This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2012 Dodge Challenger sxt tranny slip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 Dodge Challenger sxt tranny slip
    Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 12:04pm
Got a 12 Dodge Challenger SXT - I know a 6 banger- but it looks awesome ! Anyway backed it out of the shed this morning and seemed the transmission was slipping - put it in drive - moved forward solid- drove good - but now wondering why it slipped backing up - gonna do a fluid / filter change , its got 70,000 miles on it bought it at 64000 miles and dont know the history , tia
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 12:46pm
maybe from sitting awhile? if you drove it around awhile, prolly got it all lubed up inside again. 
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 2:50pm
Yes it did do good after running it , but its the first time its done this - honestly i prefer anything pre 2002 , manual tranny - but dam this car looked good ! 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 4:12pm
A good oil change and check for proper fill will probably fix it.. I like to change the trans oil when ever we get a used vehicle... You dont know the history and most people ignore the trans. maintenance.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:23pm
friend who is a master mechanic said to change it on schedule or never do it. He has seen several get the fluid changed after 100k to have it fail a week later. Not sure if that's a valid statement because they might have been having issues and decided a change was worth a shot. The wife's old Camry which my daughter is driving now has 210k on it and the fluid has never been changed.........knock on wood.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 10:20pm
I have a 2006 Dodge pickup, if it sits for a week or longer and I jump in and try to back up it doesn't want to go, just let it warm up for as little as a minute and seems fine.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 6:00am
Is it the 3.6L V6 & 5 speed automatic? If so then it has a Mercedes-Benz 5G-Tronic W5A580 (2008-2014). It is a Nag1 (new automatic generation 1). Here’s a google web link that briefly discusses it.

Also, here’s a somewhat generic web link that discusses this tran’s problems, codes, & costs. You might do an OBD2 scan to see if any trans codes appear. CEL may not initiate for all trans codes??

https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/dodge-challenger-transmission-problems/https://www.google.com/amp/s/gearstar.com/nag1-transmissions-5-things-conscious-of/amp/

Edited by AC7060IL - 29 Mar 2021 at 6:03am
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 8:06am
Thanks for all answers, the last one with the link and water gets me thinking- it sets in a shed that can have condensation,, probably be better setting outside under cover, but I just they will do that anyw6 except in a climate controlled building

Edited by DougG - 29 Mar 2021 at 8:32am
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 7:08pm
DougG, you’re welcome. Congratulations on owning a newer Mopar muscle car. Yes, the 3rd gen Challengers are great looking cars.

After Chrysler acquired Mercedes-Benz, Chrysler installed the Mercedes-Benz W5A580 heavy-duty transmission into the Chargers, Challengers, Avengers, Magnums, etc, plus Jeeps, Jaguar, Ssangyong, Porsche, Freightliner, plus many Mercedes-Benz W & R models.

W~Wandler(German term that translates to “Converter” in English).
5~ Gang~“Gear.
A~Automatik~automatic.
580~Torque(NM~428Ft/lbs).

Sooooooo—- there is loads of info for the W5A580 on the internet (google/YouTube/Dodge forums, etc.)
Check out YouTube, there’s lots of videos from changing fluid to rebuilding.

Edited by AC7060IL - 29 Mar 2021 at 7:15pm
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 7:41pm
Ill check it all out - I was in the past - and still am a 1970,s B body Plymouth / Dodge guy - ran across this Challenger, and was ummm , yeah ,, maybe - this was on a tuesday , said if they still have it on Saturday - its mine , they still had it and yup its mine, thanks for all info
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 6:58pm
I love them too much also!!!
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 3:06pm
I'dl ike to have my old 1969 Super Bee back
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 7:01pm
I got a 70 Roadrunner with a built 440 that  will lite em up real quick- fun car to drive!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic