This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paint removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paint removal
    Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 12:29am
I spent the afternoon removing paint from the outside of some very weathered empty bee hives. I bought a Gator Stone. Its a very rough man made piece of aggressive stone like substance that fits in your 4" angle grinder. You gotta remove the grinder shield cause its actually about 4 3/4" across. It eats old weathered paint right off and leaves real shiny wood. Problem is, if it slips a little it'll eat the skin off of your first finger on your left hand. Of in my case brighten your skin up a whole lot. Got's a good face mask and a face shield, you need them with this thing. Dang bee hive paint is now $48.00 per gallon. But you can paint it on when the temp is down to 33°. Gots 9 boxes repaired and paint ground off ready to repaint. Only got 58 or 60 more boxes to go. Old gal has got me delivering tomorrow morning then I got's ta put 4 new tires on the kids trailer tomorrow. 700x15 8 plys.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 5:28am
hmmm special beehive paint...
curious am i.... could you use white 'bedliner' paint ? It's dang tough,kinda textured ?
also, would a 'soda blaster' remove the old paint? they use baking soda as the 'grit'.

any chance the 'kid' swapping labours with you ???
jes wondering....
Jay

Edited by jaybmiller - 23 Mar 2021 at 5:29am
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 8:38am
when it was really cold we used highway/parking lot paint, cheap and dries fast, but if it's warm and the wood isn't primed it will dry so fast it won't have time to set to the wood.  It's durable stuff but oil based and cleanup is a pain when using a spray gun

Don't remember now but think we got the 5 gal buckets for $120 at Sherwin Williams.

Edited by Kansas99 - 23 Mar 2021 at 8:39am
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 6:14pm
I would imagine the inside of a hive is very humid?
Oil base is the choice?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic