This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD4 Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomwestky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD4 Brakes
    Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 5:47am
I want to rebuild the steering brakes on my HD4.  Does anyone know a source for the rivets/pads???

Thanks!
Tom Westerfield
Crofton, Kentucky
Sponsored Links

John(IN) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 6:22pm
Might find them at Minnpar.com
Learn something every day!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 12:04pm
I found linings off a IH machine and redrilled them to fit my HD5, used a rivit press at local truck company to rivit. also check McMaster Carr they might have bulk lining. Another source would be brake shop as I have gotten lining material from them in past. Independant shops , not chain store ones as they have no idea other than their supplier of automotive parts. Some truck supply houses might also be source as on some trucks the emergency brake is a band on transmission output shaft.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
tomwestky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomwestky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 3:11pm
According to the person I spoke with, they only sell complete bands, and they are GOLD plated.  Thanks for the suggestion.
tomwestky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomwestky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 3:13pm
Thanks for your suggestion.  Had not thought that.  It appears that getting them out is a pretty good chore, so that will come first, then a visit to a friend who own a truck repair center.

Tom Westerfield
Crofton, Kentucky
John(IN) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 1:22pm
Tom, I went ahead and checked the price at Minnpar and the complete band with lining was $361 (must be gold) and the lining kit was almost as bad at $93.  The kit part number wasn't in my parts book but had been written in as 251822.
tomwestky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomwestky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 2:05pm
Thank you very much.  You found out more from MP than I did.
Tom
John(IN) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 3:29pm
There website has a parts lookup section where you can enter the original A-C part numbers and search for price and available quantity of stock on hand.  I've only bought a few parts from there but was very satisfied with the service from them.  Never have talked to them on the phone. 
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 7:52pm
I have another suggestion.   When i was on the hunt for brake linings for my HD16, ('59)  i had no luck what so ever.   Obsolete, no longer in existence blah blah,  everyone told me.  I contacted Tony Carbaugh and he had my brakes custom relined by a gentleman who relines brakes for cable drums, steam tractors, and sawmill equipment, etc.   Long story short,   my brakes turned out fantastic.  I was very pleased with the quality of the work, and Tony was great to work with.
tomwestky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomwestky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 8:17pm
Good idea.  I concur with your appraisal of Carbaugh.  I've done some business with him and find him quite responsive.
Stumpy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 7:49pm
I have a 1958 HD16 that the starter has died. The fields are bad. It is the old style with the push-rod in the floor that engages it. Can someone suggest a replacement starter, maybe a newer style, wired for a key, or know where I can find another starter.  Have run out of places to look. Any help is appreciated.
Stumpy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 7:53pm
I was also wondering if the HD21 may have the same starter setup. The old one I have is the Delco Remy 888, 11-tooth bendix, solenoid on top of the starter.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 11:18pm

Delco M 42 starter , have one like this on my HD5G 2-71 detroit. check with bone yard for starter off most Cummings, Detroit or other diesel engines.  Noze cone is boltd to housing and can be rotated for solonoid placement.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:56pm
Back to the original post..... A truck service/brake shop relined mine for $85 per side. Just brought him the old bands.
1961 H3
tomwestky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomwestky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 7:05am
Have contacted a local repair shop that says he can fix'em.  Soon as the weather brakes, out they come.

TWW
randalleky View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randalleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 8:44am
tom, i bought a set of brake pads and rivets from illini construction parts for 83.00 dollars. randaleky
randalleky
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic