This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another DOT question- utillity trailer tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 4:00pm
I think on "TRAILERS" it depends on what your trailer is used for... A  2-3 axle camper or a 10K  car hauler that travels thousands of miles, and / or hauls  9- 10K loads all the time should have ST tires..

If you have a utility trailer that you use 5-6 times a year to go to Menards to pickup lumber, or haul a couple 4 wheelers to the farm to play, then P rated tires are probably fine for that application.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Sponsored Links

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 4:31pm
Just checked my 2018 Silverado and it has P265/165R18 on it . That's what came on it . Hope that's not a bad thing . Thanks
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 6:33pm
one thing for sure, whatever is 'stock', will be the cheapest thing  to be put on by the factory..... keeps the profit margin higherBig smile
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 7:20pm
Hard to believe Jay . Next you'll be telling me there ain't no Easter Bunny 😁
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 7:28pm
I don't agree with that either Jay.

The truck I have now 2016 F-350 SRW came with Michelins that I took off at 55,000 miles and were still legal, but I wanted new tires before winter.

The F-350 dually that I had before had BF Goodrich TA's. I got over 90,000 miles on the rear tires and over 60,000 on the fronts.

I wouldn't call either Michelins on BF Goodrich TA's cheap tires !
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 8:02pm
My brother bought a new 8k car trailer last year, was supposed to be one of the nicer ones around. Anyway, I used it for a light 2 ton haul any the tires were warm after a few road hours. I thought they were not heavy enough and told him maybe look for something a little heavier. He called me shortly after as a sidewall cut loose with just a car on a 4 hour trip. He did change all 4 tires to I believe 12 ply. Remember, this was a new trailer. My guess is tires are a good place to save money when manufacturing and go unnoticed to many. Any local tire place should be able to give good advice for your needs.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 8:11pm
one thing for sure, whatever is 'stock', will be the cheapest thing  to be put on by the factory.

Factories always work off PRICE FIRST... If you want a tire that is rated at 3200# for a F350 then you look at all the possibilities... Maybe Goodyear and Firestone are your only options.. Who ever has the BEST PRICE gets the bid "normally"..... Are there CHEAPER TIRES ?  SURE.... Do they meet the SPEC that the manufacture wants ?  NO... If they did, they would be one of the suppliers.

Tires on cars are not as critical as they can normally be rated at 1600 or 1800# load.. You see a LOT OF NAMES on car tires that you never saw 20 years ago.

here is a list of tires sold on AMAZON for newer cars .... if you have a newer CAR,, look at the factory tire Manufacturer... Some you have never heard of.

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Mar 2021 at 8:17pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by allisbred allisbred wrote:

My brother bought a new 8k car trailer last year, was supposed to be one of the nicer ones around. Anyway, I used it for a light 2 ton haul any the tires were warm after a few road hours. I thought they were not heavy enough and told him maybe look for something a little heavier. He called me shortly after as a sidewall cut loose with just a car on a 4 hour trip. He did change all 4 tires to I believe 12 ply. Remember, this was a new trailer. My guess is tires are a good place to save money when manufacturing and go unnoticed to many. Any local tire place should be able to give good advice for your needs.

Many trailer builders are notorious for installing Chinese tires and having an optional upgrade to better quality tires. A lot of people look solely for price when buying a trailer, so the dealers don't get the upgraded tires.

When I bought my Montana fifth wheel it had (Chinese) Trailer King tires on it. It had about 1,000 miles on it and I was checking it over and found tread separation on one of the tires. (Did you ever see how much damage a blowout can do to a camping trailer?) I now have four Goodyear Endurance. They weren't cheap, but I feel a lot better with the Goodyear's on it, than I did with the Trailer Kings.

Edited by WF owner - 22 Mar 2021 at 8:42pm
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 9:11pm
I looked my sons trailer over today, it used to be mine. The tires on it are 20+ years old. Even though they have good tread depth, there will be 4 new 700x 15 Multi Mile trailer tires on it by 5:00 tomorrow night.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 5:58pm
re: ...2016 F-350 SRW came with Michelins

it'd be interesting to know if they were the BASE tires or an 'upgrade' ? MFRs pull 'tricks' to upsell everything they can to make more profit. Frankly it's crazy what some spend on 'tires and rims' for their 'rides',specially the guys who never ,ever go offroad with their $$$$ 4wd trucks.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 6:39pm
You're right Jay . When I bought my truck the dealership had several sets of tires and wheels off brand new trucks that the buyer replaced with bigger ones .
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

re: ...2016 F-350 SRW came with Michelins

it'd be interesting to know if they were the BASE tires or an 'upgrade' ? MFRs pull 'tricks' to upsell everything they can to make more profit. Frankly it's crazy what some spend on 'tires and rims' for their 'rides',specially the guys who never ,ever go offroad with their $$$$ 4wd trucks.

I know exact replacements were over $1400 for a set of four.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic