 IH Prostar semi tractor. nice looking truck, he uses it to haul his grain from the farm. he bought it used and has worked very well...until now. he says it runs real well for awhile and then it will shut down to an idle, never knows when it will happen. sometimes he'll drive hundreds of miles before it shuts down. wait several hours and off he goes again. he has had the computer off twice and taken it to IH dealers and they say nothing is wrong with it. everyone he's talked to says it has to be a puter problem. he has replaced about everything on it except the big main puter. like most all owners of their own trucks, he has dressed it up alot. lots of aluminum, new tanks, new tires, new wheels, new everything on the front end, new throttle body, new pump, it's a nice looking truck, he's not sure if he wants to spend the thousands of $$$ for a new main puter in case that don't solve the problem. he's really frustrated and a little gun shy on it right now. any of ya'll have any ideas? or maybe know a fix? it's a 2010 International Prostar, cummins ISX engine, Eaton Fuller 10 speed, has between 750,000/800,000 miles on it.   i told him i'd ask here as ya'll are a wealth of information. thanks 
Sponsored Links

im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 6:35am
Single cam or dual cam engine?
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 7:01am
Best to replace the truck with a Pre-Computer model. I've know lots of people with newer Navistars and the trucks spend more time in the shop than on the road. Local green tractor dealer had one for a rollback and after 3 years and less than 50,000 they got rid of it after it just shut down on a busy interstate. It would be in the shop for a couple months and then they have it for a week or so then it would go back to the shop. 
  The place I worked at awhile back brought a bunch of new ProStars in 2009 and got rid of all of them within 2 years. All of them had electrical and computer issues. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 9:06am
Son has had the same problems with his Western Star with a big Detroit engine 
Will go into limp mode and top speed will be 20 to 30 MPH 
 Last time i drove it for couple days - would do highway speed but took about 3 or 4 miles to get up to it - seemed to be running at about 1/2 power 
  Has been back for warranty more times than it's worked in last year and factory rep has tried several fixes which only solve problems for short time . 
 Other thing when is last time cat converter was cleaned or changed out for reconditioned one ? Had one driver on his rig say life in around 250,000 and they plug and will leave you stranded 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 11:31pm
im4racin...i don't know, i'll ask him when i see him again.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 6:20am
ISX Cummins and DD engines have codes they will throw as to what is happening.  What have been the codes?  

Derates occur after extended idle or low load periods when the DPF becomes loaded to a point needing regen, many of these filters require a Periodic REPLACEMENT with a repair service regenerated unit as the onboard systems cannot fully clean them.  The Western Star I routinely drive has 294,xxx miles and has had this performed now once, the freightliner I also run is at 125,xxx and is due for the procedure, BOTH have DD13 Detroit Diesels in them.  Heavy machines the company owns with the systems warn the operator a Regen is about to occur where they can get to a sideline position to allow the machine to do its business, takes about fifteen minutes, where most of the trucks require a fifteen minute idle period before shutdown to allow the calibration system in the processor to evaluate the emissions system.

Edited by DMiller - 25 Apr 2021 at 6:21am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 3:16am
i think the converter was removed on it. he says when it goes down to idle it won't hardly pull itself, goes down to 2-3 MPH. loaded or empty.  
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 6:16pm
After dad died 10 years ago, we sold 3500 bushel of soybeans outta his bin. He could have gotten $14.00 but for them, then Carter embargoed everything going to the Russians.   The price dropped faster than the ball in Times square on new years night. Yes they had been in there that long.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 29 Apr 2021 at 6:17pm
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 9:46pm
Tom, did you mean to comment on this thread?
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 9:58pm
A few years ago I was having trouble with my 97 Freighliner with a Cat 3126 engine.  Got to the point I wasn't dependable to drive.  Took it to an independent dealer, who finally diagnosed it as a faulty main engine computer.  One of the mechanics there mentioned he heard of an outfit that can reprogram the computer, don't remember the exact cost but it was less then $2,000 including overnight shipping both ways. When it came back, the shop manager told me it would be like a new truck.  He was right.  I asked how he knew it would be so much better.  He told me he got a call from the outfit in Texas that did the reprogram, the person asked if this was a truck or a gen set as it was set up for a Gen set.  The reman engine must have been set up for a generator and nobody noticed that when they put it in the truck.
I don't know the name of the outfit in Texas but I'm sure some time on the internet would find it.  Might be a lot cheaper then a new computer.

Edited by JohnColo - 01 May 2021 at 5:44pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 12:29am
thanks John...i'll tell him to check that out. he might be interested in selling the truck as he's pretty bummed about it. 
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 6:47am
Did you ask......???
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 8:24pm
DANG IT!!! i fergots....PffffT!
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 10:30pm
Ball is in your court!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 11:22pm
i saw him today, he says it's a dual cam...mean anything?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic